NLE Cost increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NLE Cost increase

Did anyone else receive the email today about the cost increase for the NLE? The biggest thing I noticed is that they are charging $30 shipping to any home or foreign address. What is that all about??? That is triple what shipping was last year. What possible reason to charge homeschoolers the same shipping as to a foreign country? They say homeschool students are advised to have it shipped to a business address, but not everyone has one of those handy. I guess making it inclusive is getting expensive.
    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

I got it...but skimmed it. Did not see that shipping increase. The increase on the cost of the tests was modest. But geesh, that is ridiculous! After the question of what exactly they were changing last year...This is getting frustrating.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 8
    DD, 6
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Disappointing to say the least, especially after this past school year's announcement. It must cost more to make a test politically/culturally "correct". *tongue firmly in cheek*
      Last edited by Beorn; 08-27-2019, 09:34 AM.
      2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
      S - 6, K @ home and HLN
      D - 4, rising through minor leagues quickly
      S - 2, the master of disasters

Comment

Yikes, that shipping is crazy. I don't see why that would be necessary. I was actually just thinking about the test this morning. When do you typically order them? I want my daughter to have the experience with taking it this year since she is in SFL, and the Greek Myths exam was such a good experience last year!
        ~Michelle

DD 10 (MP 5)
        DS 8 (MP 4)
        DS 2 - board books and causing chaos
        DD Born 6/27/18

Comment

I only caught the increased exam fee which was miniscule and no bother but I totally missed the shipping update! I will say that they ship you a lot of things, sometimes three batches of things via UPS (exams with instructions, results, and a potential shipment of rewards). This year my oldest will be in the running for the big dictionary if he can earn a gold medal, also $$ and heavy to ship. Since I'm ordering for 2 kids my total cost, as far as I can tell, will be $54. I order two tests per child so we have a back up test if needed on test day.

I need to reach out to them by phone because one thing that's valuable to me is that individualized feedback sheet that tells me how each of my kids did, which ones they missed in comparison with other kids, etc. If we organize and take that as a cottage school (as in, we order and distribute the exams and instructions) will we get only one feedback page with everyone's results combined? That's not helpful for individual student improvement, only helpful for teachers generally. How does this work at HLS, or better, Spring Meadows?

Thanks for that catch, Dorinda!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
          @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
            I only caught the increased exam fee which was miniscule and no bother but I totally missed the shipping update! I will say that they ship you a lot of things, sometimes three batches of things via UPS (exams with instructions, results, and a potential shipment of rewards). This year my oldest will be in the running for the big dictionary if he can earn a gold medal, also $$ and heavy to ship. Since I'm ordering for 2 kids my total cost, as far as I can tell, will be $54. I order two tests per child so we have a back up test if needed on test day.

I need to reach out to them by phone because one thing that's valuable to me is that individualized feedback sheet that tells me how each of my kids did, which ones they missed in comparison with other kids, etc. If we organize and take that as a cottage school (as in, we order and distribute the exams and instructions) will we get only one feedback page with everyone's results combined? That's not helpful for individual student improvement, only helpful for teachers generally. How does this work at HLS, or better, Spring Meadows?

Thanks for that catch, Dorinda!

For the Spring Meadows CS we take our exam with the full-time school as if we are just another class at the school. We do not receive an individualized report for each student, only the school wide breakdown.

I wonder if the cost would be the same if you utilized a PO Box instead of a residential address, which seems to be the point of contention here.
            Ryan Weston
            Director, Cottage Schools and Distributor Relations
            Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks, Ryan. We are brainstorming ideas.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Comment

I know we are near the final hour for registration, but I just saw this shipping clarification on the NLE site:
                Attention Homeschools

Beginning with the 2020 National Latin Exam, the total cost for residential shipping is $30. (UPS charges us more for residential delivery.) We are encouraging homeschoolers to select a business address for delivery. This address can be a spouse’s workplace, public/private school, public library, church, or other business address. Please provide the business name and shipping address when you register. If you wish to have delivery to a residence, please add the residential shipping fee item to your cart.

So--even if you can't have it delivered to your HOME perhaps you can arrange to have it delivered to your church or your spouse's or friend's business? Just thought this would help those ordering personally for their kids.

https://www.nle.org/Registration/Onl...-Paper-Testing
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Comment

I had mine sent to my brother’s business, but I don’t really know how they tell. Many people run home based businesses. I still can’t believe UPS charges as much for residential delivery as it does for international delivery, The NLE price is the same for both those situations.
                  Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                  DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                  DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1

Comment

Mom2mthj I think you mentioned that M took the online test last year, but I can't find the thread. Can you share what your concerns were on that one? I'm thinking of having B take it online this year.
                    Jennifer
                    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
                    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
                    MPOA: High School Comp. II
                    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
                    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
                    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
                    HSC: Modern European History

DS12
                    7M with:
                    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
                    SC Level 4

DD9
                    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
                    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
                    SC Level C

Comment

I believe you have to take it on one specific day. She did get kicked out once because of traffic on the website, but it saved her work. We were prepared for that eventuality by her teacher because there had been more issues the previous year. I thought it was a bit harder to read and navigate, but she didn’t seem to mind it too much. We went back to paper because I didn’t want to have to schedule two online tests on the same day.
                      Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

I don’t know how I completely missed the red letters that say “add this for residential shipping”. Eek. I wonder if our tests will still be shipped. Suppose I’ll call on Monday and see if they can add that on.
                        Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
                        DS 15: 10th, MPOA: HS Comp II, Economics
                        DD 13: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
                        DD 9: 4th using 3A
                        Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

Katie,

I made the same mistake, but received an email asking me to call NLE so that I could give an alternate address or pay for residential shipping.

Melisa
                          Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 10 years

dd - 9th grade using MP and Homeschool Connections
                          ds - 7th grade using MP

Comment

Working...
                          X