Second Grade Math Pace - Rod & Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Grade Math Pace - Rod & Staff

This is our first year with Rod & Staff. I am following the 2nd grade core manual for our pacing and at the moment it has three lessons planned a day. I realize they are not having you do every problem but I'm finding we are getting behind and making it through that many problems is a lot for my 7 year old. I know it levels out once we get through this review but I don't like feeling so behind only 3 weeks in! Any tips?

Hello.

That first unit is review of first grade math, so you don't have to complete all thee problems. Just work on the concepts that need review and move on. Or, if your student needs this work for mastery, don't worry about getting behind. Slow it down to a good pace for your student. You will be able to pick up the pace at some point, but you are building a foundation now, so it needs to be strong. And there is no rush. You have flexibility because you are homeschooling. You can tailor the curriculum to fit your student! Take advantage of that freedom. If you finish second grade in the summer, that is okay. But it will be a strong finish because you have taken the time to build mastery.

Tanya

Comment

Hey there. I've only been doing this one year, but I did start where you are.

We started this past year with R&S 2 also. The reason they are stacking lessons in these early weeks is because the book assumes the kiddos haven't yet mastered many (if any) addition facts, but MP created the curriculum manual plans to follow the pattern from K and 1st. If the kiddo had completed R&S1 between K&1st, they would have probably mastered these early facts and so the lesson plans from MP are having you quickly run through these early R&S lessons as a review.

However, if you feel your kiddo does not have these mastered, then yes, seriously, slow down. Do one lesson at a time and ensure that they have these math facts down perfectly. Also, (and this was a failure on my part and boy was it huge), don't neglect that R&S Teacher's manual. What starts kind of simplistic grows significantly. Those drills and questions and practices are really important. You don't have to do every one of them, but don't let a day go by without at least reading through that section for yourself. You'll see what I mean over time. The worksheets are fantastic, but you are missing about 30% more "connection" to the material if you don't look at that TM.

My kids came from a spiral approach math. Translation - memorize nothing...it'll come with time. It didn't. I watched my oldest add 8+7 by hopping around a number line 100 times, but could never tell me the answer for himself. This meant that I had to start at Lesson 1 in R&S2, and do one lesson a day. I did cut down on some of the blacklines days to make up for it. Also, I extended my school year so that we finished every lesson. They loved it too - even without the "pretty pages" because I think even they could tell that they really learned something.

Good luck Mama!
      Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
      DS (MP2) - 7/8
      DS (K) - 6
      DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Agreeing with what has been said. When we came to R&S 2, we quickly realized my eldest had not memorized any of the fact families under 10 with rapid recall. It forced me to get R&S Arithmetic 1 and let my eldest move at her own pace. She hated it at first, but soon she would notice when she felt confident enough to mix a new fact family in with a prior fact family. You won't have to do that, though. If you let your 7yo self pace those first 40 lessons, it will work out fine. It might add an extra 4 weeks of just math, but the level of mastery is worth it.
        Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
        DD 8-3A
        DS 5-SC C

Comment

Agreeing with everyone up here...
          We are doing second grade math for the fourth go round in my house this year and the biggest thing I'm doing differently is daily flash card warmup! It makes such a difference over the long term. I bought the R&S 2nd grade set from Milestonebooks.com and they are worth the price! Highly recommend.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
          @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
          D · 8th
          D · 5th
          S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Anna, with my second grader we have had to slow down these first 3 weeks. She completed R&S1 in K and 1st but she does not have the mastery yet of her math facts and the pace suggested has been too fast for her. I was actually pretty surprised when we started the review this year and she was having difficulty recalling the facts she'd learned previously. For the future I'll be sure to keep up some type of math review during summer breaks. This past week we did just one lesson a day and it made a difference. Math is a big anxiety for her and I'm needing to learn to go at her pace.
            Last edited by Anne E; 09-07-2019, 05:39 PM.
            Anne

2019/2020
            DD 7 - MP core 2nd grade
            DD 5 - MP core K
            DS 3 -adorable and into everything

