R&S 1 expectations vs. reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R&S 1 expectations vs. reality

Is it expected that in R&S 1, students write each and every answer, rather than skipping some or doing some orally? I am also confused by the flashcards. I have the R&S1 flashcards, and like them, so that's not the issue! :-) We did lesson 18 today, and according to the teacher's manual, you were supposed to do six sets of flashcards (before numbers, between numbers, after numbers, fact families addition, number patterns, and numbers with number order). All of this was fine...but it also seemd a bit overkill given that it also corresonded almost directly with what was in the student math book for lesson 18. The "teaching and learning for mastery" is new for us, so I don't want to skim or skimp and end up hurting later on, but I also don't want to crush her spirit.
    DD1: Third grade: reading, spelling, piano, and art along with MP Mammals, Lit Guides, LC yr 1, and R&S 3 so we are ready for 4NU next year
    DD2: MP Kindergarten
    DS 1: MP Preschool package
    Me: Autoimmune Protocol athlete who loves chai tea with coconut milk, a good book, and the mountains

If you have the MP1 CM, those first few weeks are a hodge-podge of cherry-picked pages for review. Starting at the end of week 3, it picks up with Lesson 40, but it blows through multiple lessons on some days and much of a whole lesson on another. If you don't have the lesson plans for it, get them.

From the teacher's notes at the beginning of MP1's CM, it says not to feel like you have to do every single problem on the assigned pages, just do the ones your student needs reinforcement in.

I use R&S Arithmetic flashcard work as me getting to see what trips up my learner. If your child has down cold all the before numbers, after numbers, and between numbers, do it once and look for a skipped day to bring it back in to refresh it.

I found it much easier to just go with the manual and overteach the concept. It was met with much eye rolling, but I appreciate the strong foundation it provided. In the recommended schedule, Math in 1st grade should be done daily for about 45 minutes.
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

Comment

My gut feeling would be do do all the teaching in the TM (maybe not all of the examples) and then do less written work in the workbook. This is what I’ve found to be most helpful for my children. (My oldest is in R&S 4 now).
      Susan

2018-2019
      A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
      C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
      G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Awesome thank you for those responses. I like teaching math and doing the lessons together, and even the flash cards aren’t too bad, really, once I shuffle through and find the ones I need that day! I will look at reducing some of the written work in the student text and see how that goes. I only have the Kindergarten math syllabus but she truly doesn’t need all the extra practice sheets so I imagine we will finish the Kindergarten portion and start the first grade portion before the end of the school year.
        DD1: Third grade: reading, spelling, piano, and art along with MP Mammals, Lit Guides, LC yr 1, and R&S 3 so we are ready for 4NU next year
        DD2: MP Kindergarten
        DS 1: MP Preschool package
        Me: Autoimmune Protocol athlete who loves chai tea with coconut milk, a good book, and the mountains

Comment

My goodness, my brain is so fried from these first three weeks back at school. I totally missed that you're in K with R&S 1, not MP1. So, ignore what I wrote about MP1. Geesh. I don't have a Kindergartener in R&S Arithmetic 1, so I have no wisdom to offer there.
          Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
          DD 8-3A
          DS 5-SC C

Comment

Rather than reduce the written work for a student who CAN do it, try to condense or cut back on the oral work. Don't skip it always everyday, but if the child is good at counting to 50 by ones or skip counting, rather than doing that everyday, do it every other day. The same can be said for all the flashcard practice. You can cover before numbers one day, after the next, and between the following day then for one day mix them or cover a few of each. The addition and subtraction flashcards that are scheduled for the lesson should always be included and not skipped neither should the written practice. You were correct in assuming they are key to mastery. The interactive lesson should take the bulk of your math time making the independence of the written work faster. Every year we have our kindergarten students complete all the written work in all the lessons. You can take a snack or movement break between the lesson and written work if you need to or even complete the written lesson in sections if need be. Try playing "smart music" (Mozart or other classical music) when it is time to write. Also be sure to check the work and have the student make corrections as quickly as possible while the information is fresh.

Comment

Working...
            X