Question: Colorful Letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Colorful Letters

I apologize in advance if the answer to my question is somewhere in my teacher's guide, but I just can't find it and fear I'm confusing my students.

We are on Lesson 9 of TS2 and did colorful letters today. I noticed in my guide that several vowel/consonant combinations were marked in red, as if vowels.

For example:
    "on" in wagon, "le" in circle, "er" in center, "en" in given, "ar" in cellar, "er" in hunger. However, "in" in begin was not written in red. The i was red and the n blue.

So I'm missing something here. I thought vowels were red and consonants blue. Sometimes when a consonant is part of a vowel team as is "aw" or "ay" the consonant is marked red. Got that.

I'm understanding that perhaps we re to mark "r" controlled vowels in red, as the r changes the sound of the vowel. Is that correct? But, I'm not understanding why we are marking "on" and "en" and "le" as vowels. Please help me understand, so that I can help my students understand. Thank you so very much!

Click image for larger version  Name:	spelling.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	117441 a
    Shawna
    Last edited by ShawnaB; 10-30-2019, 10:35 PM.

I think these are because the consonants you mention augment the vowel (-le, -on-, -en, -ar) and are therefore treated as a team. I'm sure you'll get a better explanation you can trot out in public tomorrow.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Just as Jessica indicated the teams le, on, and en are typically at the end of words and thus their own syllable. They are colored red because they are part of the "vowel team" since you can hear a definite vowel sound even though you can also hear part of a consonant sound. Thus they fall under the same umbrella as the r-controlled vowel teams. In the word begin there are two syllables be - gin. The last syllable is the one causing the confusion. -in is not considered an affix or a team, it is simply a syllable with a short vowel sound so only the i should be marked in red. Each of the sounds in that syllable are distinct and can be separated into individual sounds. This is the real difference.

Comment

[QUOTE=ShawnaB;n117440] I thought vowels were red and consonants blue. /QUOTE]

Coming from a different color-coding background, I had to get used to this but the consonants in TS are actually black. They're only blue when in a consonant blend/team.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
        MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
        MPOA: High School Comp. II
        HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
        MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
        MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
        HSC: Modern European History

DS12
        7M with:
        Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
        SC Level 4

DD9
        3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
        Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
        SC Level C

Comment

Jen, you are correct. Individual consonants are just pencil colored which looks black. Vowels and vowel teams - red, consonant teams and blends- blue, only silent e should be black. The strike out of silent e should be black as well. I wish the actual color coding in the back could differentiate between the pencil color of consonants and the actual black silent e's but it doesn't. The goal is for that silent e to pop! If you look in the front of your TS Teacher Manual the color coding system is explained well.

Comment

Working...
          X