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
              Agreeing with everyone up here...
              We are doing second grade math for the fourth go round in my house this year and the biggest thing I'm doing differently is daily flash card warmup! It makes such a difference over the long term. I bought the R&S 2nd grade set from Milestonebooks.com and they are worth the price! Highly recommend.
              Can you link, please?
              Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
              DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
              DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
              DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
              DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
              DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

I'm guessing she uses these, a slightly updated version of the old ones which were brown ink on manilla cardstock.

https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-13040-1/

We bought the Abeka flashcards. They are also wonderful because I can flash them with the answer showing to drill home the tie of the blossom. She'll say the triplet with the answer showing, then she'll say the answer with it blank. I much prefer these to cards with the answer on the back in the upper corner.
                Last edited by enbateau; 09-08-2019, 08:09 AM.

SY 19/20
                DD 8-3A
                DS 5-SC C

Comment

And these

https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-13041-1/

But again, I just looked at my Abeka ones, and there are at least 189 in subtraction and the same in addition, while R&S only has 102. I got my Abeka ones off ebay. The different color on the back side helps me get them facing the right direction in a jiffy.

SY 19/20
                  DD 8-3A
                  DS 5-SC C

Comment

I took a look last night and also found these on MP's sight. These R&S flashcards may be the same as the one's Jessica had been referring to. Jessica, do you mind confirming?
                    https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...th-flashcards/

And here are some from MP that also give the answers. With addition and subtraction 11-18 taught as triplets.
                    https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...ction-0-to-18/

I think reviewing flashcards with the answers will be game changer for my second grader!! Now, to decide which ones to get.
                    Anne

2019/2020
                    DD 7 - MP core 2nd grade
                    DD 5 - MP core K
                    DS 3 -adorable and into everything

Comment

[QUOTE=Anne E;n116174]
                      And here are some from MP that also give the answers. With addition and subtraction 11-18 taught as triplets.
                      https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...ction-0-to-18/

What?!? Did the heavens just open and these beauties come down?

For those, like me, that despise the Flashkids cards offered...check these out. Wooop wooop!

They seem about the same size as the phonics flashcards used in FSR, not long and skinny like the R&S ones.

Placing in shopping cart immediately....

MP....are there multiplication cards lurking? (Wink wink)

AnneE...go for the MP version. The rod and staff ones include lots of cards used in kindergarten (numbers before, between, after, number for patters, etc). If you're looking for review, the MP looks like the better ones for you.

Last edited by Colomama; 09-08-2019, 09:40 AM.
                      Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                      DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                      DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

YES! When did these arrive?! I have the second grade R&S ones linked above from Milestone. They are much more pricey than the MP ones which look like they'll do the job nicely at a much lower price. Now... Who can get these in their stocking for Christmas...? Maybe me? And YES PLEASE to a similar multiplication/division set!
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                        @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                        S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                        D · 8th
                        D · 5th
                        S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I am liking the colorful ones that were part of this year's Math 3. I have some older ones from Abeka and they were very large in the hand and I know the reason I didn't do flash cards as often was because I seemed to get multiple paper cuts. These new ones don't do that to me, and they use both sides of the cards so there's less bulk to keep up with too.
                          Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                          DS (MP2) - 7/8
                          DS (K) - 6
                          DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Hello.

Once again, you are benefiting from our needy primary teachers who wanted customized flashcards! I'm just teasing. We were happy to do it for them, but I do sometimes wonder if we will ever finish with primary!

So now we can do something for you if you really want multiplication and division. Let me talk to our grammar school teachers when we have a collaboration meeting, and I'll get the vision for this.
                            ​​​​​​
                            Tanya

Comment

Yes please. I would prefer separate multiplication and division cards, not where they're combined front and back.

Some cards have multiplication on front and the division on the back, kind of like the triplet facts for +/-. I would prefer two different sets because the kids don't learn multiplication and division at the same time. Example, the front says 4*3 and the back says 12 divided by 4. My kids were lost, couldn't figure out where the answer was.
                              Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                              DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                              DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                              Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                              Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X