Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All About Spelling vs. TS vs. SWO vs ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All About Spelling vs. TS vs. SWO vs ????

My daughter is in third grade. She reads on a sixth grade level but her spelling isn't that great. We did All About Spelling 1 last year, and we are about 6 lessons into All About Spelling 2, and she's really struggling. Today, for example, she couldn't figure out the correct vowels to use in Item, Bonus, Broken, or Humid. She figured out "broken" when I asked what the root word is; she knew it was "broke" and could guess from there.

I think she would place fairly well into Traditional Spelling 2, but I only want to use that if TS 3 is going to be up and running by next year so we can continue with that. I know SWO is recommended for third grade but we have attempted that one in the past and really didn't like it. We also gave Spelling You See a shot and that was even more vague for us than All About Spelling. I'm honestly considering getting "My Catholic Speller" series by Catholic Heritage Curriculum even though we are Episcopalian!

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
    Emily…a hunter who prefers coffee to chocolate and dreams of the mountains

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2021-2022
    DD (age 10): MP 5
    DD (age 8): MP 2
    DS (age 5): MP K
    "Maybe stalking the woods is as vital to the human condition as making music or putting words to paper. Maybe hunting has as much of a claim on our civilized selves as anything else.” Steven Rinella

I wouldn't avoid TS2 just because TS3 is still in beta. TS2 is amazing! My daughter also came from a different phonics program and soared with TS2. The great thing about TS2 is that you can easily adapt the colorful letters and phonics/syllabication approach to SWO D or whatever comes next. All the whispers I hear say TS3 isn't ready for next year, but I'll let the pros speak to that. We're doing SWO D this year, and it's super similar. I decided to add syllabication and colorful letters to it for now, and as she gets the hang of it, we'll phase it out. It's really a brilliant program. You'd love it.
    Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
    Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
    SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Thank you!!! Ok. I will get it. Good to know that you can transition to SWO fairly well from TS. I imagine that TS would give me the confidence to teach SWO better. I feel that somehow, despite using All About Reading, my daughter learned to read with only the most rudimentary application of phonics, and that isn’t doing us any favors in spelling! We are starting my Kindergartener from the beginning with FSR and I hope it will go a bit smoother for her.

"Maybe stalking the woods is as vital to the human condition as making music or putting words to paper. Maybe hunting has as much of a claim on our civilized selves as anything else.” Steven Rinella

Comment

Remember that it's really not all that uncommon for kids' encoding (spelling) to lag behind decoding (reading). The systematic approach to phonics in spelling with the say-spell-say method is a double whammy for kids. I'm quietly chuckling that you're having the same experience I did. I came to MP2 in parts and pieces the summer before we started, and slowly but surely I added subjects until I had the whole thing. My sweet husband let me replace almost an entire year's worth of curriculum (eye rolls and all), and it was the best decision we ever made.
        Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
        Summer start 5A

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
          Remember that it's really not all that uncommon for kids' encoding (spelling) to lag behind decoding (reading). The systematic approach to phonics in spelling with the say-spell-say method is a double whammy for kids. I'm quietly chuckling that you're having the same experience I did. I came to MP2 in parts and pieces the summer before we started, and slowly but surely I added subjects until I had the whole thing. My sweet husband let me replace almost an entire year's worth of curriculum (eye rolls and all), and it was the best decision we ever made.
          Oh, dear me! lol that is my EXACT position hahaha. My husband has been ok with it. He recently bought a very, very expensive racing bicycle so he didn't have a whole lot of room to talk! :-) We will be SO set for fourth grade now! :-)

I'm not concerned about where her spelling is at; I'm concerned that she isn't making progress. Honestly, what's helping the most right now is writing out answers in her Lit guides!

Appreciate the help ;-)

Comment

Loved AAS with my oldest, and we are only about done with AAs3. However, she had to repeat AaS2 and AAS2 is not going well for my son! So, he is doing Simply Classical Spelling Book 2 and she will be doing SWO book D (she’s a 4th grader). I just do not have time to do spelling for 20 min a day, with 3 kids. I did determine after the first AAS2 failure that it really does take that dedication, like AAR. I will take that “review” approach and dictate previous words to ensure total mastery. She is very smart, so if I test her on list words, she gets them correct because she figures out the pattern, but mix the phonics sounds up and that is when I find out she does not in fact know how to spell the word!
            Christine

