Incoming Fifth Grader - New to MP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incoming Fifth Grader - New to MP

I'm working my way through the grade 5 core and have a few questions about how the curriculum works with a new user.

(1) The first 2 weeks of Composition have the student reviewing Fable before beginning Narrative. I don't own Fable since this is our first year...what should I do for these first 2 weeks?

(2) Geography includes a review of U.S. states and capitals. Now, my son should know these from learning them in Classical Conversations (2 times through Cycle 3); however, my experience with the CC memory work is that he has not retained it well. I'm wondering if I will need to adjust the schedule for the U.S. review to take into consideration that he may not have these states & capitals down well...maybe having him do the section multiple times through the week rather than just one day?

(3) Are the books listed for American Studies and scheduled for reading on Mondays meant to be read aloud by the teacher? The student? Or just assigned reading the student does on his own?

(4) Fifth Grade Recitation: I LOVE the idea of beginning our day with Recitation& Prayer (we've always had "Morning Time" in the past, but most of those components will now be spread throughout the day & my children will be studying separate things, so MT won't work for science, history, etc.). When I look at the Fifth Grade Recitation list in the back of the CM, I know that my son will not know the answers to many of these questions because he has not been using MP in prior years. So do I teach him the answers first? Only use the questions that pertain to information he has already learned? I'm also wondering if there are flashcards for the recitation questions anywhere? I could see using a review box setup for these (and for my first grader). My understanding is that this recitation time is separate from the recitations that would begin each subject through the day (e.g., Latin, English Grammar). Is this correct?

Thank you! I'm so grateful for this forum and the wonderful help you all provide!
    DS, 11 (MP 7M)
    DD, 8 (MP 3M)
    DD, 5 (MP K)
    DS, almost 1! (chewing on books and knocking stuff over)

1. You should not start Classical Composition with narrative. You start at Fable. For new 5th graders can get a set of plans that do Fable half year and Narrative the other half. Then you are on track in 6th

2. The US review does a good job of reviewing and drilling all the states, capitals and location. Since your student has learned this but probably not remembered much, this can still be a good fit and will solidify the information so they will hopefully remember it later. Do plans as written and you will be fine.

3. Meant to be read alouds but many families have the child read it himself. Or skip them. They are extra. Nice, but extra.

4. 5th grade recitation is based on info learned in 3rd-4th. If you are completely skipping books like Greek Myths then just skip those questions or tell him the answer and work on memorizing. Keep in mind- recitation answers are meant to be given to the student then drilled into memory. It will be harder to memorize if you didn’t previously study the material. Just adjust the recitation to fit your needs. I would string encourage you to have your student at least read through the Greek Myths as that information is assumed in future grades and builds in it. Same with Christian Studies 1. Skipping the 3-4th science isn’t a big deal and you are already reviewing US geography in geography 1 so you are good to go there.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 21, Physics and math major
    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

momgineer Thank you for your response. When I ordered the grade 5 core, the customer service rep suggested I start with Narrative & explained that the sequence needed to be followed in order from that point, but that Fable could be skipped. My son has had 2 years of IEW, so I feel good about Narrative. Just wondering if we should not start composition until Narrative picks up in the guide, or if there is something I could do for those 2 weeks?

Thank you for the info on U.S. geography & American read alouds!

We actually did Greek Myths last year, so we're good there. Customer Service also said I should just start with Christian Studies II, so I will likely skip those questions from CS 1 or ask him the ones he should know from learning about them in Sunday School

I do regret that he is missing those early years of science (mainly Astronomy, as we did a non-MP mammal study last year)...hoping he may be able to squeeze that in when his sister hits it in few years!
      DS, 11 (MP 7M)
      DD, 8 (MP 3M)
      DD, 5 (MP K)

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
        1. You should not start Classical Composition with narrative. You start at Fable. For new 5th graders can get a set of plans that do Fable half year and Narrative the other half. Then you are on track in 6th
        Originally posted by ShaunaN View Post
        momgineer Thank you for your response. When I ordered the grade 5 core, the customer service rep suggested I start with Narrative & explained that the sequence needed to be followed in order from that point, but that Fable could be skipped. My son has had 2 years of IEW, so I feel good about Narrative. Just wondering if we should not start composition until Narrative picks up in the guide, or if there is something I could do for those 2 weeks?
        Good afternoon Shauna,

Momgineer is correct that a 5th grader should not skip Fable. Instead, that student can do Fable and Narrative at an accelerated pace.

I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication that occurred when you called and spoke with one of our representatives. If you can email [email protected] with your order number and/or the email associated with your account, we will make sure you get what you need.

P.S. Christian Studies I-III simply divide the Bible over three years, so starting with Christian Studies II is perfectly fine.

HTH!

Comment

Michael, thank you for the clarification. I'll send an email!
          DS, 11 (MP 7M)
          DD, 8 (MP 3M)
          DD, 5 (MP K)

Comment

Working...
          X