American History book recs for 3rd grader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American History book recs for 3rd grader

My MP3er has been read all of the MP3 American History read alouds, and she has reread them all, and some even twice (she loves the biographies of Clara Barton and Laura Ingalls Wilder). She just read some cutesy Revolutionary War time travel books, which lead to lengthy discussions on the era. She mentioned wanting to read a book about the actual facts of history, but something interesting and age-appropriate. I'm at a loss outside of a textbook. Anyone have any good book recs? We'd even entertain biographies, just nothing with a revisionist, myopic focus. A lot of the popular books geared towards kids are scant on details and facts and heavy on imagined conversations that never happened. I would say she reads at a 700L with very good comprehension.

Help!
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

I do not if you can find these books, but they may give some good suggestions?

Kathy Kellee “Turning Back the Pages of Time” or Carolyn Hatcher “Let the Authors Speak”.

Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Golly, what does it say about our library that it has neither of those? Hmmm...I called Mt. Vernon to ask for a few recs and they had 3 recs, but I'm yet to investigate. One was about girl heroes, which is often annoyingly narrow in focus. I'm looking at a few of the levels up in MP American history (grades 4 and 5), but I generally like there to be something about a grade to look forward to, and these great novels and bios are a treasure to her that make the rest worth doing.

SY 19/20
      DD 8-3A
      DS 5-SC C

Comment

I found the first one at Rainbow Resources!
        Christine

(2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Child’s First Book of American History - Earl Schenck Meyers, illustrated James Daugherty - older book, but my kids love it plus the illustrations are amazing. Short snippets of historical events (about 5 or so pages) in chronological order. I bought it at Sodalitas this summer from Eighth Day books. That was an amazing kid in a candy store experience and they were so helpful. It is older so some treatment of native Americans might need a bit of balance.

DK Children’s Encyclopedia of American History...typical DK, but nice pictures and 2 page spreads if looking for more info on a time period or event.

Foster - George Washington’s World, Abraham Lincoln’s World...might be a bit above her reading level and not a start to finish book but maybe a series to save for future.

Dear America series - fictional diaries of girls from different periods in history.

check out the rest of the landmark series. MP has a few of the easier selections in their read aloud packages, but there are hundreds of out of print titles available on eBay.

if you were there when....series. There are a number of shorter paperback titles like if you were there when they signed the constitution.

jean fritz - I can’t remember if the cabin faced west was in the MP set. I love that one and there are the books like Can’t you make them behave King George.

I would recommend looking at beautiful feet books and sonlight core d and e reading lists. Both have lots of overlap with MP, but there might be some new ones that catch your eye.

good luck!
          Dorinda

For 2019-2020
          DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
          DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
          DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
          DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

You might also want to check this out
            https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...rican-history/
            Dorinda

For 2019-2020
            DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
            DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
            DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
            DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
              You might also want to check this out
              https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...rican-history/
              Why have I never seen this book????
              Christine

(2019/2020)
              DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

My kids like the Rush Revere books too. Historical fiction, but really fun!

AMDG,
                Sarah
                2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 7.5
                DD, 5.5
                +DS+
                DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post

Why have I never seen this book????
                  I'm with you. How did we miss that?
                  Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                  DS (MP2) - 7/8
                  DS (K) - 6
                  DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Well, we don't promote Artner much because we need to edit it. Lots of the books are out of print and, interestingly, some that were out of print are now back in print! I used it 20 years ago and could not find the books in my library, but maybe they are there now!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                      My kids like the Rush Revere books too. Historical fiction, but really fun!

AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      Yep. Ducks and covers. At least it reopened an excitement now that she's finished with her fabulous MP books.

I'm so intrigued by that spiral of book recs! Maybe this is the thing to have...

SY 19/20
                      DD 8-3A
                      DS 5-SC C

Comment

Working...
                      X