Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Non Drying out PlayDoh?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    OT: Non Drying out PlayDoh?

    Captain LOVES PlayDoh. Unfortunately, it dries out so quickly that I am finding myself spending a fortune on the stuff. Anyone have an alternate that has the same features but is not oil-based clay or beeswax bars?
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

    Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

    Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

    #2
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Abel (9) MP 4/ Lydia 7.5) MP A3/ James (6) First Start Reading and Rod and Staff 1/ Micah (4)/ Nathanael (2)/ Silas Born 7/13/2019

    Comment


      #3
      I thought I remember kinetic sand not drying out. Also, if you're looking for ability to create art, letters, numbers, etc, we've enjoyed Wikki Stix.

      Mama to 2

      Summer:
      MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
      SY 20/21
      4A

      Comment


        #4
        I literally just registered (after lurking a long time) solely so I could share this recipe! LOL.
        My mom was a preschool teacher for 30 years and always used this recipe, and I only ever use this. It makes enough for 2-3 kids to play with at a time. If you put it into a Tupperware or just a ziploc bag, it will stay fresh and very soft for about 2-4 months. I keep mine at least 3 months, but the quality does degrade eventually. And it’s totally nontoxic! Very salty but edible.

        2 and 1/4 Cups flour
        1 Cup salt
        4 teaspoons cream of tartar
        2 Cups of water with several drops desired food coloring added to it
        2 Tablespoons oil

        Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan over no heat at all yet. Whisk in water, then whisk in oil. After all ingredients are combined, cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or spatula, moving after a minute or so toward lower heat, for a total of 3 minutes or until it pulls away from the sides of the pot. It’s hard work stirring but only for a few minutes! Then turn immediately onto the counter and knead it while still hot. It kind of burns your hands a little bit but keep a light touch or use your spoon and it cools quickly. Then it’s good to go as soon as your kids feel like it’s not too hot to play with. Store in an airtight bag or container.

        Comment


          #5
          My mom used to make that for us!
          ????????????????
          AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 8
          DD, 6
          +DS+
          DS, 2

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Emily L View Post
            I literally just registered (after lurking a long time) solely so I could share this recipe! LOL.
            My mom was a preschool teacher for 30 years and always used this recipe, and I only ever use this. It makes enough for 2-3 kids to play with at a time. If you put it into a Tupperware or just a ziploc bag, it will stay fresh and very soft for about 2-4 months. I keep mine at least 3 months, but the quality does degrade eventually. And it’s totally nontoxic! Very salty but edible.

            2 and 1/4 Cups flour
            1 Cup salt
            4 teaspoons cream of tartar
            2 Cups of water with several drops desired food coloring added to it
            2 Tablespoons oil

            Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan over no heat at all yet. Whisk in water, then whisk in oil. After all ingredients are combined, cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or spatula, moving after a minute or so toward lower heat, for a total of 3 minutes or until it pulls away from the sides of the pot. It’s hard work stirring but only for a few minutes! Then turn immediately onto the counter and knead it while still hot. It kind of burns your hands a little bit but keep a light touch or use your spoon and it cools quickly. Then it’s good to go as soon as your kids feel like it’s not too hot to play with. Store in an airtight bag or container.
            This is the recipe we use, but I also have a giant shortcut.

            If you have a stand mixer,, place all the dry ingredients in the bowl. Boil the water, oil and food coloring, then pour it into the bowl. Turn the mixer on and let it do all the work
            Plans for 2020-21

            Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

            DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
            DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
            DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
            DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
            DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
            DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

            Comment


              #7
              Has anyone ever tried this with GF flour or know of a recipe that uses it? Celiac in our house and we sure miss Playdough!!
              Katie

              2020/21 7th year with MP
              DS 16: 11th, MPOA, HSC, Dual Enrolled
              DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program
              DD 9: mix of MP 5, Seton, HSC, MPOA Latin,
              Twin DD's 7: mix of MP 2, Seton

              Comment


                #8
                Katie, I googled and found this site. Maybe one of these recipes would work?
                https://onecreativemommy.com/gluten-...view-and-tips/

