Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traditional Spelling 2: Weekly Word Lists (Colorful Words-style)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Spelling 2: Weekly Word Lists (Colorful Words-style)

Though I've taught MP second grade multiple times this will be my first time through Traditional Spelling 2. Since we will be working with the words at the school table one on one I was thinking about a way to display the colorful words in a list, rather than on note cards for ease of seeing and storing.

One question first: does this defeat the purpose of having them on individual cards for shuffled flashcard review each week, or is it be OK to go through them as lists for the entire year?

Secondly, has anyone (or have you, MP) reformatted the colorful words lists into some sort of printable PDF? I would think two lists per 8/5x11 sheet printed tall-wise would be large enough to be useful when teaching side by side with one student. I could print them on cardstock and cut them down the middle. I do not want to undertake this if someone already has a resource for it though. Ideas? Help?

If I can avoid making 490 flashcards for my youngest and last (sob) MP student then I would love that.

TIA!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Jessica,

I would not do the the entire year of individual cards. For TS we don't really read from a stack of flashcards, rather we have the weekly words displayed for students to see and reference all week. Our teachers purchased the small pocket chars from the dollar store. Having them on display helps with Say, Spell, Say as well.

At one point we did discuss making charts of the colorful words, but the cost would be so much and you know how we avoid adding extraneous materials. Really the words do not have to be displayed in the colored format. In our classrooms the teachers display the words on sentence strips but they are all one color.

HTH,

Comment

Last year when I taught TS 1 I displayed the weekly words on the board (this year using a pocket chart) with all letters in the same color and used them to practice Say, Spell, Say, and also as an additional reference for some of our activities. Students have the list in their books, but sometimes I like them to keep their books closed while we're doing an activity together to cut down on distraction.

When doing colorful letters, I modeled it on the board using the appropriate colored dry-erase pens as they copied it into their student books. Then, when practicing in their practice books, they did the colorful letters on their own but could reference their student book if they forgot the pattern or which was the vowel team.

If I wanted to drill on words from past lists, I would just choose a few from my TG and ask them to Say, Spell, Say.

I imagine you could use a small whiteboard at home to display the week's words, and then another small whiteboard to model the colorful letters and save making the cards altogether if you wanted to.

Comment

It really doesn't take that long to write them. I finished it out in 3 evenings after dinner for about 1.5 hours each sitting. Having them sorted and ready to go for each lesson was so helpful and time saving. Plus, the sentence strips were more economical for SO.MANY.WORDS. I got a pack for $5ish from OfficeMax and cut them to each word's size (not all the same length). I wrote the Lesson number on the bottom back in case they got mixed up, then I paper clipped them by lesson number and stuck them in a shoe box. To display them, I tucked them into the edge of my dry erase board. A pocket chart would be fun, but I didn't have the room. Plus, you're not only constantly writing words and sentences on the board, you're showing them how to write them in cursive starting about mid year. I found writing a few of the words on a dashed midline really helped her. But the reason I really liked having the cards premade was that I could toss her the stack for independent copywork and as a check for colorful letters. I knew it would be too much work to write and erase them for Dictation on Thursday, but then have them up the rest of Thursday until Friday's test. Click image for larger version

Name:	15649557741375071110113279892171.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	114951
        Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
        DD 8-3A
        DS 5-SC C

Comment

And here's how I tucked them into the edge of my white board. And one more way they were incredibly useful as cards: alphabetical sorting. We tried so hard with her just crossing them off a list and numbering the list on the first page of the lesson, but she always left one out. With the cards, she could sort every single one and then write the list in order. It saved lots of tears.Click image for larger version  Name:	15649560532874215830645518805721.jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	114953
          Last edited by enbateau; 08-04-2019, 05:10 PM.

