An "aha" math moment...for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An "aha" math moment...for me

We've used a lot, and I mean, A LOT, of math curriculum over the years; my oldest is in third now and I feel like we've tried almost everything. Last year, one of the myriad curricula we tried was R&S 2. We did the 10, 11, and 12 fact families before we quit. She found it beyond boring. Every day was an absolute fight to get her to finish her worksheet. She thought it was too much review and repetition; I thought it was too memorization heavy. My father in law is a professional engineer and made noises that R understood more about math than the worksheets were allowing her to display (even though he admitted that as a mathematics professor at West Point, the thing holding students back the most was a lack of math facts knowledge). Anyway, we moved back to Singapore. I know that a lot of people have great success with Singapore; I'm not one of those people. We bounced around again.

We started this year early, and I started my third grader with Strayer Upton and Beast Academy. Just in four days it has become readily apparent that she doesn't have her math facts memorized. "Come, on, R, what's 13 - 4?" Cue tears from the third grader and a wail of, "I don't KNOW!!! We only memorized through 12 last year!" Me: stunned silence. She's absolutely right; it's not at all her fault she doesn't know 13 - 4. She can figure it out by thinking of the 13 as a 10 and a 3, taking 4 from the 10, having 6 left over, and the 3 still left, and adding those to get the answer of 9. Which is, I think, a good way to be able to manipulate numbers. But isn't doing her much help right now.

I went to the local used homeschool shop today, and I finally got to see the fourth grade R&S book and it blew me away. So very different from grades 1 - 3. Application and "thinking" now with all the stuff you've memorized for three years. Seeing my poor third grader so ready and eager to learn multiplication but still having to calculate 13 - 4 made me feel bad for how we've hopscotched around; we are getting R&S 3 for her even if she thinks it's mind-numbingly dull because she needs that repetition. I had just straight up forgotten how hard, and boring, it is to memorize math facts. Not fun like songs, or cute like poems, or full of interesting words like Bible verses or new sounds like Latin. I remember doing multiplication flashcards and detesting it; but wow do I still know my multiplication facts! I don't remember memorizing my addition and subtraction facts, much in the same way I don't remember learning how to use a spoon, but I'm sure both projects were messy and frustrating to my mom! I finally feel confident enough to follow through with this. And we will continue to work slowly on Beast Academy just for fun.

So, for my Kindergartener (she's on a first grade math level), I was able to find the second R&S Grade 1 student book and the speed drills and the teacher manual and that's what she will be doing this year. Setting ourselves up for future success!

Just wanted to share :-)
    Ora et Labora!
    Emily

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2020-2021
    DD (age 9): 4NU
    DD (age 7): MP 1
    DS (age 4): MP Jr. K
    "I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light. For a time, I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." Wendell Berry

MMmmm, hmmm. Yep. Preach.
    Mama to 2

Summer:
    MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
    SY 20/21
    4A

Comment

I'm curious if your first round through R&S 2 if you did anything in the teacher's manual or mostly used the workbook? (no judgement - I did NOT use the teacher's manual the first round and was like - WHAT are we doing - this is terrible math - but we only did the workbook. 1/2 the work is really in the teacher's manual, I have found. Oh and also in the thousand pages of backlines. I moved to Singapore as well and thought "wow, R&S really is missing ALL This". Then I cracked open the teacher's manual and looked more throughly at the backlines. *Facepalm* - it's RIGHT there..right there.....And yes, we are moving onto 4th grade next year and I was blown away by the layout as well.
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
        I'm curious if your first round through R&S 2 if you did anything in the teacher's manual or mostly used the workbook? (no judgement - I did NOT use the teacher's manual the first round and was like - WHAT are we doing - this is terrible math - but we only did the workbook. 1/2 the work is really in the teacher's manual, I have found. Oh and also in the thousand pages of backlines. I moved to Singapore as well and thought "wow, R&S really is missing ALL This". Then I cracked open the teacher's manual and looked more throughly at the backlines. *Facepalm* - it's RIGHT there..right there.....And yes, we are moving onto 4th grade next year and I was blown away by the layout as well.
        We did some from the textbook, and I admit that despite fumbling around with the boats and clovers and wondering what point they were, I did like the board and oral exercises in the textbook.

I don't have the blacklines for third grade oops.
        Ora et Labora!
        Emily

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2020-2021
        DD (age 9): 4NU
        DD (age 7): MP 1
        DS (age 4): MP Jr. K
        "I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light. For a time, I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." Wendell Berry

Comment

howiecram Sheesh...me too. I got into the very bad habit of letting them do the worksheets and not cracking open the teacher manual. Those first few lessons made me sort of cringe. Now....crack it open to lesson 130, and that's a different story completely. I should have been more diligent myself. There was an entire interactive component that wasn't even painful and it only took a few minutes. Those few minutes over several months add up! So here is me...sheepishly backtracking through R&S 2 while we finish out the year (we aren't done) to get back all of that enriching math interaction.

I promise never again to neglect the R&S TM.
          Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
          DS (MP2) - 7/8
          DS (K) - 6
          DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Loving this! Not the frustration, confusion, and hopping around part...wish we could prevent that for everyone! But yes, so wonderful to finally “get it.” So happy for you!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 16
            DD, 14
            DD, 12
            DD, 10
            DD, 8
            DD, 6
            +DS+