Cursive requirement outside of Copybook and NAC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cursive requirement outside of Copybook and NAC

We were a little late to the cursive game (2nd rather than 1st). For 3rd, we are doing NAC 2, but I am also doing half of Copybook Cursive 2 (as it ties with the weekly scripture perfectly), along with the extra cursive practice sheets.

My question is, what about everything else? What about the Lit guides, the student workbooks (Timeline, EGR, Greek Myths)? Does HLS require the kids to use cursive in every subject from this point forward?

Outside of HLS, when do you guys require cursive, if ever? While I love that the kids are learning it, my question is whether or not to insist that their work be in cursive, regardless of the subject. When you formulate their answers on the board for copying into the guides, are you guys writing in cursive? I haven't been.

My initial thought is that it might be a bridge to far, adding an extra element to every course. My second thought is that it's the next logical expectation. Just curious what all of you have done.
    Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
    DS (MP2) - 7/8
    DS (K) - 6
    DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

We switch over once they have finished the lesson books of it...so after all of NAC, basically. Usually it's not an issue because they realize for themselves that cursive is faster. I have had one or two who resisted, and for whom I had to stress it more.

We do it gradually for the first year, but then say that it has to be "all cursive" after the second year. So they learn it in first and second, transition over in third, and by fourth I expect it to all be in cursive.

And then by sixth I am usually complaining that they have gotten sloppy so they have use the Teach Yourself Cursive for a refresher on how to be neat. !!!

AMDG,
    Sarah

2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 7.5
    DD, 5.5
    +DS+
    DS, 18 months

Comment

I found that by requiring cursive in all subjects by the time Traditional Spelling 2 did its switch really cemented it for my eldest. She practically begged to print, but I could tell it was because she hadn't mastered it yet. Requiring writing prompts (from MP2 Enrichment), cooybook, literature guide answers, spelling words (even on tests), and Latin to be in cursive did the trick. For MP3, all work will be required to be in cursive or she'll have to redo it. And lest you think because she is a girl that it somehow came easier, this is my child for whom copying 8 words in 1st grade could take 45 min. She hated writing that much. Once she truly acquired the skill, she stopped fighting. And it took a couple of times making her rewrite her work in cursive to figure out it was non-negotiable.
      Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
      DD 8-3A
      DS 5-SC C

Comment

Hello.

At HLS, our students transition to cursive in 2nd grade, and all of their work is completed in cursive from then on. At the beginning of 2nd grade, all their written work is in cursive except for spelling tests. We give them 6 weeks to use manuscript on spelling tests, but after that, cursive is required there too.

Tanya

Comment

....and there was wailing, and gnashing of teeth.....

I made the boys give this a try in a subject outside of penmanship today (which they've loved so far until now). I needed a "moment" after that.

It's probably good to transition in the last 7 weeks of this year's curriculum so that it's not all crazy at one time. Thank you all for giving me a better idea. It does help a great deal.
          Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
          DS (MP2) - 7/8
          DS (K) - 6
          DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Working...
          X