Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Memoria 1st Grade Require Memoria Kinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Memoria 1st Grade Require Memoria Kinder?

Hey everyone,

I just discovered Memoria and am thrilled with it. We’re halfway through the Kindergarten year using other materials (Singapore Dimensions Math, All About Reading and Zaner Bloser Handwriting).

Would you switch to using a Memoria kindergarten now if you plan to start Memoria in 1st? Our current stuff is working well, but I feel somewhat directionless with it and am wondering if and how far we’ll be behind next year.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Anastasia

How far are you in AAR? I would say you need to complete AAR2 (or at least 1/2) to start First grade. So, the question is, do you already own AAR2?
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Okay, that's good to know. We're just a handful of lessons into AAR1 since each lesson has multiple aspects. Haven't yet purchased Level 2.

I'm forming my ideas as we go, which feels something like learning to sail while out to sea. My current set up came recommended by homeschoolers at my church, but a fully charted course is starting to make more sense to me than assembling a general scope each year pulled from various resources. I'm new at this!

I'm also eyeing a Cottage School nearby which I'm assuming would require making the switch mid-year were we to join in January. What would you do from here? Thanks for your help.
      Last edited by anastasiacampos; 11-06-2019, 09:15 PM.

Comment

An MP cottage school nearby? I would run with pants on fire right over to their doorstep. Yesterday. Haha!

Honestly, I would call them up and chat. Let them know what you're using and how far you are into it. They may say January sounds awesome and give you some specifics to work on until then. They may say September sounds awesome and here are some things to work on until then. Or, they may say Johnny just moved away last week, would you like his spot?

It's hard to tell until you chat with their director. Go for a site visit. They'd probably love to tell you all about MP and let you look through books to get a real feel for classical homeschool curriculum and whether it's a good fit for your child and your family.
        Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
        DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
        DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

You wouldn't be the first one to abandon a less cohesive curriculum mid-year and sell it all to go full-in with Memoria Press. I think many of us parents had that same bright awakening. K is so beautiful. I'm assembling the read alouds I don't have for it now. I think 1/2 year is better than a massive transition where you don't know what your gaps are and don't have the time to take the summer to revisit anything not fully grasped. Each MP core is so comprehensive that it perfectly prepares you for each level up. When we came to MP, we did have to go down a grade level to brush up on their prerequisites and approach over the summer. So, if you don't go to the cottage school, you can at least order MP1 in the Spring, fully read it over and see if you need to back up with some of the workbooks (like FSR B, C or D).
          Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
          DD 8-3A
          DS 5-SC C

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
            An MP cottage school nearby? I would run with pants on fire right over to their doorstep. Yesterday. Haha!

Honestly, I would call them up and chat. Let them know what you're using and how far you are into it. They may say January sounds awesome and give you some specifics to work on until then. They may say September sounds awesome and here are some things to work on until then. Or, they may say Johnny just moved away last week, would you like his spot?

It's hard to tell until you chat with their director. Go for a site visit. They'd probably love to tell you all about MP and let you look through books to get a real feel for classical homeschool curriculum and whether it's a good fit for your child and your family.
            I’m new to the forum structure — is this how I reply directly to you? By quoting? I just wrote the Cottage School coordinator an e-mail and requested a tour. Exciting! Thanks for your insight.

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
              You wouldn't be the first one to abandon a less cohesive curriculum mid-year and sell it all to go full-in with Memoria Press. I think many of us parents had that same bright awakening. K is so beautiful. I'm assembling the read alouds I don't have for it now. I think 1/2 year is better than a massive transition where you don't know what your gaps are and don't have the time to take the summer to revisit anything not fully grasped. Each MP core is so comprehensive that it perfectly prepares you for each level up. When we came to MP, we did have to go down a grade level to brush up on their prerequisites and approach over the summer. So, if you don't go to the cottage school, you can at least order MP1 in the Spring, fully read it over and see if you need to back up with some of the workbooks (like FSR B, C or D).
              So helpful. Thank you for the sound advice. It’s exactly what I was curious about — whether the shift would in fact be massive and ways to prepare. Sorry, what do the letters you mention stand for?

Comment

FSR is First Start Reading
                Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Working...
                X