Clarification on Clover Patch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarification on Clover Patch?

I'm getting ready to introduce the Clover Patch in two weeks, and I'm feeling a little obtuse.

We always have 10 pink clovers in the patch. Some have bees and some don't. Got that. My question is, should the clovers that are more than 10 be a different color? The instructions said to make some red-violet clovers. In other words, if I am trying to show the triplet 11 9,2 should I have 9 pink clovers with bees, 1 pink clover without and one clover another color? I am trying to figure out the whole ""We think 10 pink" thing. Do I always want the students seeing 10 pink clovers? Thank you?

All the blossom chart clovers are the same color. I’m not sure the clover color is important unless you think the color differentiations will aid your child’s memorization.

Comment

Yes. Always see ten pink. So it's 10 plus how many. Think: 10 pink clovers plus two of another color. Your clover patch should be two colors: pink and one other color.
      Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
      DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
      DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Michelle T , I'm sorry, I think I'm mixing my terms. I meant "Clover Patch", not "Blossom Charts".....in the Clover Patch, are the clovers that are greater than 10 supposed to be a different color?
        Colomama says yes (thank you!) , and that is what intuitively makes sense to me, but is not totally explicit in the TG. (unless I missed it, which is entirely possible.) But, do I understand right that 10 clovers are pink, some with bees and some without. And the clovers in excess of 10 are another colors, so we always keep 10 as our base?

Comment

Yes, I think it said somewhere in the manual to do this, and if you look at the top of each workbook page, even in black and white the numbers greater than 10 are either darker or lighter than the base 10. We just did dark pink vs. light pink. It worked fine. Actually, come to think of it, I printed all the clover blossoms on light pink cardstock, and then I colored the other ones darker pink.
          Mama to 2

Summer:
          MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
          SY 20/21
          4A

Comment

I have understood it like this: The bees would be the number you are adding. So 9+3 would have 9 pink clovers with bees, 1 without a bee (now you are at 10....the next 2 would be the other color. 10+2 = 9+3.
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
              Yes. Always see ten pink. So it's 10 plus how many. Think: 10 pink clovers plus two of another color. Your clover patch should be two colors: pink and one other color.
              I didn't make an actual clover patch, but I did use two pink colors to color them in the workbook itself. It only took me a few minutes to color all of them in the unit 2 book. The first ten I did light and those above 10 were darker. The teaching prompts will point this out as you go through the lessons.

I did make the blossom/bee chart itself with the triplets on each bee. You add them slow enough that you can cut out about one bee per week if you can't make it all ahead.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2020-2021
              11th year HSing · 9th year MP
              @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
              11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

pickandgrin That. Is. Brilliant. (coloring in the book) Seems like a perfect alternative to making the big poster if only teaching one child.

By the say, can I just say how much I am loving Rod and Staff math? I'm sorry to say that over the years, I judged it to be too much "kill and drill." With my first 4 kids, I used a number of curriculums (primarily MathUSee and Teaching Textbooks), but I always had to find something else to reinforce for mastery. Mostly it was computer aided games (which I don't love). And even still, I don't think my kids had mastery as I would have liked.

Then, trying to teach a group of 6 last year in a classroom, I worked way, way too hard trying to find and print fact practice sheets. Because the curriculum I was using just, simply did not have enough repetition. It was way too fast to move onto new and more complex ways of solving the same math problems...but students just never spent enough time practicing the same thing to get to the point that it was automatic.

In the classroom setting, I am really liking R&S, and I think my students are doing great. I'm even teaching two levels within my group of 8 students this year, and it still works.

Jessica, how are you liking this first year of using it at home?

Comment

We are on our 6th year of using it at home actually! I'm just a slacker about doing all the things in each lesson. My oldest didn't need that at all and my second got by ok. My third and fourth have needed more and it's all already there, I just have to do it. In watching my older kids (geometry & alg 1 this year) I'm getting better at judging where my one on one time is best spent with younger kids for maximum value down the line. We are all in on 2nd and 5th R&S this year!
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

2020-2021
                  11th year HSing · 9th year MP
                  @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
                  11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
                  X