Handwriting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handwriting

Has anyone used just the handwriting portion of the curriculum? My son is in a co-op for first grade and they choose all curriculum for us except the handwriting. Handwriting we choose on our own. My daughter does simply classical and I love the layout of that and I think the handwriting samples look great for where my son would be at for first grade. I just wasn’t sure if it worked well as a stand alone. Thank you for any thoughts and tips!

We did before and it was fine! No need for the lesson plans if you are comfortable assigning the amount of work. First grade, at least with the traditional curriculum, is cursive; so when we were doing just that portion of MP it didn't correlate well for us since absolutely everything else she was seeing and writing was print.
    DD1: Third grade: reading, spelling, piano, and art along with MP Mammals, Lit Guides, LC yr 1, and R&S 3 so we are ready for 4NU next year
    DD2: MP Kindergarten
    DS 1: MP Preschool package
    Me: Autoimmune Protocol athlete who loves chai tea with coconut milk, a good book, and the mountains

Comment

Simply Classical 1 starts with a copybook where the student prints, and the tracing is more solid (not dotted). MP1 has a manuscript copybook with printing plus New American Cursive (NAC) 1. We loved the NAC books. A Copybook along with New American Cursive 1 would be a wonderful way to approach handwriting. My daughter loved the low-stakes approach to copying and penmanship. FWIW, we did cursive starting in Kindergarten for my eldest, and it wasn't confusing to her at all. In fact, for children with difficulty in writing, the guaranteed spacing with connected letters, not having to pick up your pencil so much, (and at least in our curriculum) all the letters starting on the baseline really helped with legibility and ease of word formation.
      Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
      DD 8-3A
      DS 5-SC C

Comment

Originally posted by CourtneyL View Post
        Has anyone used just the handwriting portion of the curriculum? My son is in a co-op for first grade and they choose all curriculum for us except the handwriting. Handwriting we choose on our own. My daughter does simply classical and I love the layout of that and I think the handwriting samples look great for where my son would be at for first grade. I just wasn’t sure if it worked well as a stand alone. Thank you for any thoughts and tips!
        Good evening Courtney,

Are you interested in manuscript or cursive? If the latter, I just want to second Fireweed Prep in saying that New American Cursive (and the Cursive Practice Sheets) can be used independently of the rest of our curriculum. The same is true of our copybooks, with the caveat that the Copybook Cursive series uses the NAC font (as do the cursive Simply Classical Copybooks.)

HTH!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
        X