Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Third Time Really the Charm?

Hi Everyone...

There is a lot I can say about the last few years...My oldest son has graduated, and I still have my younger two boys at home (currently 13 and 14)...I also work part time in a bakery...We are still homeschooling, and we are doing a MP Core next school year...This will be my third time doing MP...

We spent the last few years doing Charlotte Mason...I had joined a local group that met one day a week for lessons, then we did follow up and other reading at home...I had consultations to come up with a plan for each of my boys (before my oldest graduated), and bought tons of books for them to read and narrate back to me, either orally or in writing...I read CM's Volume One and part of Volume Six with a study group...I have a decent understanding of the CM method, and the mom who runs the group I use to belong to is doing a wonderful job with her homeschool - it is just not working for us...I gave it a few years because I invested a lot of money on books and supplies and I really wanted it to work out...At least I have a decent home library now ;-)

After reading CM's own words and trying out the method, I discovered that I agree with some of what she says, and disagree with other things...The things that I disagree with I just can't get past...For anyone who is interested, I will discuss it a bit...

- Narration after just one reading: My boys struggled with this...The idea is that you should be able to give your full attention and be able to recall great detail after hearing or reading something once...You do not re read or revisit material that you have read...You narrate immediately after reading and are expected to retain that information going foreward...

- Teachers are not to ask questions or "get in the way" of the book: I struggled with this...The thinking is that the Holy Spirit is the true teacher of your child, and your child will get what he/she needs from the book without you asking questions or putting your thoughts out there in the way of discussions...Your child tells you what is important about the reading...Your job is not to "teach" but to "guide" towards learning...

- Too many subjects/moving parts: We all struggled with this...You can be expected to cover close to and sometimes beyond twenty subjects at one time...Short lessons (15 - 20 mins is the time slot for most lessons, a few may last half hour), with some lessons only lasting 5 - 10 minutes...Most subjects are only done once a week...So we would do a picture study, read a book for 10 mins, read a different book for 10 mins, do math, read another book or have a lesson for another 10 mins, etc....Too much for me to plan and keep track of...Most days it was a bunch of reading without any actual formal lessons because it was just too much to plan out...

- Too much reading/learning required about the CM method to feel like you can do it justice: I don't have any more time to devote to learning a method in order to feel successful...I would rather spend my time reading the books my boys are reading instead of trying to learn how to implement CM...My boys will be grown before I read all six of those volumes and figure out how to put it into practice to get the results we all want and need...

I don't regret trying out CM - it was always on my mind and a source of struggle for me the last time I tried to do MP...I guess I needed to go down that road...The bottom line is that I need structure and confidence...My boys need structure and confidence...With me working part time, doing a full MP core is going to be harder than it has ever been, but we have already started doing prerequisite work to prepare for the fall and I have already bought our materials so there is no turning back...I am afraid and nervous, but hopeful at the same time...

Is the third time really the charm?

Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
    DS -18 (9/4/00) Graduated from homeschool
    DS -14 (9/9/04)
    DS -13 (7/3/06)

TAHARA!!!! Welcome back!!!! (Not yelling - squealing with excitement!)

I am so happy to hear from you and have you show up back on the Forum! What an interesting path you have had for the last couple of years. I am positive your experience is going to be helpful to others - there鈥檚 always a lot of CM talk around. . And you are right - sometimes you just have to go down that road a bit to see if it鈥檚 for you.

But I am excited for you to start again with MP - both for the sake of your boys, but more so to have you hanging around here again!

Hugs, and prayers, friend!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 7.5
    DD, 5.5
    +DS+
    DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by The Autumn Oak View Post

- Narration after just one reading: My boys struggled with this...The idea is that you should be able to give your full attention and be able to recall great detail after hearing or reading something once...You do not re read or revisit material that you have read...You narrate immediately after reading and are expected to retain that information going foreward...