(2021/2022)
            DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
            DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
            DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Quick question...do you feel that moving from AAS2 to TS2 is the right placement? My son is on that same lesson in AAS2. I will say it is a tricky lesson and you really have to be careful how you pronounce some of the words like human. It is also one of the first with multi syllable words. I looked at traditional spelling at Sodalitas. TS1 looked too easy at least for most of the book, but I was nervous jumping into TS2. My oldest two liked Seton spelling much better than SWO if you are looking for a workbook program after TS. It didn’t have the editing page that you have to ignore and it didn’t have the silly crossword puzzles and such. It substituted those pages with definitions and selecting the correct word to use in a sentence.
              Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
              15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
              DD College Freshman
              DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
              DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
              DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

I can tell you that we are on that same lesson in AAS2 and I agree that it is a very difficult lesson. Those two-syllable words with an unaccented second syllable make it difficult to hear the second vowel. I don’t pronounce “human” as hu-MAN but as hu-min. I pronounce “bonus” more like bo-nis. There is just a lot of visual memory that is required to spell all of these words correctly. I have told my daughter that she needs to be able to spell the first syllable correctly and she needs to have the correct consonants in the second syllable, but I don’t expect her to be able to hear the correct second vowel in all of the words. I am just making a note of the difficult words and I plan to review those with her as we continue on to the next lessons to give her time to get the correct spelling of those words into her visual memory.
                Michelle

Dd20 - homeschooled through 8th grade using WTM, now a junior in college
                Dd7 - mostly MP 3M with Saxon Math, All About Spelling, and First Language Lessons

Comment

I think part of our struggle with AAS is that she doesn’t have words to study first—there is a lot of guessing going on for her. She has the same struggle in Latina Christians in that she is doing brilliantly with it, and can read and conjugate it all, but can’t spell “Italia”. I think a program like TS that slows it down and has more studying will help her. Hopefully TS 2 is a good place for her to begin! I will absolutely keep the above idea about Seton Spelling as a replacement for SWO for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                    Quick question...do you feel that moving from AAS2 to TS2 is the right placement? My son is on that same lesson in AAS2. I will say it is a tricky lesson and you really have to be careful how you pronounce some of the words like human. It is also one of the first with multi syllable words. I looked at traditional spelling at Sodalitas. TS1 looked too easy at least for most of the book, but I was nervous jumping into TS2. My oldest two liked Seton spelling much better than SWO if you are looking for a workbook program after TS. It didn’t have the editing page that you have to ignore and it didn’t have the silly crossword puzzles and such. It substituted those pages with definitions and selecting the correct word to use in a sentence.
                    I personally don't think moving from early AAS2 - TS2 is the correct placement, but it is tricky! My daughter did AAS1 & 2 some of AAS 3 & SC spelling book 2. We did do TS1 quickly and some of it was easy, but there is more going on in TS than "just" spelling. I have TS1 & TS 2 & AAS & SWOD. So...here's what I can compare. (I have 3 kids close in age and ability, thus the need!)

Oldest did TS 1 last year, but we finished it in 6 months. I had her "pretest her words". However, because she can recognize a pattern. I did 4-5 lessons at a time and mixed the words up (but spread it over a couple of days, so this was the only thing we did). If she missed more than 3 words in a list, then we spent the whole week on that lesson. If she did not miss any words, we spent 2 days on the lesson. I did take the AAS approach and begin spelling by pulling out previous weeks words (scrambled so there was no pattern) before we began. So, to be clear. I took a few days to "test" the first 5 lessons. I did not go down the list, but scrambled the words so I knew if she really knew how to spell the words. After a few days I made note of the words she got wrong. If a lesson had more than 3 words wrong, we spent the whole week on the lesson. If not, we did it in 2 days. Then, I went to the next 5 lessons and did the same thing....so in the end it took about a semester to get through.

Here are a few comparisons between TS 1 and 2. The most notable being there are only 10 words in TS 1 and there are 15 in TS 2 (SWO is 20 words). Lesson 2 of TS 1 and lesson 3 of TS 2 teach the same thing. The sound of long A. So, there are words with a_e, ai, and ay. In TS 1 the words are day, sail, wave, etc. In TS2 it is today, daisy, railway. Lesson 3 of TS 1 and lesson 4 of TS 2 teach ee and ea. The words in TS 1 are green, team, see, need, etc. In TS2 they are street, speak, real, greeting. Lesson 5 and 6 - long O. Spelled o_e, oe, oa, ow in TS2 where TS1 has o_e, oa, ow, but also blends with o. So, oak, soft, snow, note in TS 1 and nose, follow, cold, throat, colt, coach in TS2.

