Review ideas for SFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review ideas for SFL

Cheryl recommended that I post here for additional ideas. My 13yo doesn't have any special academic needs but he's struggling in Latin and Grammar. He seems to need two weeks per lesson and he's not retaining things well (even though his comprehension and memory are excellent in other subjects).

Adjective endings are giving him a ton of trouble in Latin (I don't think he's thinking through them in an orderly way) and he couldn't do the Oral Drill at all for Lesson 5. He HATES having to repeat lessons so I'm trying to figure out how to help him master a lesson in one week. Are there other things we can do to supplement the recitation, flashcards, workbook, etc that he's already doing?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Well, a lesson a week is a good goal, but I think the first priority is to help him understand what is going on. I personally started second form again because I tried to do it too fast/sporadically and didn’t feel I knew it well enough to teach #3 this year. We start next week...ahhh!

1. Did he understand adjectives in first form? One thing that second form starts doing is adding adjectives in cases other than nominative. Like I do on translation sentences, you might try having him analyze the noun being modified before he starts...singular vs plural, case, gender...in order to help him know what ending he is trying for. Lesson 3 has several where they try to make you pay attention to singular or plural, and there are a couple of the masculine exceptions to the feminine rule so the adjective ending don’t match the noun. Remind him of the adjective agreement rule.

2. Lesson 5 oral drill doesn’t deal with adjectives. My guess is he needs more time memorizing the new endings. A couple of my kids really seemed to have trouble grasping and identifying parts of speech in a sentence. I had a bit of trouble myself with the form drills in that lesson with remembering the gender of the noun and choosing the wrong adjective. It is tricky to start mixing 1st/2nd declension endings with 3rd declension nouns.

3. I don’t have the second form review book, but you might consider using some of that as extra material for warmups or review if he needs extra practice with out doing the whole lesson again.

Good luck! I will keep thinking and let you know if anything comes to me.
    Dorinda

For 2020-2021
    DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
    DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
    DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
    DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

In post #13 of the Helpful Hacks thread, Jen gives a detailed description of how she teaches and drills SFL. Just in case you haven't seen it.

https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...-helpful-hacks
      ~ Carrie
      Catholic mom to four - ages 11, 8, 6, and 4
      8th year homeschooling, 3rd year MP!
      2020-2021: 6M with FFL, 4M with FFL, and some of 1st grade

Comment

Thank you both!

I love the idea of using the SFL Review book. It’s already sitting on my shelf but I forgot all about it since it’s not summer, lol.

We use a modified version of Jen’s drill approach. I had to make it more independent as my son wants to work independently and shuts down if I try to work one-on-one for a longer amount of time. It looked like an overwhelm issue at first, but I’m seeing signs that it might have a pride element too. We might need to regroup in that department.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
        DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
        DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
        DS11: SC 4
        DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
        DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
        DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Jen,
          This is just a word of encouragement. This Latin road is not as smooth as it may seem. Give your son tons of credit and support for persevering. And let him know he is not alone! My 14 year old who by all other accounts is an amazing student has needed more time and reinforcement to make solid progress in Latin too. She did FFL, then SFL at a cottage school, then started TFL, then stalled about a third of the way through, then did Henle I for about 2/3 of the book, started to feel the drowning effect, so we backed up again and reviewed SFL over this past summer. Now she has restarted TFL and is making solid progress again.

I don’t know how far she will actually get, but I do know that this has been the right path for her. She cannot stand only knowing something half-way. She has to really, really know it before she says, “Yes, I am ready to move on.” Hence all our re-steps over the material. But in then end, she will probably be the one who knows Latin the best out of all of them.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 8
          DD, 6
          +DS+