No announcement yet.

R&S 3 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's an easier way to accomplish this array idea.

Picture a standard multiplication chart set up, numbers 1-10 across the top and down the left side, but instead of having the numbers filled in down below it's just one circle in place of the number. Then you take an index card and line it up next to each multiplicand. Say, 9*3. So you put one index card vertically next to 9 on top and below 3 horizontally. Ta-da, you now see 3 sets 9.

Wouldnt this accomplish the same thing without using a whole wall and eliminating the confusing sea creatures?
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
      Here's an easier way to accomplish this array idea.

Picture a standard multiplication chart set up, numbers 1-10 across the top and down the left side, but instead of having the numbers filled in down below it's just one circle in place of the number. Then you take an index card and line it up next to each multiplicand. Say, 9*3. So you put one index card vertically next to 9 on top and below 3 horizontally. Ta-da, you now see 3 sets 9.

Wouldnt this accomplish the same thing without using a whole wall and eliminating the confusing sea creatures?
      Yes! That is why I do not understand why they chose multiple animals!
      Christine

(2022/2023)
      DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
      DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Just to add, the purpose of the pdf shared on the Simply Classical post is to avoid making a wall chart. I print them on standard paper and laminate them, so they are small and easy to use at the dining table. I can see the value of showing the array and trust R&S in their visuals. There are a lot of pages, but you're only working from one at a time.

I agree, it may not be necessary, but I've learned the hard way to follow the teacher manual to avoid dealing with gaps in understanding later.

-Laura
        2019-2020
        DD8, MP3/SC5-6
        DD6, MP1
        DD5, MPK

Comment

Working...
        X