OT: Rabelais? Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Rabelais? Help.

I'm in a reading plan that has Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel scheduled. It's not the most edifying read on the heels of Augustine's Confessions. Ha! Has anyone read this that can give me some pointers on why it might be good to stick with this and read through? Or maybe you think I should just skip over it and move on? I'm not familiar with Rabelais and don't know why his works were included. Ideas for me?
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    I'm in a reading plan that has Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel scheduled. It's not the most edifying read on the heels of Augustine's Confessions. Ha! Has anyone read this that can give me some pointers on why it might be good to stick with this and read through? Or maybe you think I should just skip over it and move on? I'm not familiar with Rabelais and don't know why his works were included. Ideas for me?
    Good afternoon Jessica,

I just spoke with Martin and Paul. Neither of them have read Rabelais so, it has been decided, Rabelais is not worth reading and you are free to move on

In all seriousness, they both agreed that he is no longer considered particularly important to study, though he is acknowledged to have been influential at one point.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Good afternoon Jessica,

I just spoke with Martin and Paul. Neither of them have read Rabelais so, it has been decided, Rabelais is not worth reading and you are free to move on

In all seriousness, they both agreed that he is no longer considered particularly important to study, though he is acknowledged to have been influential at one point.

HTH!
      ...paints face blue, dons kilt, and shouts, "FREEDOM!!!!!"

Thanks for checking on this for me. This is good news!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
      @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
      D · 8th
      D · 5th
      S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
      X