How Would You Place a Child Like This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Would You Place a Child Like This

My daughter won't be 8 until Decemeber. She is currently doing Rod and Staff Spelling, Math, and Grammar 3 (which she easily does). She has read all the books except Paddington on the Grade 3 reading list. She has read through Heidi two times, she read the whole Chronicles of Narnia Series in two months last spring and retold them in great detail to my husband. Eventually I would like to move her to a Core, but I am not sure which one. I went back and forth with doing a core this year and chose not to, which I am now regretting. She also has read both of Nathaniel Hawthornes Greek Myth books and D'Aulaires and know most mythological characters in and out.
    Abel (9) MP 4/ Lydia 7.5) MP A3/ James (6) First Start Reading and Rod and Staff 1/ Micah (4)/ Nathanael (2)/ Silas Born 7/13/2019

I would say fourth for new users (4NU is the acronym) if you're thinking ahead to next year.

If youre thinking this year, I would look at accelerated third grade (3A acronym). If she hasn't had Latin, that will challenge her. Completing the lit guides with the books will challenge her even if she's already read them. Or you could sub in 4th grade literature.

I think completing the guides, memorizing the facts to know, answering in complete sentences would be a good fit for her.
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
      I would say fourth for new users (4NU is the acronym) if you're thinking ahead to next year.

If youre thinking this year, I would look at accelerated third grade (3A acronym). If she hasn't had Latin, that will challenge her. Completing the lit guides with the books will challenge her even if she's already read them. Or you could sub in 4th grade literature.

I think completing the guides, memorizing the facts to know, answering in complete sentences would be a good fit for her.
      Thank you! We did cores a few years ago and then I did my own thing; but I am thinking of moving back to cores next year. I also have a son who just turned 9; who is your average student. I am doing R&S 4 with him this year for MAth, English, and Spelling. We are also doing Latina Christiana; he did Prima Latin two years ago and last year we just read through Minimus. I am thinking of possibly putting him In Accelerated 4th next year, but just changing Math to grade 5. Do you think this would work? To have my daughter in 4th for New Users and him in Accelerated 4th? That would give them a few subjects together and a few apart? I think it would crush my son to feel he was doing everything his sister is doing since she is 17 months younger. On the otherhand my son who just turned 6 is doing R&S math 1 and First Start Reading and Memoria Press Kindergarten recitation and we are reading book and he is narrating and thriving! So I think continuing with him but possible doing a year ahead in math will be a perfect fit!
      Abel (9) MP 4/ Lydia 7.5) MP A3/ James (6) First Start Reading and Rod and Staff 1/ Micah (4)/ Nathanael (2)/ Silas Born 7/13/2019

Comment

Your description of your daughter makes her sound very well-placed already, and on target to be able to handle 3A next year. That is where I would put her. It is not at all uncommon for children to have read the literature selections ahead of the time they are scheduled in a core. This actually helps them a great deal and will be a pro, not a con. As Colomama said, Latin itself provides a great area of challenge, as well as the overall workload of a Grammar school student. Doing the third grade core at the accelerated pace is perfect for a confident older 8 year old.

Remember, it’s not just about what they can read. It’s also what they can write about in complete sentences across the entire curriculum. Keep their weakest “R” in mind and place them for that one, not their strongest. You’ve already adjusted math for her, and spelling and English are not reasons to bump up everything else. Also, as a heads up, Rod and Staff Grammar has a bit of a jump in the amount of difficult content by 5 and 6th grades. You may find her maturity is not ready for that when you get there and end up wanting to slow that pace down.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

My accelerated reader is doing great in 3A now that she is 8, turning 9 around the same time. I am so glad I didn't force it and move her ahead a year. At 6, she could do the same thing: read a high lexile book and verbally discuss and remember the characters, themes, etc. She could not have written at the level that is required in 3A last year. It is insane how much writing there is. I wish parents could get a view of the quizzes and tests to see how challenging the curriculum really is. We're 5 weeks in and her 35-question literature quiz ended with five short answer questions that had to be written in complete sentences. Even doing the multi-page study guide took hours to complete and review. Seven is not the age to do that. I don't remember having short answer questions on quizzes until 6th or 7th grade! Memoria Press could be the most underappreciated curriculum for its assiduous preparation that I know. Without running wildly over too broad a scope, they somehow manage to perfectly prepare the reluctant as well as the precious student.

Welcome to MP!
          Mama of 2, teacher of 3
          SY 22/23
          6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
          MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
          SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

Don’t base a core placement in reading level or what books they have read. It’s perfectly ok to study books you have simply read before.
            Trying to decipher from what you wrote it sounds like you are currently (for the school year starting right now) using R&S 3 for spelling, math, and grammar. You aren’t planning to use an MP core this year but hope to next year? She is a young 3rd as a typical 3rd grader is 8 turning 9 during the school year or the summer after. She is 7 turning 8 which would typically be 2nd. Based on her doing 3rd grade math and grammar and being a strong reader let’s call her 3rd grade this year but know if you keep the pace she will graduate at 17 so you do have wiggle room to slow down (not level of work but what grade you call her).
            If I were placing her for this current school year I would say 3A. She is VERY young for 3A, but based on already having read (not studied) the 3rd grade books and already knowing the Myths it seems silly to take it too slow. Assuming she hasn’t had Latin I would say that would be the hardest class for a 7 turning 8. 3A does Latina Christina in one year (as opposed to two years at the regular 3rd-4th grade pace). Already knowing the Myths and the stories in literature will allow her to focus energy on Latin and writing (use those lit guides to learn good writing skills!).
            If you keep on with your current books and want to jump in next year it will be fine. I’d say 4th New User (which is a mix of 3rd and 4th at a faster pace). Again Myths would be review but then she could start Latin with Latina Christiana which is much easier than trying to do First Form as an 8 turning 9 with no Latin background! This will ensure she starts at the beginning with all the subject books and doesn’t miss anything. It will also keep her from reaching Third Form or Homer too young. These are very challenging books and even very bright children struggle if their brains are not mature enough for level of abstract thinking (no matter how smart they are). The accelerated path does Third Form in 6th and Homer in 7th. The regular track (which 4NU would put you in) does Third Form in 7th and Homer in 8th.
            FYI- MP has INCREDIBLE customer service. If you call them they will happily explain all the various 3-4th grade choices and which is the best fit for you. It’s easier to do that in a conversation rather than a forum because you can communicate immediately and ask questions and there is less confusion about what you need.
            Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
            DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
            DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
            DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
            (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
            DS, 21, Physics and math major
            DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
            DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
            DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Working...
            X