We just did SWOD today and I feel like this is going to be a good fit for my daughter. She completed all 4 of the AAR levels and she knows these rules. We do have to stop and apply them, but I think we were getting bogged down in AAS. We finished AAS3, but there is also a lot of writing in AAS3 and we are getting a lot of writing elsewhere, so I think SWOD is going to work, but I'll let you know! After day 1 she can work independently. Which is a win with 3 kids needing spelling!
                    Christine

(2021/2022)
                    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
                    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
                    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
                    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
                    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
                    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post

I personally don't think moving from early AAS2 - TS2 is the correct placement, but it is tricky! My daughter did AAS1 & 2 some of AAS 3 & SC spelling book 2. We did do TS1 quickly and some of it was easy, but there is more going on in TS than "just" spelling. I have TS1 & TS 2 & AAS & SWOD. So...here's what I can compare. (I have 3 kids close in age and ability, thus the need!)

Oldest did TS 1 last year, but we finished it in 6 months. I had her "pretest her words". However, because she can recognize a pattern. I did 4-5 lessons at a time and mixed the words up (but spread it over a couple of days, so this was the only thing we did). If she missed more than 3 words in a list, then we spent the whole week on that lesson. If she did not miss any words, we spent 2 days on the lesson. I did take the AAS approach and begin spelling by pulling out previous weeks words (scrambled so there was no pattern) before we began. So, to be clear. I took a few days to "test" the first 5 lessons. I did not go down the list, but scrambled the words so I knew if she really knew how to spell the words. After a few days I made note of the words she got wrong. If a lesson had more than 3 words wrong, we spent the whole week on the lesson. If not, we did it in 2 days. Then, I went to the next 5 lessons and did the same thing....so in the end it took about a semester to get through.

Here are a few comparisons between TS 1 and 2. The most notable being there are only 10 words in TS 1 and there are 15 in TS 2 (SWO is 20 words). Lesson 2 of TS 1 and lesson 3 of TS 2 teach the same thing. The sound of long A. So, there are words with a_e, ai, and ay. In TS 1 the words are day, sail, wave, etc. In TS2 it is today, daisy, railway. Lesson 3 of TS 1 and lesson 4 of TS 2 teach ee and ea. The words in TS 1 are green, team, see, need, etc. In TS2 they are street, speak, real, greeting. Lesson 5 and 6 - long O. Spelled o_e, oe, oa, ow in TS2 where TS1 has o_e, oa, ow, but also blends with o. So, oak, soft, snow, note in TS 1 and nose, follow, cold, throat, colt, coach in TS2.

We just did SWOD today and I feel like this is going to be a good fit for my daughter. She completed all 4 of the AAR levels and she knows these rules. We do have to stop and apply them, but I think we were getting bogged down in AAS. We finished AAS3, but there is also a lot of writing in AAS3 and we are getting a lot of writing elsewhere, so I think SWOD is going to work, but I'll let you know! After day 1 she can work independently. Which is a win with 3 kids needing spelling!
                      Wow, thank you so much for that!!! I honestly wonder if I should have purchased TS1 vs. 2. Hmmm. I will look at TS2 when it gets here, and then I may order TS1 instead. Thanks for your detailed comparison!

Comment

I find it a bit hard to tell from the samples online what the best level is. Usually it only shows the first lesson and one from the middle of the book. My guess is we will finish AAS2 and start AAS3 this year since I have them. I always fight the urge to try something new.
                        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                        DD College Freshman
                        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

So I purchased TS2, and then I went ahead and purchased TS1. TS 2 looked like we could probably manage it, but I decided just to start over with TS1 and we will do that, in full, this year, and do TS 2 next year, and maybe by the time we are ready for TS 3, they will have that ready! :-) Thanks for all the help. Going to start the Sharpie Sentence Strip experience tonight. I asked in another place on the forum, but are you supposed to do the sentence strip colorful words in print or in cursive?

Comment

Do them in print. Cursive would look messy and be confusing to the budding cursive reader. I used the guide at the back of the book. Be careful and count your cards and number the backs as you finish each week. It's surprisingly easy to skip over words, rewrite the same words, etc....or maybe my eyes were just bleary from burning the midnight oil.
                            Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
                            Summer start 5A

Comment

Thanks @enb

Comment

Working...
                              X