1st Grade Phonics Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Grade Phonics Guide

Hi all! I'm just getting my books in order to start next week and found a "Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling" I'd saved from when my son went through 1st grade in 2016-2017. I just wanted to confirm that this was phased out? My assumption is that maybe all of this information was rolled in to the Traditional Spelling program that has been developed since then? Can anyone chime in on this?
    2018-2019 4th year with MP

DS8 MP 2nd
    DD6 MP Kindergarten
    DD4 MP Preschool
    DS1 scribbles on everything

Hello.

The Phonics Guide information has been rolled into the TS teacher manuals and the literature teacher manuals, so your assumption that it is obsolete is correct

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,

Didn’t there also used to be a summer bridge to first grade for reading? I don’t see that any longer. Did that content get wrapped up in the first grade changes to literature?
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
        Tanya,

Didn’t there also used to be a summer bridge to first grade for reading? I don’t see that any longer. Did that content get wrapped up in the first grade changes to literature?
        Good evening Dorinda,

Tanya is visiting a school, so I hope you don't mind my jumping in! Yes, we used to schedule a summer bridge between K and 1st consisting of FSR E and several EPS Primary Phonics Readers. The former is now included in the beginning of 1st and the latter have been made optional due to their cost. Students should still practice reading over that summer so they don't regress, but "only" reading is fine

HTH!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Hi! It's been awhile since I've been around, but I had a quick question that I think pairs well with the intent of this post. In the two years since I've done first grade last, it appears that the primary phonics grade 2 book has been eliminated from the first grade curriculum? Is this because of traditional spelling as well? I always appreciated the phonics book backup as practice but if those more advanced phonics concepts are covered by other means I'm alright with that too!

thanks!
          Blair
          Blair

Mom to 6 sweet girls and finally a boy!
          SB - 9 - starting MP 5M
          A - 7 - starting MP 3rd
          M - 5 - starting MP 1st
          F & SG - 4 year old identical twinners
          CJ - a rascally, busy 2 year old
          GH - 4/17/2017, much adored, baby brother!

Comment

Yes, in first grade phonics was divided into phonics for reading and phonics for spelling. We updated the Teacher Guide for Story Time Treasures to include the phonics information for reading. The phonics information for spelling were the activities needed to boost Spelling Work Out. With the creation of Traditional Spelling we don’t need those extra spelling phonics activities because TS is a complete program!

Second grade was updated in the same manner for the same reasons!

Comment

Thanks Michelle!
              Blair

Mom to 6 sweet girls and finally a boy!
              SB - 9 - starting MP 5M
              A - 7 - starting MP 3rd
              M - 5 - starting MP 1st
              F & SG - 4 year old identical twinners
              CJ - a rascally, busy 2 year old
              GH - 4/17/2017, much adored, baby brother!

Comment

You are welcome!

Comment

Working...
                X