Third grade flashcards and timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third grade flashcards and timeline

Hello! Could some of you more experienced mamas offer advice about the (millions of) flashcards for third grade?

Is the review box supposed to replace the recitation in the CM? Does the review box replace the cards from MP for each individual subject (e.g., the D’Aulaires cards, the EGR cards, etc.)? Do you use the memory box AND the subject-specific flashcards? How does this fit into your homeschool day? For instance, do you use the memory box at the beginning of the day and the subject-specific cards as you cover each subject?

Another question: How do you handle the timeline when you have students close in age? I can’t imagine we’d have a timeline for each child (I’m imagining timelines everywhere in our house eventually ...), but I can see the benefit of a child adding cards as he covers the period in class, rather than me just pointing to cards that were added previously by an older student.

Thank you you so much! I’m a long time lurker, first time poster, and I have benefitted from so much wisdom and practical advice here over the years!
    2019/20 School Year:
    DS, age 9, grade 3
    DD, age 7, grade 2
    DD, age 5, grade K
    DS, age 2
    DS, infant

I'll try to take a picture later of what I did with the Review box, but the millions of dividers killed it for me. What I did was take all the flashcards and sort them together by week. You'd think it'd be straight forward, like all lesson 1 for Greek Myths, Latina Christiana, Christian Studies, States & Capitals, EGR, etc, but it's not. So, I printed out all the review box flashcards on a different card stock color for each subject. Then, I stuck the review box card at the front of each subject with the rest behind if it had individual flashcards (LC, GM, CSI, S&C). I took the CS Scripture memory verse flashcards and made them the weekly divider. Only, when I separated them out, I had to make 6 or so blank flashcards out of card stock that said "Review" for the review weeks. I took Post-It flags and stuck them on the memory verse flashcard tops in a staggered pattern (left to right repeating after the end of the line). I use a piece of colored cardstock bent in half as my place holder. We decided we would go through the flashcards almost nightly, and in subsequent weeks we will do another week of review on a rotating basis, but I'd lose my ever-loving mind if I had to sort them out into different weekly, daily and monthly slots. We are also planning on moving review box flashcards up into their final weeks as we go alone (especially for lit ones that cover multiple chapters or 15 Brightest Stars that get memorized over multiple weeks). I figured if we have details we're still needing to learn or memorize, that they'll just come along to the next week and at the end of the year get resorted by first week introduced.

As for Timeline, I visited a school using MP where they had the entire Timeline up on view all the time. In fact, one teacher took me to her classroom and mentioned that they memorize all 3 years' worth of dates in one year and then do the book writing activity in the grade for which the date is introduced (so, they get all the dates 3 years in a row with the specific details for 11 dates a year). But they still make the students memorize them all. This teacher insisted that the kids were doing it well. I wouldn't have two different timelines, and I wouldn't force adding a card. Also, we have the whole timeline up (for 3rd grade) now. We don't add a card as we go along. I want her to see it now and always as it should be. Her flashcards are how she keeps track of the dates. Her writing in her Timeline composition book is how she will make it stick.
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
    5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
    MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Enbateau,
      Can you possibly post a picture of your timeline ? Putting the timeline up in advance sounds like the best organizational idea! Thank you for sharing it!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	15645791467562092834363822301367.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	114776
        Last edited by enbateau; 07-31-2019, 08:19 AM.
        Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
        MP1

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	15645790430056116151707760835542.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	114774
          Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
          MP1

Comment

Who else is coveting enbateau 's classroom and organizational skills?!

Bravo Mama!
            Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
            DS (MP3A) - 8
            DS (1) - 7
            DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Comment

Ohhhhhh , I see, thank you, Enbateau ! I have a similar set up in our schoolroom but I was trying to figure out how to use cork so that I could tack it up. What are you going to do in the following years ? Looks like you can't continue horizontally ? Are you moving your map and going vertically? I'm trying to work this out for future years too but maybe my large bulletin board will hold them all...? You have definately helped to set me up well for this year ! Thank you for the great idea to put it all together in advance and for sharing pics !
              And yes Melissa , that review box is covet worthy indeed! I got these small storage bins from staples that have dividers , they keep the cards nicely in order but not necessarily systematic . They now all at least have a place the fit in separately that can be shelved so I am happy about that! The clear pencil boxes are also nice for big ones like CS.

Comment

I'm probably going to permanently remove the BC and AD and readjust the whole ribbon higher so I can stack dates vertically on top of one another (staggered). That or I might make BC/AD smaller. I'm concerned about 4th grade because my world map is even larger. I know the math signs will go left and the grammar terms will come down. While I wanted the Timeline to be at eye level, I just don't have that space, and at the school I visited, the teacher had hers above her chalkboard.

MBentley (not sure if that is how you do that)
                Thanks. This is where the MP magic happens! Click image for larger version

Name:	15645899548441566532102242544231.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	114787
                Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
                MP1

Comment

What a lovely classroom!

Comment

Love it! Thank you for sharing with all of us and brainstorming with me!

Comment

That's a thing of beauty!
                      Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
                      DS (MP3A) - 8
                      DS (1) - 7
                      DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Comment

So, so pretty and bright. Must be a great place to work!

AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        2020-2021
                        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                        DS, 17
                        DD, 15
                        DD, 13
                        DD, 11
                        DD, 9
                        DD, 7
                        +DS+
                        DS, 2

Comment

enbateau Thank you! Your schoolroom is inspiring.
                          2019/20 School Year:
                          DS, age 9, grade 3
                          DD, age 7, grade 2
                          DD, age 5, grade K
                          DS, age 2
                          DS, infant

Comment

enbateau Wow! This is great!

Comment

enbateau You are AMAZING! I totally printed out these pictures to help me think it all through. It is so nice! I LOVE the way that you organized your flash cards! Why didn't I think of that?

Comment

Working...
                              X