Third Form Latin, Lesson 16 Drill F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Form Latin, Lesson 16 Drill F

DD and I are working through Third Form Latin, Lesson 16. In Section IV, Drill F, #4, the answer key states that "hoc" is the correct answer.

Sentence to translate:
    "The Roman nobles gave money for a third navy, and this money saved the state."

DD and I both translated "this" as haec (F), as pecunia is feminine. Oh Latin experts, please enlighten me. Why is it "hoc" and not "haec"? We are both scratching our heads over here.

Thank you!!!
    DD 12 - MP6A

Originally posted by hermione310 View Post
    DD and I are working through Third Form Latin, Lesson 16. In Section IV, Drill F, #4, the answer key states that "hoc" is the correct answer.

Sentence to translate:
    "The Roman nobles gave money for a third navy, and this money saved the state."

DD and I both translated "this" as haec (F), as pecunia is feminine. Oh Latin experts, please enlighten me. Why is it "hoc" and not "haec"? We are both scratching our heads over here.

Thank you!!!
    Good afternoon,

You are correct that the answer should be haec because the Latin word for money which students have learned (pecunia) is feminine. Latin has other, neuter nouns for money and we were probably thinking of these words by mistake. Apologies for the confusion!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for the quick response! Even within the class day - fantastic.

Good to know that we're on the right path to understanding the demonstrative pronouns (well, my daughter is -- I'm barely keeping afloat in Third Form ). I so appreciate this forum and how helpful MP is.
      DD 12 - MP6A

Comment

Working...
      X