Kindergarten or First Grade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindergarten or First Grade?

We just started with a Cottage School and we love it so far. My 5.5 year old loves her teachers and the schoolwork and friends. However she is very bored on the home days. I was told to not push her forward because of her age but she is also already reading at a 1st grade level, and has been adding and subtracting single units for a year now.... and learning the letter "m" and the number '0" is just not cutting it for her. we fly through it in like 20 minutes and she wants more. I have been supplementing by getting her to read her readers early and getting books from the library but i'm worried its just a band aid solution and she will just get even more bored and end up hating schooling. recommendations? I want her to be with her peers in school and stay on grade level but at the same time i need to stimulate her love of learning. any recommendations of what to do would be helpful. Thank you!

What subjects does your cottage school cover?

That would help us know what to suggest as far as moving faster or adding on.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 7.5
    DD, 5.5
    +DS+
    DS, 18 months

Comment

They do the full Monday's work from the Kindergarten curriculum plus all of the weeks worth of Literature and Enrichment.

Comment

I would work on rapid, instant recall of the low digit math facts (say through the 5 family) in both addition and subtraction. See if she can write the answer to 30 mixed add/sub factsin under a minute. Also, really dig into the Enrichment for the read alouds if they are doing that. Get the supplemental readers and go through those.

For what it's worth, my daughter was a super precocious reader. By the middle of first grade she had read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe while fully discussing themes and characters. She tested very high on the WISC and Woodcock Johnson in vocabulary, one of the key predictors of success in academics. With all of that said, we still kept her on grade level. Granted, we didn't come to MP until the spring of her 1st grade year, so we did a condensed version of MP1 over the summer and rolled into MP2 in the fall. Still, her ability to tackle 3A with relative ease (minus things like spelling and needing plenty of upkeep with the math facts) bears witness to the fact that we made the right decision.

MP can be sneaky in how difficult it is when done to it's full extent. There are plenty of ways to make MPK more challenging. As I told my eldest, if this is "so easy," show me 100% every single time and show me rapidity or fluidity in demonstrating it. There are all kinds of things you can add in at home, from skip counting by 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 10s, 25s, working on reading clocks down to the minute, telling what time it will be an hour later or before, reading a thermometer, reading the supplemental readers herself, etc.
        Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
        DD 8-3A
        DS 5-SC C

Comment

I have really liked the A-L books from Rod and Staff for this age. They provide a wide variety of activities and the content ranges from farm life to all the different habitats of the world.

Also, I would let her go faster in Math. You could get a second workbook so that she still has what she needs for cottage school, but let her go at a mastery pace of her own at home.

Those would be my top two picks. Then I would explore nature centers near you for classes if you have time, or some sort of service project maybe? Taking board games and playing with folks at a nursing home? Having her read to folks there?

Just some thoughts.
          AMDG,
          Sarah
          2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
          DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
            I have really liked the A-L books from Rod and Staff for this age. They provide a wide variety of activities and the content ranges from farm life to all the different habitats of the world.

Also, I would let her go faster in Math. You could get a second workbook so that she still has what she needs for cottage school, but let her go at a mastery pace of her own at home.

Those would be my top two picks. Then I would explore nature centers near you for classes if you have time, or some sort of service project maybe? Taking board games and playing with folks at a nursing home? Having her read to folks there?

Just some thoughts.
            AMDG,
            Sarah
            My dd used to memorize and recite poetry at my grandmas' nursing homes at that age. It was mostly older poems and sometimes the older ladies would still remember and could recite parts with her!
            Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

I understand the situation you are in and will be following this thread to see if we can be helped out too. The first thing I would note is that this is the first week of cottage school. It is very bare bones at this point to get the child into gear. And it will ramp up in workload in the coming weeks. More things get added each week and it all builds on itself. It will be a lot of review for your child to start but I don't see that as a bad thing. Review is a key component of MP materials.

Supplementing will be of great help to you, especially at the start. We do a lot of extra reading and have an audiobook that we are listening to at any given point in time. We are catechizing and memorizing Scripture. We are currently doing some basic geography too as an add on.

Did you complete all the extra enrichment in the Enrichment Guide for the week? I know they cover some/most of the components on Monday, but, for example, did you go over the read aloud book and the poem "I'm Glad" a few times during the week? Ask all the associated questions with it using the book and poetry guidelines? Read the extra two books on trees? Make a map of your neighborhood and examine a city map and learn map symbols? There is actually a lot built in to the basic structure of the Kindergarten Curriculum Guide and the supplemental guides that will help an advanced student.

Finishing quickly (and well) is not a bad thing, it is one of the beauties of homeschooling. It frees up and redeems the time for other important things (family time, volunteering time, extra reading, catechism and Bible memory, etc.)

Lastly, if it was me, I would give it a few weeks and reassess at that time once the fullness of the curriculum kicks in. Hopefully these thoughts and questions are of some help as you think about it more and read other comments.
              Last edited by Beorn; 08-23-2019, 07:21 PM.
              2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
              S - 5, K @ home and HLN
              D - 3, rising through minor leagues quickly
              S - 2, the master of disasters

Comment

First off, I would recommend letting your child know she is in kindergarten. She is 5.5 and in most states she would not be allowed to start first grade. What kindergarten looks like for her can be different from other kids and doesn’t mean that she can’t be doing first grade work. It is just very hard to walk back that grade label later on especially in outside activities if you decide she isn’t ready for that next step. I agree with the others to let her move ahead in math at home. From what you describe it sounds like she is in a good place for reading, but not clearly outside of the normal mix of kids that show up in kindergarten in the fall. There are many things that are learned in kindergarten besides reading. Beorne is correct that it is also very early in the year...I would give things time to settle down before making adjustments. As for reading, my rising first grader was in a similar situation last year, but he enjoyed being with kids his age even if he could read more advanced material. He also needed work in handwriting. This year our cottage school isn’t continuing as one family (of three) has moved. My son reads at a very solid fourth-fifth grade level, but is finishing up story time treasures. For extra practice we team read books from the sonlight core A read aloud selections. They are content and length appropriate for his age and he enjoys it. We have also started the IEW poetry memorization program. Maybe he will be the one to finish it. My goal is to supplement the cores until he is mature enough to handle MP3.

Let her enjoy kindergarten and include lots of fun activities that you will both look back on fondly. School ramps up before you know it and none of my older kids look back and say gosh I wish you had made be do more schoolwork when I was little. No, they pine for the days when we could randomly take field trips without worrying about getting behind. Life isn’t a race and it really doesn’t have to be all academics.
                Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Working...
                X