Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christian Studies Enrichment Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Christian Studies Enrichment Question

    I am using SCE for the first time this year with my K and 2nd graders. I didn't buy another bible because we already have an amazing children's bible that I don't want to replace. Unfortunately I made an assumption that was not correct (as far as I can see). I assumed that in the curriculum manuals or the CSE book it would actually list out the bible verses that go with the topic. I can't find that. Is there a master list of verses for each week available somewhere?
    Thanks!

    #2
    Before I bought The Storybook Bible, I found a really good preview of the book on amazon (not on the app, but on a PC web page where I could "Look Inside"). In the index, they list where each story comes out of (book and chapter, but not the verse). However, it was days' worth of work for way too much reading for a child. The beauty of having The Storybook Bible is that the translation is excerpted, not changed, and it is very easy for the the K-2nd student to read and understand. I lamented not just buying the SB outright; we bought it about 9 weeks in. This rookie mistake caused me to just buy the GCB for CSI at a discounted rate with the core. We still break out The Storybook Bible for its beautiful, life-like illustrations.

    There are no lists here on the forum that I know of.
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

    SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Elah View Post
      Is there a master list of verses for each week available somewhere?
      For Kindergarten, did you see the list of Copybook Selections on pages 94-95 of the Curriculum Manual? The titles in the CM correspond to the titles in the Kindergarten CSE book. Yes, I know they are Copybook Selections and not a "master list" per se but may be of help?
      2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
      S - 5, K @ home and HLN
      D - 3, rising through minor leagues quickly
      S - 2, the master of disasters

      Comment


        #4
        Hello.

        The Bible stories are listed by title rather than Scripture verses for The Story Bible. It should be fairly easy to match the stories. We have used several different children's Bibles at our church, and it was easy to locate the correct story based on the title. The main problem we have had is that the stories are different sometimes. Some include the story of Esther and others don't. So we had to either go to another Bible to get the stories we needed or just skip them. In the end, it really doesn't matter. The goal is to take primary students through the Bible on their level. We aren't going to hit every story anyway. And they will revisit all these stories in grammar school when they go through the GCB and an actual study of the stories. If you have a children's Bible you are attached to, I would go ahead and use it and make the adjustments you need.

        Tanya
        ​​

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by enbateau View Post
          Before I bought The Storybook Bible, I found a really good preview of the book on amazon (not on the app, but on a PC web page where I could "Look Inside"). In the index, they list where each story comes out of (book and chapter, but not the verse). However, it was days' worth of work for way too much reading for a child. The beauty of having The Storybook Bible is that the translation is excerpted, not changed, and it is very easy for the the K-2nd student to read and understand. I lamented not just buying the SB outright; we bought it about 9 weeks in. This rookie mistake caused me to just buy the GCB for CSI at a discounted rate with the core. We still break out The Storybook Bible for its beautiful, life-like illustrations.

          There are no lists here on the forum that I know of.
          Thank you! I had not thought of that. I just pulled it up and it is extremely helpful. It is going to save me a lot of time.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Beorn View Post

            For Kindergarten, did you see the list of Copybook Selections on pages 94-95 of the Curriculum Manual? The titles in the CM correspond to the titles in the Kindergarten CSE book. Yes, I know they are Copybook Selections and not a "master list" per se but may be of help?
            I did see that. Some of them are there but not all of them are listed. For the other grades it doesn't line up at all.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by tanya View Post
              Hello.

              The Bible stories are listed by title rather than Scripture verses for The Story Bible. It should be fairly easy to match the stories. We have used several different children's Bibles at our church, and it was easy to locate the correct story based on the title. The main problem we have had is that the stories are different sometimes. Some include the story of Esther and others don't. So we had to either go to another Bible to get the stories we needed or just skip them. In the end, it really doesn't matter. The goal is to take primary students through the Bible on their level. We aren't going to hit every story anyway. And they will revisit all these stories in grammar school when they go through the GCB and an actual study of the stories. If you have a children's Bible you are attached to, I would go ahead and use it and make the adjustments you need.

              Tanya
              ​​
              Thanks Tanya!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Elah View Post
                For the other grades it doesn't line up at all.
                When possible, we try to align the copybook verse with the week's story. Of course, some sections of the Bible have many more age-appropriate verses to memorize (e.g., the Gospels) than others (e.g., Song of Solomon). Thus, many of the SBB assignments under Copywork are providing context for the memory verse and are unrelated to the week's Christian Studies assignment.

                HTH!
                Michael
                Memoria Press

                Comment

                Working...
                X