Multiplication in Second Grade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiplication in Second Grade?

I was perusing the scope & sequence for second grade mathematics, and two items listed are "understand the concept of basic multiplication" and "recite their multiplication table through 5." I noted that there is no multiplication work in the body of second grade R&S. However, the TM on p. 11 says that multiplication is optional for grade 2, and describes how to teach them starting at lesson 124. Is this something built into the lesson plans so I don't have to worry about noting to do this? Or should I make a note in my lesson plan to start following the TM plan to implement this option?
    My daughter is strong in mathematics and I think she is ready to start multiplication. I am a bit wary of the R&S second grade plan because this doesn't seem like much of an introduction to explain what multiplication *is*. I am big on memorization & recitation, but I want to be sure she gets the concept as well. I know they are taught as new concepts in third grade, but I'm wondering if this way of introduction in second is the way to go. Am I missing something?

I believe it's just introduced as skip counting. The kids learn to skip count by 2 pretty early. They discuss odd and even. They skip count by 5 when doing nickles and 10 with dimes. Those are all covered in first grade I think; which is pretty standard. That leaves just 3 and 4 to cover at the end of second grade in order to meet that scope and sequence you saw.

​​​
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

I wrote a whole beautiful thing....and it's gone. Grrr.

Mmmkay...moving on. It's just skip counting by 2, 5, and 10 in the main course. The actual multiplication tables are totally optional extra worksheets. That's my long answer in far fewer sentences.

I was wrong in above answer on facts 3 and 4....they're not taught in 2nd grade that I saw at all.
      Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
      DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
      DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

The way R&S begins the multiplication work in second grade is by using a visual aid of a key on which the multiplication facts are listed. Al they do with it is start memorizing those facts on the key. And yes, it’s only a few sets that they cover in second. It’s totally optional and the note in lesson 124 stresses that many children are not ready to begin multiplication work until third so don’t worry about it until then.

I don’t see either the delay or the need to jump the gun and get going on it as being that much of a concern. Usually my second graders come to me at some point and say something to the effect of, “You know what, Mom, since two twos make four, if I add in another two, that’s six. Three twos make six!” Or something along those lines. You can start small like that, using any kind of manipulative to begin understanding the concept - that it’s basically a way to add - but faster. Once they understand adding really really well - like they do in R&S because of the emphasis on drilling their facts - the switch over to multiplication usually goes pretty smoothly.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 7.5
        DD, 5.5
        +DS+
        DS, 18 months

Comment

Caitlin, you are correct that the Scope & Sequence said second grade covers multiplication through 5 in second grade. Sarah is also correct in that multiplication doesn't begin until Lesson 124 and it is designated as optional. In our classes here at HLS, we do go ahead and introduce the 3, and 4 multiplication families though Rod & Staff only covers the 1, 2, 5, and 10 families since those are the ones students are most familiar with since they have been skip counting since Kindergarten. I have updated the Scope & Sequence document to reflect what is actually covered in Rod & Staff in the 2nd grade level book. Remember those lessons are included because some students are ready at this level to go ahead and begin memorizing the tables but there is no need to rush because this concept is thoroughly covered in 3rd grade. It is hard not to rush ahead when concepts seem easily understood but slow and steady is the way to mastery!

Comment

Thanks to all for your input! Sarah, she is commenting on "if you add two four times you get eight." Maybe I just need to let it be and let her continue her observations. She loves skip counting and thinking about numbers and finding number patterns, so I think I just wanted to capitalize on her interest. Perhaps I should just let it go for now, do the optional activities, and wait until 3rd. When we started second she was really dragging her feet with her facts (I posted about it and you made SUCH a helpful response) and now she's really loving math and getting excited to move on.

Michelle, thank you for your encouragement to just let things be! I'll revisit when we get to lesson 124 and see if we should proceed with the optional extras. I think at that point she'll be ready to begin memorizing the tables because she loves memorizing things in general, but I'll hold off worrying about the rest until it is introduced in 3rd!

Comment

Yes, last year toward the end I really hemmed and hawed about moving on to multiplication facts when the higher addition and subtraction facts weren't rapidly recalled. I printed out the keys and blank keys. These are pages 163-168 in the Blacklines. We did them as a secondary focus, not the main meat of the lesson.

I am glad she had the exposure. A few problems popped up on her standardized test that she aced. I don't think multiplication really started in earnest until this year. Skip counting did not help my daughter know that 3x9=27, she just had to memorize it. It's definitely a crutch that helped, much like counting on your fingers until you have the mental space to commit it to memory.

Bu the way, where in the 2nd grade Recitation does it say to skip count by 3s and 4s? I don't remember seeing this in the CM, R&S Arithmetic 2 TM, or MP2 Recitation. I only saw counting by 2's, 5's and 25's, with 10's being from years prior obviously.
              Michelle T Are Kindergarteners skip counting by 3s and 4s at HLS?
              Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
              DD 8-3A
              DS 5-SC C

Comment

Kindergarteners only skip count by 2's, 5's, 10's, and 25's- once they have introduced the quarter in calendar time. We don't skip count by 3's or 4's at that age. I have heard 2nd graders adding that in to their routine though.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitlin View Post
                  Thanks to all for your input! Sarah, she is commenting on "if you add two four times you get eight." Maybe I just need to let it be and let her continue her observations. She loves skip counting and thinking about numbers and finding number patterns, so I think I just wanted to capitalize on her interest. Perhaps I should just let it go for now, do the optional activities, and wait until 3rd. When we started second she was really dragging her feet with her facts (I posted about it and you made SUCH a helpful response) and now she's really loving math and getting excited to move on.
                  Yes, it is so fun and exciting when you see their little brains working and making those discoveries all on their own. I think it shows that they are developing number “sense” and I love that. But I still don’t make a big deal about it. The path R&S takes is so steady and appropriate that I trust the progression of their actual lessons and do not add in the extra drill on multiplication. In your case especially, where you have had to reignite a love for math, I would enjoy where she is and stick to the regular lessons. There’s really no need to go looking for frustration, you know?

And I am so glad to hear that your daughter is doing so much better! That’s fantastic!

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                  DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 7.5
                  DD, 5.5
                  +DS+
                  DS, 18 months