How to use phonics flashcards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use phonics flashcards

I’m almost embarrassed to ask this question as I know the answer is likely painfully obvious, but can someone walk me through exactly how the phonics flashcards should be presented to the student while using them alongside Story Time Treasures? Should I be showing the student the front of the card and asking her to state the sound on her own and read the words on the back to me, or do I tell her which sound it is? I think part of the reason for my confusion is that we are coming from AAR where all of the sounds for each phonogram are recited together instead of having a separate flashcards for each sound, and I’m not sure if I should be indicating *which* sound the flashcards is covering or if she should intuit that based on the picture.

I hope that makes sense. TIA!

I gave my daughter a chance to read the sound based on context clues (the picture), but she only got one guess before I told her the answer. I would say the sound, point to the letters, and ask her to say the sound. Then, I would say the sound again, say, "like..." and flip over the card for her to read the words.

We also came from a different phonics program that listed all the sounds a phonogram made. In the beginning, I would say, "This is the first sound of oo (/oo/-/uh/-oh/)." I eventually faded those prompts as she adopted the style of the FSR Phonics approach.
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

Comment

The way we use the flashcards with STT, MSTT, and 2nd grade lit. or either Traditional Spelling Program is to show a card, ask student if they know the sound. If they can read the sound or ascertain the sound by looking at the clue picture great. Repeat the sound and clue picture ex: Teacher- igh as in light, Student repeats- igh as in light while looking at the card. Do this with all new cards for the lesson. We don't break down each sound, rather teach the sound as a whole. It is beneficial to note any silent letters or if letters are making a sound that isn't common ex: s=/z/ . I would wait to go over the words on the back until later in the week but that is up to you. After you have introduced all the cards this way go back through the stack and have student identify on own hopefully at a faster pace. If they forget one, go ahead and tell them but have them repeat it correctly. Post the cards up on the wall for easy reference during reading. The next day take them off the wall and review stack flashcard style as part of review at the beginning of the lesson. At end of the week if any cards need more practice, add them to a stack you keep as part of morning review. Once you feel students have cards mastered remove them from morning review. Periodically review all the cards that have been covered to date. This probably only needs to be done 1 a month or so even if your child is a good reader/ speller.

Comment

This is helpful. Thank you!

Comment

You are welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X