                I totally forgot about the cooked kind! My mom used to make that for us, too! Sadly, I don;t have a stand mixer so the old-fashioned stand and stir it is for me tomorrow. Does regular iodized table salt work or do I need some thing else? Anyone done less salt? I know some people add a few drops of flavoring or even spices like cinnamon!
                The Homeschool Grads:
                J- 6/96
                S- 11/98

                Still Homeschooling:
                G- 4/04
                D- 5/05
                F- 7/08 (my only girl)

                Future Homeschooler:
                M- 9/16

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Katie View Post
                  Has anyone ever tried this with GF flour or know of a recipe that uses it? Celiac in our house and we sure miss Playdough!!
                  We used sweet rice flour, which is cheap from Asian markets. It was a long time ago, though. I remember it came out fine. ETA we usually just bought the cheap regular clay from the dollar tree. It's half-ways soft when it is fresh.
                  Bean. Long time MP user. I'm usually posting before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

                  DD- 10th- AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Regular salt, iodized salt work fine. I don’t think I’d lessen the salt because salt is like 39 cents and it helps preserve it so you aren’t growing mold on your already green or blue playdoh. I personally wouldn’t want it to smell like food because I don’t want them to eat it! Usually they only try it once and never make that mistake again.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'm going to try this later today. I will let y'all know how it comes out.
                      The Homeschool Grads:
                      J- 6/96
                      S- 11/98

                      Still Homeschooling:
                      G- 4/04
                      D- 5/05
                      F- 7/08 (my only girl)

                      Future Homeschooler:
                      M- 9/16

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I think I'll try it too. Thanks for the link! Ya never know how stuff will turn out when substituting with GF flours. The Namaste Perfect Flour blend that we get from Costco generally makes for super sticky dough in baking recipes...but that also has other flours too. I'll try it with just the rice flour.
                        Katie

                        2020/21 7th year with MP
                        DS 16: 11th, MPOA, HSC, Dual Enrolled
                        DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program
                        DD 9: mix of MP 5, Seton, HSC, MPOA Latin,
                        Twin DD's 7: mix of MP 2, Seton

                        Comment


                          #13
                          We love Mad Mattr over here. The bag we've had has lasted almost 3 years thus far. I have my younger two play with this on a rimmed cookie sheet or in a 9x13 glass Pyrex just to keep it contained. Usually other kitchen tools are also involved.
                          It's a great, affordable present if anyone asks what your kids want for bdays or holidays.

                          Wheat, gluten, & casein free!

                          MAD MATTR Super-Soft Modelling Dough Compound That Never Dries Out (Yellow, 10oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQ1V8NL..._beaCDb7K5JZAB
                          Festina lentē,
                          Jessica P

                          2020-2021
                          11th year HSing · 9th year MP
                          @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
                          11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

                          Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I wish all these options had been around when we had to be gf free years ago!

                            Adding Namaste flour is nasty! We tried it. Everything I tried to make with it was a gloopy, smelly mess. The best mix I found was from Cooking For Isaiah by Silvana Nardone
                            The Homeschool Grads:
                            J- 6/96
                            S- 11/98

                            Still Homeschooling:
                            G- 4/04
                            D- 5/05
                            F- 7/08 (my only girl)

                            Future Homeschooler:
                            M- 9/16

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                              We love Mad Mattr over here. The bag we've had has lasted almost 3 years thus far. I have my younger two play with this on a rimmed cookie sheet or in a 9x13 glass Pyrex just to keep it contained. Usually other kitchen tools are also involved.
                              It's a great, affordable present if anyone asks what your kids want for bdays or holidays.

                              Wheat, gluten, & casein free!

                              MAD MATTR Super-Soft Modelling Dough Compound That Never Dries Out (Yellow, 10oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQ1V8NL..._beaCDb7K5JZAB
                              Dumb question ----- can you roll it out like playdough, and use cookie cutters? Does it smell weird?
                              Plans for 2020-21

                              Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

                              DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
                              DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
                              DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
                              DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
                              DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
                              DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X