The Disappearing Word trick, and other tools from MP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Disappearing Word trick, and other tools from MP

You know how something just sounds annoying to try to do, and like a sullen kid you dig your heels in and don't do it - until one day you decide to try. Like taking a bite of broccoli for the first time with a semi-open mind, you realize that all your stubborn digging in didn't do you any favors... you love broccoli.

I've taken to using this disappearing word tool in the last 2 weeks and all of a sudden, stuff is just "going into their heads". It's annoying, yet working better than copying, repeating, reciting, flash cards, or any other fast tool that doesn't require much effort on my part. I hate to say it, but laziness is still with me today. You'd think I'd learn.

I finally decided to try it with the 6 time zones for recitation. A whole 3 minutes later, each kid - including the K kiddo listening in - knew them perfectly. Lists of presidents, same. Bible verses - yep. English Grammar Recitation - sheesh..yes..

For some reason, this was right up there with the blossom charts for Math 2. I did not want to make them, and finally caved and made an ugly but workable version - for MP3 no less. OF COURSE they work.... Flash cards....my kid-brain is whining "whyyyyyyy"... You all know how well those work. These techniques are more than just ideas - they are certifiable tools in the toolkit.

I'm so grateful to MP - sometimes they bring me broccoli and it takes me a bit, but I finally give in and take an "honest" bite (you food aversion parents will know this well). You guys are awesome. I'm slowly growing up and I'm having an incredible year 2 with MP so far.
    Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
    DS (MP2) - 7/8
    DS (K) - 6
    DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

This is so funny only because it's so true!

Btw, if anyone thinks they don't like broccoli then they haven't had Chef Cindy's Garlic Roasted Broccoli at Sodalitas or Teacher Training. So how's that for a complete analogy!?
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Calling out Chef Cindy's recipe!!! Please share!
      Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
      DS (MP2) - 7/8
      DS (K) - 6

Comment

Does anyone else struggle with the Disappearing Word/Line method because they can't remember the previous lines themselves?? My memory has worsened over the past few years and I've found I can't lead the DL method because of it. Has anyone else struggled with this and figured out a way around it?
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
        MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
        MPOA: High School Comp. II
        HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
        MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
        MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
        HSC: Modern European History

DS12
        7M with:
        Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
        SC Level 4

DD9
        3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
        Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
        SC Level C

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
          I'm so grateful to MP - sometimes they bring me broccoli and it takes me a bit, but I finally give in and take an "honest" bite (you food aversion parents will know this well). You guys are awesome. I'm slowly growing up and I'm having an incredible year 2 with MP so far.
          Aw, on behalf of MP, thank you! Know that we couldn't do this without all of the invaluable feedback YOU who are "in the trenches" provide!

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
          Btw, if anyone thinks they don't like broccoli then they haven't had Chef Cindy's Garlic Roasted Broccoli at Sodalitas or Teacher Training.
          Originally posted by MBentley View Post
          Calling out Chef Cindy's recipe!!! Please share!
          I spoke with Cyndi and she said there's actually no garlic! Here's her recipe:
          1. Toss broccoli with olive oil and salt.
          2. Spread on a baking tray and bake at 400-425°F until done. (She specifically said she never sets a timer.)
          HTH!
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

Sheesh. I don't even try. I just hold my Teacher Manual for whatever subject while I write it up or go over it. I let them yell it out from memory...if I participated, they'd realize I didn't know half of what I'm requiring of them.!
            Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
            DS (MP2) - 7/8
            DS (K) - 6

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              2. Spread on a baking tray and bake at 400-425°F until done. (She specifically said she never sets a timer.)
              HTH!
              No garlic! Now that is an amazing result with only oil and salt. Looking forward to trying this!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
              @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                Does anyone else struggle with the Disappearing Word/Line method because they can't remember the previous lines themselves?? My memory has worsened over the past few years and I've found I can't lead the DL method because of it. Has anyone else struggled with this and figured out a way around it?
                When I teach Logic, I use my kids' music stand as a podium. You could set the text on the podium such that you can see it but the kids can't.
                Amanda
                Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

jen1134 In a word, we're all cheating!
                  Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                  DS (MP2) - 7/8
                  DS (K) - 6

Comment

Originally posted by Nerdmom View Post

When I teach Logic, I use my kids' music stand as a podium. You could set the text on the podium such that you can see it but the kids can't.
                    I stand in front of my older kids at the whiteboard to teach Classical Composition and Novare science - both subjects I enjoy but I start at 7:30 in the morning. Since I'm still sipping my coffee and the caffeine hasn't had time to work its magic, I usually have to hold the book in my hand to peek and be sure I have things like the nine narrative components or the electromagnetic spectrum in the correct order. Of course, my two big kids have these down cold because *drumroll please* I used the disappearing line trick. It obviously didn't work on me.

I am SO buying a music stand. Mainly because I am prideful and want my children to think of me as smarter than I am. Bless you, Nerdmom, for sharing this!
                    Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                      This is so funny only because it's so true!

Btw, if anyone thinks they don't like broccoli then they haven't had Chef Cindy's Garlic Roasted Broccoli at Sodalitas or Teacher Training. So how's that for a complete analogy!?
                      Can I hear an amen?!? I like broccoli, but that creation is simply amazing! I would enroll at HLS just for lunch. I still we could have a repeat one year of the hot brown she fixed the first day I was at Sodalitas.
                      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

We have used the disappearing line technique occasionally, but I will admit that we don’t use it all the time. I may try it now that my son just started second form. Fresh start and all...I do liken it to the game we have played in scouts/Suzuki where a person says their name and a random fact and you have to say their name &fact and everyone else’s from the start before you can introduce yourself. It really makes me concentrate so I don’t look like a fool. More than reciting the chart repeatedly, it really makes you concentrate because there is nothing there to look at.
                        Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                        DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                        DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                        DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                        DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                          I am SO buying a music stand. Mainly because I am prideful and want my children to think of me as smarter than I am. Bless you, Nerdmom, for sharing this!
                          https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I have. Sturdy, adjustable, does the trick.

Happy to help!

Amanda
                          Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

We just tried the disappearing line trick for multiplication facts today and had some remarkable success. We are also queens of mnemonics over here. We have occasionally adjusted the order of EGR answers just to make a memorable word. And I love how all the memory work starts to click in their heads...this has been a beautiful week for me! I just wish I could get motivated to read the rest of Farmer Boy. My 8yo is obsessed. Thank God for TMs!
                            Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
                            DD 8-3A
                            DS 5-SC C

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

HTH!
                              My suggestion: when done, squeeze over them a bit of fresh lemon juice, and sprinkle with grated (real!) Parmigiano. Garlic is OVERRATED. There, I said it.

Comment

Working...
                              X