2nd grade enrichment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd grade enrichment

What resources are needed to go along with the 2nd grade enrichment? I am assuming there is a book list I can use to get things from the library. But are there art and music resources on MP that need to be purchased? Thanks!

There is a book list for read alouds and science/supplemental readers with clickable links to each book in its specific iteration (Author, ISBN).

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/second/

You would also need the Rod & Staff Patterns of Nature set, Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans, Second Grade Art Cards, and the K-2 Music Enrichment book that has a great teaching lesson for listening along with composer biography.

We just finished MP2 last year and it was amazing! We wound up buying all of the supplemental books because they were hard to find at our local library (the read alouds are easier to find). If you order the Enrichment manual, all of the books are ordered and given wonderful discussion questions and notes.
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

Comment

thank you so much We do Literature with my olders from MP, will be doing logic this year with my 14 yo, and the JR K with my 4 yo. Looking at the enrichment for my 2nd grader, because she always wants something "more" to do....and this kind of "more" seems the best way to go.

Comment

You will likely find that several in your family enjoy participating in the enrichment with your 2nd grader. Patterns of Nature and Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans pair nicely with several of the Read Alouds though they were actually added to the curriculum to give students practice with expository reading. When you see either title scheduled, which may not be every week, be sure to allow your student to read part of the material with you finishing the section when she becomes fatigued. Enrichment is such a delight to teach and the students love it as well!

Comment

My 2nd grader is a very hesitant reader. I am hoping that the enrichment selections will help her to move forward in confidence.

Comment

is the read aloud set part of the enrichment? or is that part of the core curriculum?

Comment

There is always a period of time before a reader "takes off" that you wonder if it will ever happen. With purposeful daily practice as I outlined in the previous post her confidence will build. Daily practice is the only way to get over this place in development.

Most of the Enrichment is intended to be parent read, save Patterns of Nature and Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans in the second grade. The Read Aloud sets, which are tied to the enrichment but not included in the Core Curriculum price, are on the student's listening level. By hearing the stories read aloud to them students are exposed to advanced sentence structure and elevated vocabulary. The classic titles provide a plethora of discussion starters from both the text and pictures. Once the student has been through the books as a listener we suggest they work their way through as readers. This is usually the following year or two and isn't scheduled within the curriculum but is suggested. I wouldn't expect your child to read from these books this year.

We do teach reading from literature books beginning at the first grade. This is a different set designated as literature and is an included part of the Core Curriculum.

Comment

ok, thank you for the information. I look forward to cuddling the new baby and doing lots of reading aloud to who ever will sit still and listen

Comment

Working...
                X