No announcement yet.

Help! My daughter hates Kindergarten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your original post outlined behaviors common not only to kindergarten students but many students. As the others above mentioned it is hard transitioning from summer back to school time especially when it is still warm and sunny and the pools are still open. I found that home schooling was also harder than teaching in a traditional classroom because it is hard to distinguish mommy from teacher. It took a long time and for my children to understand that when we were in the classroom I was teacher- not mommy. There would be no negotiations on schoolwork. I started strict and would not accept argument regarding assignments. Instead of stairs, my children either ran laps around the outside of the house or sat on their bed (no toys or books just sitting and thinking) when they refused to get busy or insisted on negotiating assignments. When they were ready to work they returned to the classroom but this allowed me to stay on schedule with my other children rather than have my entire day sidelined due to a whim.

Most students don't understand the "why" behind having to do things they think they already know. It is perhaps the biggest complaint with Rod & Staff because with math the written repetition is a key component to success and mastery. It is part of the work that must be done and not all work is fun. In fact often doing hard things is not fun. You are the teacher and have chosen this curriculum for a reason. Rest in your decision. I agree with Sarah that if you let your child think that you are considering changing the math because she is complaining, she is likely to complain and expect change whenever she doesn't like something or when she complains enough. Our children can outlast us or wear us down if they think there is a chance they will get their way. Let me encourage you to stay firm. You can try to add a time component to see how long it takes her to get her written work completed neatly and correctly-and without complaint. Challenge her to beat her time the next day. Play some classical music (smart music) during the individual work. Mozart works well. For pages that are especially well done, call a grandparent or close friend and let her overhear you telling them how proud you are of the day's work. When you do flashcard work with her you can explain that her speed is due to the written practice she has done.

The same can be said for phonics. The work done within the lessons of FSR is purposeful. We want mastery which is more than just letter recognition. If she picks up concepts quickly, just work through all the activities more quickly but don't skip ahead because you don't want gaps. All the phonic work will help with spelling in the future so lessons are beyond just reading. In Book B you will add dictation which is a more challenging task. You will also notice the Optional Lessons in the margins of the Teacher Guide. Complete these for added challenge as well. Once reading in Fun in the Sun begins read more stories than are scheduled. You could indicate to her that because she is doing so well she can handle another story or that because she is picking up the material so quickly she can move at a faster pace but that you can't skip ahead.

Science for this age is all discussion and observation based because that is how students this age best learn these concepts. The themes gleaned from the Read Aloud are then further developed by the Supplemental Science and Enrichment Set. Are you reading these as well and doing the activities? That first week you are to go outside and take a Summer Walk looking at the trees in your yard, labeling them and discussing their attributes- leaves, bark, seeds-if any- deciding if the tree is deciduous or evergreen and then selecting a tree to sketch in their Composition and Sketchbook. You can really individualize here and come up with a good sentence about a tree. Be sure to take her sentence, which is given orally, and write it on the board. Model how to expand to be a complete sentence or condense to be something she can actually copy into her book. This way correct spelling, capitalization and punctuation are ensured. In subsequent weeks you will revisit those same trees observing the changes through the seasons and noting these changes in the same manner. You can always ask at other times of day if she recalls what kind of trees are in the yard and which are deciduous/evergreen. This is just one example of how science is more than just reading a book. Now there are not experiments, you are correct. Back in my home school days I signed up for a free science experiment a week. I cannot recall the name of the site but maybe another person could help here. Our program isn't limited to the activities we suggest for expanding the themes. Add to your heart's delight! That is a home school benefit.

Please be encouraged your situation is not unique. We are here to offer suggestions and support. Your success with the materials is our goal.

Blessings,

Comment

Oh Sarah KF2000. I am printing out what you wrote. Thank you. I am (usually) a very patient, consistent, authoritative mother...now I need to become a patient, consistent, authoritative teacher.
      @MichelleT that helps so much. I like your detailed explanation of moving along but not skipping. I will certainly do it that way in the future! I saw the suggested activity about trees but sadly, it feels like our yard is a the preferred breeding ground for every single mosquito in the state so we haven't done that. We could, though, identify a few trees on our walk and then draw and talk about the tree in our yard while we sit in our mosquito free house. And we are going to start going to the little local science museum's homeschool days once a month so that she and her sister can do experiments and I don't have to clean up!

Certainly this idea of Kindergarten being training ground for the emotional and structural component of school is a good one...though a new one for me. I feel like I've realized a lot about myself and what this whole homeschooling mom things means in the past two days, and I am so encouraged by everyone's responses. Thank you. (the tagging used to work on my computer and now isn't...sorry)
      DD1: Third grade: reading, spelling, piano, and art along with MP Mammals, Lit Guides, LC yr 1, and R&S 3 so we are ready for 4NU next year
      DD2: MP Kindergarten
      DS 1: MP Preschool package
      Me: Autoimmune Protocol athlete who loves chai tea with coconut milk, a good book, and the mountains

Comment

Originally posted by Fireweed Prep View Post

This is so her. She likes knowing; she doesn't like learning. She's a complete perfectionist, too, to the point that if we are going through some phonics flashcards and she messes even one up, she INSISTS on redoing the entire stack until she gets them ALL perfect. Just one example of me feeling like I don't even know how to teach her!

So for the "knowing vs learning" how does mastery help???
        Mastery helps because very smart kiddos sometimes have a sort of imposter syndrome, with a fear of being wrong or not perfect. Mastering something really helps them get past it and not be afraid to try something hard/ new later. They know they can do it.
        Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Your daughter seems exactly like my son who is 5 and in K. I'm glad to read all of the advice from other posters- there is so much wisdom here! I focus a lot with my son on "who is the teacher and why" and "who is the student and why." We even did an activity which I saw suggested by a classroom teacher on YouTube (I wish I could credit her but I couldn't remember who did this) where we made a list on the whiteboard of qualities that make for a good student. Then we talked about what a good student would do/say and what a good student would not do/say. This actually helped a lot, but was good because it was interactive and not just me giving him a lecture. I included my second grader which helped. This year is really more about building good habits in our homeschool, than academics as far as I'm concerned. He does get very bogged down with much writing, so I do tell him at times that if he does one or two of his best letters, he does not need to do all of them each day. Other than that we do not skip around or disregard things because he "knows" them.

Comment

From experience, stay the course like all these Mommas have said. I let my daughter out of Kinder and MP and now regret it mightily. Just being smart is not enough.
            The Homeschool Grads:
            J- 6/96
            S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
            G- 4/04
            D- 5/05
            F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
            M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
            X