Using Classical Phonics as reading intervention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Classical Phonics as reading intervention

My church has an outreach where we go into elementary schools and read one on one or in small groups with below level second graders. Because they simply don’t have the staff to work with students who are neurotypical but 2-3 grade levels behind in reading, they’ve invited us to expand our program to actual teaching. I’m meeting with the teachers to present Classical Phonics in the next couple of weeks. I’m excited that they are open to exploring it. One teacher told the lead that they aren’t taught how to teach reading. They’re basically at the mercy of whatever curriculum is selected for them.
    Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Bean,

What a great ministry of your church! So many times, not reading fluently early enough sets students back forever in their education. This is a good thing you are doing!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Bean,

What a great ministry of your church! So many times, not reading fluently early enough sets students back forever in their education. This is a good thing you are doing!

Tanya
      Agreed. Keep it up, bean!
      2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
      S - 5, K @ home and HLN
      D - 3, rising through minor leagues quickly
      S - 2, the master of disasters

Comment

Way to go Bean! Keep us posted on how it goes!
        AMDG,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 7.5
        DD, 5.5
        +DS+
        DS, 18 months

Comment

This is wonderful. Classical Phonics is very useful in that situation. A set of Phonics Flashcards would be beneficial as well! When I have tutored below level students we went through the stack of flashcards to ascertain where gaps were since by end of 2nd grade students should know the entire stack. Then you have a starting point!

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
            This is wonderful. Classical Phonics is very useful in that situation. A set of Phonics Flashcards would be beneficial as well! When I have tutored below level students we went through the stack of flashcards to ascertain where gaps were since by end of 2nd grade students should know the entire stack. Then you have a starting point!
            Thanks Michelle. I will look at those!
            Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Working...
            X