Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickandgrin
    replied
    My daughters are getting through their final week of school here by daydreaming and researching what planners they need for next year. They aren't in a static core and have to write down assignments from cottage school, online, and home, plus extracurriculars. So we all do what we have to do, right? I'm not above bribing with planners.

Leave a comment:

• MBentley
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
    Confession: at some point I have to admit that I start planning the following school year just to escape dealing with the current year. You know, the dream of great things as yet unspoiled by fallen human nature! Seriously, though, planning is a ton of work to be done alongside the routine school work, but it's fun work - more fun than keeping my nose to the grindstone...
    Yikes...me too. just received next years curriculum....but only in the early week 20's...for this one.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Bee
    replied
    Confession: at some point I have to admit that I start planning the following school year just to escape dealing with the current year. You know, the dream of great things as yet unspoiled by fallen human nature! Seriously, though, planning is a ton of work to be done alongside the routine school work, but it's fun work - more fun than keeping my nose to the grindstone...

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied
    Yes - it is SO MUCH about internal motivation! She has enough excess ability to bottle it up and sell it, but it’s gotta be her decision to use it!

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Arrowmama
    replied
    That is very encouraging! Thank you. I see my teen getting better at it, but she has a ways to go. It looks like more time and maturity will help. Though, when she needs to be somewhere she wants to be, or the task will result in something she is passionate about, she is very on top of things. Otherwise...eh.

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    Arrowmama ,

I have a teen who just up until the beginning of last year had to be sitting right next to me to keep on task. She, too, has a beautiful heart and was not trying to be unproductive, it would just sort of happen. And then - wonder of all wonders - she morphed into a very driven young thing that now only has a day like that now and then (such as yesterday!). But yes, despite the ability to do their work, they definitely still need accountability!!!

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied
    Arrowmama ,

I have a teen who just up until the beginning of last year had to be sitting right next to me to keep on task. She, too, has a beautiful heart and was not trying to be unproductive, it would just sort of happen. And then - wonder of all wonders - she morphed into a very driven young thing that now only has a day like that now and then (such as yesterday!). But yes, despite the ability to do their work, they definitely still need accountability!!!

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Arrowmama
    replied
    My confession...I didn’t involve myself in much of my 10th grader’s subjects, and a month ago discovered she was dangerously behind in a few courses. With free time created by the quarantine, she swiftly caught up, but I realized I had foolishly thought I could be “hands off”. Everyone says high school is “all independent work”. I won’t misconstrue that again, and I won’t abandon her like I’ve done. She is still a young teen who needs guidance and accountability. There are teens that don’t, but there is nothing wrong with her because she isn’t that teen. She is creative, loving and sweet, with a natural patience I wish to borrow from often.

My youngest turned 2, causing a major struggle with my focus, but thankfully my 9 yo finally wants to do much of her work independently. She insisted I was hands on for everything until recently. I started making her a list of all the work we need to do together and all the work she could do alone, for the following day. She wakes up before me (early riser/not inherited from me) and starts her list. When I can teach, we work on our “together” list. When my toddler needs me, she goes back to her solo list. She is now done with all her 3A work by lunch. It’s all fine and dandy when there’s nowhere to be all day, but we are definitely a work in progress!
    Last edited by Arrowmama; 04-28-2020, 01:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Arrowmama
    replied
    Amen, Tanya! With His grace and love, we can finish strong! I also pray for the students, teachers and parents thrown into this now.

Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Spring fever! Even in the classrooms in a normal year, we fight it. Oh, the temptation to sit outside and read our literature chapter. And oh, the failure when we come back in and no one knows what they have read! Stand tall, mom teachers, and finish strong! I think the first half of next year is going to be a wash for these poor students who have been sent home with computers and non-academic work. Think how difficult it is going to be to begin where they should in the fall. I feel for the teachers. But you have chosen another path. And right now, you can move forward in your lives without interruption, without change, without chaos. You know what you need to do, and you get to continue doing it. And when you are finished, you can relax, knowing that your work is well done, and your students are prepared for their next school year. You are the ones with the advantage here because you have chosen freely to homeschool. You are not among the stressed out parents I keep hearing about who are "forced to homeschool. I didn't sign on for this." You did sign on for this, and you are almost at the finish line for the year! So take courage, and keep moving forward. You can do it!

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• MBentley
    replied

You've just got to call it extemporaneous, unplanned nature study! Embrace it
    But of course I hear you... a child's mind is just wired to get the most out of any minimal distraction!
    I said I put their backs to the window....
    Not mine! I'm still enjoying the show.

I know. Bad bad Mama....

Leave a comment:

• Fwm23
    replied
    We have a feeder too. Ours is right outside the dinning room window.....it can make for a very long breakfast..... I do call it nature study we even have these great backyard bird cards hung accross the window a card for each bird we've seen.

I hear you on distractions though....the very loved 1 yr old and the very noisy 4 yr old make for many long days I have 1 who spent about 20 minutes " finding her place" in her Bible reading this morning. And she had a bookmark! We are hitting "keep your mind trained where you want it to be" very hard this spring and so far its just getting worse and not just in school! Ahhhhh........

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

We have one too, placed by the window exactly so we could see the birds!! I felt like it didn't make sense otherwise: they don't really need our help in feeding themselves, we just wanted to see them My favorite are the cardinals coming in couples, "husband" and "wife"! The squirrels... oh boy! I find them cute, but they're greedy, and we finally bought a squirrel baffle: it gave us so many guilty laughs to see them try to beat it! They gave up quickly.
    We don't really have space on ours for a baffle since it's mounted on a deck railing, but we have been known to occasionally spray the metal arm that holds the feeder house with PAM. Now THAT is funny to watch!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by MBentley View Post

Me neither. I have to put the kids' desks such that their backs are to the windows. Otherwise, a stray bluejay, cardinal, or squirrel can derail my lesson fast.
    You've just got to call it extemporaneous, unplanned nature study! Embrace it
    But of course I hear you... a child's mind is just wired to get the most out of any minimal distraction!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    I have a big time love/hate with the bird feeder right outside our school window. Mostly love, though. Haha! Our squirrels are particularly committed to doing hilarious Cirque du Soliel level distractions from roughly 8 to 1 pm each day.
    We have one too, placed by the window exactly so we could see the birds!! I felt like it didn't make sense otherwise: they don't really need our help in feeding themselves, we just wanted to see them My favorite are the cardinals coming in couples, "husband" and "wife"! The squirrels... oh boy! I find them cute, but they're greedy, and we finally bought a squirrel baffle: it gave us so many guilty laughs to see them try to beat it! They gave up quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied
    We are also trying to finish strong and maybe work more this summer so that we are free to enjoy things when they open back up. Still, the doubts always come up this time of year similar to what Sarah said. Usually, all it takes is a field trip when the school groups have descended on a location to remind us of a big reason we homeschool. As for virtual museum tours, we spend too much time online for that to be fun.

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    I have a big time love/hate with the bird feeder right outside our school window. Mostly love, though. Haha! Our squirrels are particularly committed to doing hilarious Cirque du Soliel level distractions from roughly 8 to 1 pm each day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X