Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Email to register for NLE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    OT - Email to register for NLE

    Did anyone else receive email prompting them to register for the NLE, but with a presumably broken link that took them to Facebook? I'm hoping it wasn't a nefarious link.

    But on the good news front, we can start looking forward to the next NLE!

    Last question -- if DD took the Intro exam last year (she's in 7th grade this year) and expects to wrap up 3rd Form approx. in January, would you recommend taking the Intro exam again this year, or just skipping a year and taking Level 1 next year? I saw that MP recommended Intro at this point in her Latin studies. Thanks!
    DD 15 - MP 9

    #2
    How did she do on intro?

    i did get the email, but didn’t click on the link. I got a paper registration form in the mail.
    Dorinda

    Plans for 2021-2022
    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Freshman
    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by hermione310 View Post
      Last question -- if DD took the Intro exam last year (she's in 7th grade this year) and expects to wrap up 3rd Form approx. in January, would you recommend taking the Intro exam again this year, or just skipping a year and taking Level 1 next year? I saw that MP recommended Intro at this point in her Latin studies. Thanks!
      Good afternoon,

      We recommend the Intro exam for a student in Third Form Latin who has never taken the NLE before. Once a student has passed a particular level, he should advance one level each year unless he suddenly hits a wall on a particular exam and struggles to earn any medal.

      If your daughter did well on the Intro Exam last year, there's no reason she can't take Level I this year and potentially earn her first gold medal. (No medals are awarded for the Intro Exam.) She can always repeat Lervel I the following year if she needs to.

      HTH!

      Comment


        #4
        Thank you so much Dorinda and Michael for your replies. DD got a purple ribbon on the Intro exam and was encouraging me to sign her up for Level 1. Before shelling out the $$ (seems pricier this year, although I can't remember what the cost was last year), I wanted to make sure we were registering for the appropriate level. Based in your feedback, I'll sign her up for Level 1. Good thought that she can always repeat Level 1 the following year.

        I'll order the MP Level 1 guide in the next month or so to start studying. It was very helpful last year, particularly for the vocabulary we hadn't encountered.

        Thanks again!
        DD 15 - MP 9

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by hermione310 View Post
          Thank you so much Dorinda and Michael for your replies. DD got a purple ribbon on the Intro exam and was encouraging me to sign her up for Level 1. Before shelling out the $$ (seems pricier this year, although I can't remember what the cost was last year), I wanted to make sure we were registering for the appropriate level. Based in your feedback, I'll sign her up for Level 1. Good thought that she can always repeat Level 1 the following year.
          I just put our application in the mail yesterday - the cost of shipping has, indeed, gone WAY up. I cannot fathom why it suddenly costs THIRTY DOLLARS to ship these to homes but "only" fifteen to send to a business or school. For 2 exams and standard shipping to our home, I just paid $42. The cost would have been $47 if I'd paid by credit card.

          The back of the registration form oddly stated that homeschooling parents should try to use a business or school address to cut the cost of shipping their forms to the $15 price. One has to wonder if this is a way to defray the costs of medals/certificates and/or to curb homeschool participation...? I'm certainly no conspiracy theorist, but that amount was a shock to the system.
          Mary

          DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
          DD8 - SC level 2

          Comment


            #6
            When I emailed they replied that ups charged them extra to ship to home addresses rather than business addresses. I would guess some of the fee is to offset shipping of medals and book awards, but it would have been nice to have the increase phased in rather than one huge jump.
            Dorinda

            Plans for 2021-2022
            15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
            DD College Freshman
            DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
            DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
            DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
              When I emailed they replied that ups charged them extra to ship to home addresses rather than business addresses. I would guess some of the fee is to offset shipping of medals and book awards, but it would have been nice to have the increase phased in rather than one huge jump.
              YES! Absolutely - some warning would have been nice. It seems so odd to me that UPS charges that much, as we ship via UPS for my dh's side business and have never encountered fees that astronomical for mere Tyvek envelopes - regardless of whether they go to homes or businesses. I wondered the same thing you did - if this might be a way to offset the cost of materials and manpower. In such case, again, I return to the initial question of why they didn't just say something beforehand. I think we can all understand increases in the cost of doing business; however, it is difficult to have a massive increase forced upon us with no warning or explanation.

              Meh, venting session over. I just put my check in the mail today. Now on to more important issues...like Beowulf.

              Mary

              DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
              DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
              DD8 - SC level 2

              Comment

              Working...
              X