2nd Form Latin Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Form Latin Question

My kids have out-paced me in Latin and I am struggling to know if some of their translations are wrong or just an alternate but still correct answer.

In lesson 3 on worksheet 4 my son was given " Dominus aeger puerum pigrum exspectavit." and the answer is supposed to be "The sick lord waited for the lazy boy" but he wrote "The lazy boy expected a sick master."

Is this an acceptable translation and if not, please help me explain to him where he went wrong.

Thanks!

Hello! The subject and modifier have to be "sick lord/master" because these words are in the nominative case. "Lazy boy" must be the direct object and modifier because these words are in the accusative case. A good strategy is to have him locate the two nouns (dominus & puerum) and have him identify the gender, number, case of each. The cases will tell him his answer and he might catch his mistake on his own through this process. Each noun has an adjective modifier that agrees with it in gender, number, case. I'm working through Second Form myself right now and I can't overstate the value in parsing every single word and phrase in the sentences. It's slow, but it's worth it.

Hope this helps!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

PS-My two oldest have outpaced me, too. I think we are in good company here with many other parents!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
      @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
      D · 8th
      D · 5th
      S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
      X