SY 19/20
          DD 8-3A
          DS 5-SC C

Comment

Wow, thanks for all those tips, enbateau! Shawna & Michelle, helpful info as well. I won't have a white board to work with, but I think I can modify your suggestions here.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
            S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
            D · 8th
            D · 5th
            S · 2nd

Comment

The colorful word cards are my daughter's favorite part of Spelling! I agree that they don't take that long to make in bulk before the year starts. I make them all, divide into lessons, and store in a drawer in a school desk.

I use them similarly to enbateau -

- I spread them all on the table, read the definitions aloud from the TM, and my daughter chooses the correct card (I do this on Day 1)
              - She organizes them in ABC order
              - She uses them to check her colorful words (and she loves it if she finds a mistake of mine!!)
              - She categorizes the words similar to the workbook's Day 1 activity

I don't usually display them, but we work with them almost every school day.

I tried making a printable card list, but couldn't find proper diacritical marks in the font I wanted to use. Too bad because that would have been much easier!
              Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2019-2020:
              9th grade DS: At a University-Model School this year plus Henle I at home
              7th grade DD: Mostly 7M Core and MPOA SFL
              5th grade DD: 5M
              3rd Grade DD: The one that doesn't fit nicely in a core ;) R&S 3rd Grade Math and Grammar, TS II, Prima, some MP2&3 Lit, CSII, Mammals
              2 yo DS Pudding Pie

Comment

Agreed. I wrote them out on large sentence strips and cut them to specific word size. It really helped my brain to figure out the color-code rules to write them all out.

And I'm doing two levels this year...that's a lot of cards! I found they fit in snack size plastic bags. I don't trust paperclips. So, each week has its own labeled bag.
                Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Is it recommended that you write the colorful words in manuscript or in cursive for the sentence strips? I have the materials and am going to start this tonight for TS1. I agree that doing it myself will help me teach it!
                  DD1: Third grade: reading, spelling, piano, and art along with MP Mammals, Lit Guides, LC yr 1, and R&S 3 so we are ready for 4NU next year
                  DD2: MP Kindergarten
                  DS 1: MP Preschool package
                  Me: Autoimmune Protocol athlete who loves chai tea with coconut milk, a good book, and the mountains

Comment

Print. They're just learning cursive in grade 1. I would hold off on cursive spelling lists until 3rd.

My daughter is struggling with this new change in third. So, I can't imagine it any younger.
                    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Yeah, it was a lot harder for my daughter to trace over her spelling words in TS2 when she started the transition to cursive. For this reason, I let her syllabicate her words, do colorful letters and mark the vowels in print. I used the Spelling Practice Sheets from TSII to let her write her words in cursive, and we stopped having her trace over it. We kept the cards in manuscript. It would be really hard to connect red and blue letters in cursive and have it look neat.

SY 19/20
                      DD 8-3A
                      DS 5-SC C

Comment

Update: I am making individual cards each week and they are a big hit!! I'm using colored pen to write the words on plain old 3x5 notecards which I got for cheap at back to school time.
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                        S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                        D · 8th
                        D · 5th
                        S · 2nd

Comment

I put them in a cheap box from Walmart!
                          Attached Files
                          Christine

(2019/2020)
                          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                          DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                          DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by MamaHill View Post
                            The colorful word cards are my daughter's favorite part of Spelling! I agree that they don't take that long to make in bulk before the year starts. I make them all, divide into lessons, and store in a drawer in a school desk.

I use them similarly to enbateau -

- I spread them all on the table, read the definitions aloud from the TM, and my daughter chooses the correct card (I do this on Day 1)
                            - She organizes them in ABC order
                            - She uses them to check her colorful words (and she loves it if she finds a mistake of mine!!)
                            - She categorizes the words similar to the workbook's Day 1 activity

I don't usually display them, but we work with them almost every school day.

I tried making a printable card list, but couldn't find proper diacritical marks in the font I wanted to use. Too bad because that would have been much easier!
                            I love these uses of the cards!!!
                            Christine

(2019/2020)
                            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Working...
                            X