Need help with FMMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with FMMA

I'm doing FMMA with my 6th and 7th graders, and they did their first lesson today.

My confusion started when I saw that it started with Chapter 1 instead of the Introduction. That is correct, right? But why is that?

Next, I'd love to know how this program works in your home. I see it's scheduled only once per week, but I imagine a child would need to really study the facts to know and vocabulary to really make the information sink. So...
    Do you review the flashcards with them daily? Do they review them independently? How often? Do you sit down and read the chapter together, or is that independent? Do you help with the vocabulary or comprehension questions, or is that independent? What I'm really asking is-How many days do you devote to FMMA per week and what do you do each day?

Finally, the maps are confusing me. I see that they are going to have to know a large amount of locations on the Chapters 1-6 test. At the end of chapter 1, one of the enrichment activities says to "find the locations on your map". But, what map? I see reference maps at the back but practice maps, but what exactly are they supposed to be doing for the mapwork?

None of us have ever studied this time period, and our geography skills in the PRESENT day are poor-so the maps are looking pretty confusing at this point.

Thank you. I've got 4 cores going with 5 kids, plus a 2 year old that figured out today how to get out of her crib AND how to get out of the childproof door. Ugh. It's been tough. I'd love to feel better about this subject. I need your tips and tricks! :-)

First, prayers for dealing with the 2 yo!

Generally, we haven’t dropped any of the famous men books, but it never was a subject that took priority. We take tests in Latin and math and have tried tests for these books. Success has been scattered...I was usually happy if they could answer the facts to know questions (sort of like the flash card content). Hopefully someone will answer how to deal with the maps because I have never had a good plan for how to teach kids to study from a completed map without a blank one to practice on. This applies to the history books as well as Christian Studies.

I think the intro to FMMA was skipped to be able to fit it in a school year. I used to read the sections aloud until I found them recorded on Libravox. Now they listen and follow along in the book. We pick one question to answer in writing (usually one on the test) and go over the drill questions to date. If we get that done I consider it a success.

https://librivox.org/famous-men-of-t...nd-a-b-poland/
    Dorinda

For 2020-2021
    DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
    DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
    DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
    DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

I would write in "study flashcards" on my kids' planners. If you put it on one of those post-it note strips, you can then move it to the next week without having to rewrite it all the time. When I taught FMR at our co-op, my son studied his flashcards independently and we would then do a cumulative recitation each week at co-op. Sometimes I would do a "Power Drill" where the kids would draw a flashcard and give me the answer. If they got it right, they got 10 points; if they didn't, they got 0 points. HLS does these with Latin.

Instead of recitation, his Middle Ages teacher would do games based on the flashcards: she would give the term and the kids would race to touch the table. The person who touched first got to answer and received points if they were right. She kept a tally going all year. Other days, she would give each of them some terms at the beginning of class that they then had to write the definitions for on the board. She was amazing.

For the lesson itself, you're following MP's prep/read/contemplate/write approach:

Prep
      Read over the Facts to Know, explaining that these are the people and places they're going to encounter in the week's reading
      Discuss the Vocabulary, using the context clues that are given. If they don't know the answer, let them know what it is. It's helpful to repeat the sentence with the definition in it in place of the word so they can see how it fits the context.

Read
      If you can, it's great to take turns with the reading; if one student isn't as strong in reading it might be best to read it yourself or play an audiobook version to avoid comparison/frustration.

Contemplate/Write
      Go over the comprehension questions (either all of them, or just the ones you had them circle/highlight because they're on the test or you want them to know that particular item).

Map
      Two options: make copies of the map so they can use it as practice during the week OR use this method with the maps staying in the book: https://seekingdelectare.com/my-favo...meschool-hack/

Keep in mind that at their ages (depending on how well they work independently), the boys can do all of the above on their own. You would just explain the prep/read/etc process to them at the outset so they understand what they're trying to do, and then meet with them once a week to review/discuss their answers and see how the map is going for them.

HTH!

Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
      DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
      DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
      DS11: SC 4
      DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
      DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
      DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Hello.

We did leave out the Norse gods chapters at the beginning of the FMMA book because 1) This book is too big to get through in a year 2) Our concentration is on Greek gods, so we didn't feel it was necessary to study the Norse gods. Our students do have the D'Aulaires' Norse Gods book as a read-aloud in 3rd grade, but we don't study them further.

That said, students do enjoy these chapters, so they do make a good read-aloud option or student alone time reading. But you don't need to complete the study guide for these chapters because they are never referred to or tested again.

Tanya

Comment

Yeah, we usually print out the map quizzes and laminate them for any subject with maps.

I bought a 100-ct box of 8.5x11 Scotch thermal laminating pouches for ~$10. You can warm them with a clothes iron in an old pillowcase. For 10 cents, it helped solve the problem of map time. My eldest keeps the laminated map in the front pocket of her 3-ring binder.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	15677039825817500727289708481549.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	116085
          Mama to 2

Summer:
          MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
          SY 20/21
          4A

Comment

Working...