Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henle Latin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Henle Latin

    My oldest daughter is doing Henle Latin this year. We have not done Latin (other than Song School) because there has not been enough time (and, quite frankly, it was the subject I least wanted to teach). Anyway, I am having difficulty understanding what I need to buy. I see the set of text, grammar, key, units 1-5 quizzes and tests, and units 1-5 teacher manual. I also saw a Henle Latin study guide on the used MP items facebook page. Finally, there appear to be flashcards now. Should I buy all of these items? Is there a way to buy the Study Guide new? Are there lesson plans I can purchase? Finally, should I be posting this on the 9-12 page here instead?
    Last edited by jejegreer; 08-20-2019, 01:35 PM.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella 9th grade with half MP and half Schole Academy classes
    Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

    #2
    MP people will have details- but what you are seeing is a mix of new and old material. MP completed rewrote study material for Henle. I believe the old study guide is all in the new teacher guide plus a lot more. But MP people will clarify that.
    what to buy? The whole package of Henle Units I-V and the flashcards should do it. It looks like the teacher manual has the lesson plans in it along with a ton of “chalk talk” of what to teach.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 20, Physics major
    DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
    DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by momgineer View Post
      MP people will have details- but what you are seeing is a mix of new and old material. MP completed rewrote study material for Henle. I believe the old study guide is all in the new teacher guide plus a lot more. But MP people will clarify that.
      what to buy? The whole package of Henle Units I-V and the flashcards should do it. It looks like the teacher manual has the lesson plans in it along with a ton of “chalk talk” of what to teach.
      You nailed it, momgineer! Our original study guides contained lesson plans, answer keys, and a grammar appendix. Several years ago, we revised those guides to (1) complete Henle I over two years rather than three, and (2) provide "chalk talk" to help the parent teach the lessons to their child. The latter change resulted in the renaming from "study guide" to "teacher manual," but these teacher manuals still include lesson plans, full answer keys, and the grammar appendix.

      The Henle First Year: Units I-V Set has all the essential items for full year of Latin with Henle. The vocabulary flashcards will certainly be helpful, but they are not necessary.

      ETA: I just saw your edits to your post, jejegreer. The lesson plans for Henle I are included in the teacher manuals. I suppose this thread technically belongs on the 9-12 board, but we'll let it go this time

      HTH!
      Last edited by Michael; 08-20-2019, 02:22 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Michael View Post


        ETA: I just saw your edits to your post, jejegreer. The lesson plans for Henle I are included in the teacher manuals. I suppose this thread technically belongs on the 9-12 board, but we'll let it go this time

        HTH!
        Michael,

        I think this post fits equally well on either board. Henle worked well for my son at age 12 and JeJe has a middle school student. Henle is nice for seventh or eighth graders who would like to have time to fit in some translation classes in high school instead of taking through 10th or 11th just to finish the forms.

        JeJe,

        Make sure to get the new teacher manual. It is very nice and has lots of helpful information. A word from the not so wise...make sure to listen to her recitation. My son skipped out on that a little too much. Glad to see they updated the quiz book. One of my better moves was taking the text book to the copy store to have it spiral bound and the cover laminated. It doesn’t like to stay open because it is so thick.
        Dorinda

        Plans for 2021-2022
        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
        DD College Freshman
        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

          Michael,

          I think this post fits equally well on either board. Henle worked well for my son at age 12 and JeJe has a middle school student. Henle is nice for seventh or eighth graders who would like to have time to fit in some translation classes in high school instead of taking through 10th or 11th just to finish the forms.

          JeJe,

          Make sure to get the new teacher manual. It is very nice and has lots of helpful information. A word from the not so wise...make sure to listen to her recitation. My son skipped out on that a little too much. Glad to see they updated the quiz book. One of my better moves was taking the text book to the copy store to have it spiral bound and the cover laminated. It doesn’t like to stay open because it is so thick.
          Is the recitation in the teacher book? I am very excited, for the first time ever, to actually do Lain. We are doing it this year, I promise you all who have told me to do it for years.
          JeJe Greer
          Mom to:
          Stella 9th grade with half MP and half Schole Academy classes
          Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

          Comment


            #6
            JeJe,

            Oh my, I completely missed the fact that we're talking about a middle-school student! We would recommend only attempting units 1-2 in an academic year for a child this age. The five-unit pace is designed for 9th grade at the youngest.

            HTH!

            Comment


              #7
              JeJe,
              I just sent you a private message.
              Dorinda

              Plans for 2021-2022
              15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
              DD College Freshman
              DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
              DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
              DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                JeJe,

                Oh my, I completely missed the fact that we're talking about a middle-school student! We would recommend only attempting units 1-2 in an academic year for a child this age. The five-unit pace is designed for 9th grade at the youngest.

                HTH!
                I was thinking that Henle I would take 3 years, and then Henle II, III and IV would take 1 year each. Is that a reasonable pace? I do not know if this should be a different thread, but I would also like to do Lingua Angelica because I love the hymns, and wonder when we should start that. Oh, and I obviously need to order all of this from you. Why I did not decide what to do until Monday of this week is beyond me, but now I am late!
                JeJe Greer
                Mom to:
                Stella 9th grade with half MP and half Schole Academy classes
                Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                  JeJe,
                  I just sent you a private message.
                  @momtomthj I got your message but I do not know how to reply. I am not even sure if this is tagging you, Dorinda. I am going to have to look through everything to see if there are instructions on how to use the forum messages. I appreciate you sending me the message.
                  JeJe Greer
                  Mom to:
                  Stella 9th grade with half MP and half Schole Academy classes
                  Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by jejegreer View Post

                    I was thinking that Henle I would take 3 years, and then Henle II, III and IV would take 1 year each. Is that a reasonable pace? I do not know if this should be a different thread, but I would also like to do Lingua Angelica because I love the hymns, and wonder when we should start that. Oh, and I obviously need to order all of this from you. Why I did not decide what to do until Monday of this week is beyond me, but now I am late!
                    Good afternoon JeJe,

                    Yes, a pace of Henle I over three years in 7th-9th, followed by one year each for Henle II-IV is a reasonable pace. You can add Lingua Angelica at any point for music appreciation, but your student won't be able to translate much until she's made some progress in the Latin language. There is plenty of meat in all four Henle books though, so you may prefer to just require your student listen to (and maybe memorize one or two) pieces, and omit the workbooks. And finally, better late than never, right!?

                    HTH!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      And finally, better late than never, right!?

                      HTH!
                      That is what I am telling myself. Clara is starting Latin this year in SC 5/6 so hopefully it will be easier for her!
                      JeJe Greer
                      Mom to:
                      Stella 9th grade with half MP and half Schole Academy classes
                      Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X