- Teachers are not to ask questions or "get in the way" of the book: I struggled with this...The thinking is that the Holy Spirit is the true teacher of your child, and your child will get what he/she needs from the book without you asking questions or putting your thoughts out there in the way of discussions...Your child tells you what is important about the reading...Your job is not to "teach" but to "guide" towards learning...
      Wow. That would not have worked for my sons either - maybe one of them? The other 2, not so much. It would have been a total fail. I loved the "forced" re-reading for most subjects in MP - at least that is how 3M is set up. I loved the teacher interrupted questions. For that matter, I love the new Flashcard box. It forces the kids to be exposed again and again so that it goes from short to long term memory. It's kind of new. I created it for my older kids based on the guidelines in the CM and decided to do the same for my K kiddo too. We create information on a flash chard for a few subjects throughout the week - even one for Vocabulary. He loves it! Of course, we are only 2 weeks in. I'm starting early because I always get behind.

Welcome back Mama!
      Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
      DS (MP2) - 7/8
      DS (K) - 6
      DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Welcome back, Tahara! We have missed you! I was thinking about you the other day in fact. We are just coming off our conference, and for some reason, I was reminded of the time Cheryl Lowe was speaking and trying to remember the name of a book she wanted to reference. You reached into your bag, pulled a book out, and said, "Is this it?" And she said, "Yes! That's it!" It was like a miracle that you were carrying that book around at that moment.

We welcome you back because we are glad you are coming back to MP books, but also because you are such a bright presence on this forum!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
          I was reminded of the time Cheryl Lowe was speaking and trying to remember the name of a book she wanted to reference. You reached into your bag, pulled a book out, and said, "Is this it?" And she said, "Yes! That's it!" It was like a miracle that you were carrying that book around at that moment.
          Haha, I remember that!...It was "Educational Wastelands" by Arthur Bestor...

Thank you all for being so welcoming of us 馃槉...The boys have been working together and will both be doing the 8th Grade Core...We will need to sub with First Form Latin and the first two or three stages of Classical Composition depending on how well they do with it...If they struggle with it, we will do only Fable and Narrative...If they do okay, we will spend several weeks on each one and try to get to Chreia/Maxim for the last half of the year...They will also do Novare Earth Science...For math, they will continue with "The Great Courses" since they already started it and need a little more help before moving on to Algebra I...

Just typing that out made me feel so much better...I have a clear plan, instead of a plan to do more planning...I was looking at the lesson plans for Literature when my sons came by and saw me...My youngest said, "Is that our school plans?...Is that the one that tells us what to do everyday?"...I told him yes...He smiled and looked so relieved...Glad to be back...
          Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
          DS -18 (9/4/00) Graduated from homeschool
          DS -14 (9/9/04)
          DS -13 (7/3/06)

Comment

That sounds like an awesome plan!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
            DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
            DS, 16
            DD, 14
            DD, 12
            DD, 10
            DD, 7.5
            DD, 5.5
            +DS+
            DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by The Autumn Oak View Post
              I have a clear plan, instead of a plan to do more planning...I was looking at the lesson plans for Literature when my sons came by and saw me...My youngest said, "Is that our school plans?...Is that the one that tells us what to do everyday?"...I told him yes...He smiled and looked so relieved...Glad to be back...
              I'm not sure if it's the third time that takes , but I very much related to your initial post about going between CM and MP and coming to a reckoning. We have swayed back and forth between those approaches for the last five years. My oldest, nearly 14, has language processing issues so doing CM style read-alouds and narrations were beyond frustrating for her. My next oldest could be the "poster child" for CM as she listens quite well and loves to talk, but writing anything down is akin to torture to her and she needs the discipline of a more structured curriculum. My oldest daughter is happy that so many of the resources she has for next year are MP and my other daughters are coming to appreciate that there is a wonderful sense of mission when Mom has a plan with a few optimal resources instead of pages of book lists.

Wishing you a wonderful academic year!

Laura

Laura H.

DD: 14, special-needs (modified 7M Core)
              DD: 11
              DD: 6
              DD: 6

Comment

Welcome back, friend! I just sent you a PM about First Form.
                Festina lent膿,
                Jessica P

SY2019-2020 路 8th MP Year
                @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                S 路 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                D 路 8th
                D 路 5th
                S 路 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

In a word, yes, 3rd time is the charm. I've missed you, my friend. I have thought about you and proyed for you and your family over the years. I am so glad to see you back!
                  The Homeschool Grads:
                  J- 6/96
                  S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                  G- 4/04
                  D- 5/05
                  F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                  M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
                  X