Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can’t switch to MP but looking to supplement from it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can’t switch to MP but looking to supplement from it?

    So here is my long story:
    We have been homeschooling from the beginning. My oldest will be in third grade for 2019-20 school year, next will be first grade, youngest is 3. I’ve had serious curriculum switching issues and posted a lot about this about six months ago. I was going to use MP but oldest wasn’t keen on Latin when we tried it out, and R & S Math was not the right thing for us. And then I was lured by all the pretty pictures in Sonlight/BookShark and purchased BookShark 1 and 3, history lit science and language arts, for the fall. I can’t return it and I made an agreement with my husband that I would not switch curriculum this year. He is being frustratingly steady haha and holding me to it, which I grudgingly admit is probably a good thing in the long run.

    But after a conversation with another homeschooling mom I looked again at MP and oh my. It really does have everything I want. How did I miss that in April???? So frustrated with myself.

    Anyway. I feel like I could add something from MP to our current set up (grumbles silently but respectfully at amazing and steadfast husband). Something that would lead us into MP for next year and as we work on diligence to following a syllabus and honestly completing a program.

    I see my options as Christian Studies, recitation, handwriting, literature studies and guides for either girl, or Latina Christiana for the third grade girl. Opinions and ideas please!

    I would also love to know if the talks from this year’s Sodalitas are available for purchase and download yet?
    DD1: Third grade
    DD2: First grade
    DS 1: preschool bibliophile
    Me: Autoimmune Protocol athlete who misses Alaska

    #2
    Where are the kiddos at reading/phonics levels? Have they completed a program or did they just "learn to read on their own?" I would not worry about math at all, except to say to find a program and stick with it. There will be gaps if you jump around. It all kind of evens out around the 6th grade, but jumping from program to program could create gaps.

    Your oldest could definitely do the first half of Christian Studies this year, from the 3rd grade curriculum guide. (Christian Studies 1 is completed over 2 years) Literature and latin would also set you up for being able to do 4th grade next year.

    There is also "4th grade for new users" that you could do next year and just do the literature guides this year. I think those are a really good introduction to how Memoria Press works.

    The Sodalitas videos take a little while to get through the editing process, I believe.
    Christine

    (2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

    Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by howiecram View Post
      Where are the kiddos at reading/phonics levels? Have they completed a program or did they just "learn to read on their own?" I would not worry about math at all, except to say to find a program and stick with it. There will be gaps if you jump around. It all kind of evens out around the 6th grade, but jumping from program to program could create gaps.

      Your oldest could definitely do the first half of Christian Studies this year, from the 3rd grade curriculum guide. (Christian Studies 1 is completed over 2 years) Literature and latin would also set you up for being able to do 4th grade next year.

      There is also "4th grade for new users" that you could do next year and just do the literature guides this year. I think those are a really good introduction to how Memoria Press works.

      The Sodalitas videos take a little while to get through the editing process, I believe.
      I have finally found a math I love and they will tolerate! The third grader is going to do Strayer Upton and Beast Academy with daily doses of flash cards. I was unreasonably excited when I finally decided on that lol.

      The third grader reads at a sixth a sixth grade level. The younger one is just on CVC words but catches on quick. I haven’t decided whether to make her do All About Reading or the phonics that comes with BookShark. She thinks AAR is torturous but I think it’s effective!

      I have seen the fourth for new users set and it looks well done. I like the idea though of spreading Latin and maybe Christian studies too over the recommended two years. If we do the third grade Lit Guides over next summer (we will have a long summer due to a cross country move) then we could go straight into normal fourth? I like that’s idea and hadn’t considered it!
      DD1: Third grade
      DD2: First grade
      DS 1: preschool bibliophile
      Me: Autoimmune Protocol athlete who misses Alaska

      Comment


        #4
        Regular 4th you would need to complete 1/2 of LC, Christian Studies, Greek Myths, States and Caps, EgR1. But, to not stress out, you could just do the 3rd Lit guides and then do 4th for new users next year! I would consider FSR for your first grader. Books A-C would mostly be review, but includes the writing of the words. Book D is blends and silent e.
        Christine

        (2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

        Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by howiecram View Post
          Regular 4th you would need to complete 1/2 of LC, Christian Studies, Greek Myths, States and Caps, EgR1. But, to not stress out, you could just do the 3rd Lit guides and then do 4th for new users next year! I would consider FSR for your first grader. Books A-C would mostly be review, but includes the writing of the words. Book D is blends and silent e.
          Oh ok thanks for the clarification! Yes it sounds like Lit guides and then fourth for new users is the right route for the third grader. Do you think the grade 1 Lit Guides would be good for the first grader to do? Once we work through either AAR or FSR (I will check that out). I really appreciate the help!
          DD1: Third grade
          DD2: First grade
          DS 1: preschool bibliophile
          Me: Autoimmune Protocol athlete who misses Alaska

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Fireweed Prep View Post

            Oh ok thanks for the clarification! Yes it sounds like Lit guides and then fourth for new users is the right route for the third grader. Do you think the grade 1 Lit Guides would be good for the first grader to do? Once we work through either AAR or FSR (I will check that out). I really appreciate the help!
            Yes! If you do AAR (I have used all 4 levels), to do the 1st grade lit guides, you really need to complete level 1 and 2. If you complete level 3m then 2nd grade would be good to start.
            Christine

            (2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

            Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by howiecram View Post

              Yes! If you do AAR (I have used all 4 levels), to do the 1st grade lit guides, you really need to complete level 1 and 2. If you complete level 3m then 2nd grade would be good to start.
              Fantastic thank you!
              DD1: Third grade
              DD2: First grade
              DS 1: preschool bibliophile
              Me: Autoimmune Protocol athlete who misses Alaska

              Comment


                #8
                I feel your pain. I was trying discreetly to do a massive purge of all the other curriculum books I have last weekend. Hubby is actually great though and gives me a lot of leeway as long as he can see results himself. However....sometimes I think he gives me leeway here so that I won't comment at his quirky spending on his hobby....

                To your question, I would look strongly at the things that would be considered "part 1" in 3rd so that if you do the switch next year for 4th, it's not that big a deal as you would continue with "part 2". What do I mean by that? A few years back, MP took a serious look at their 3rd grade curriculum - specifically, the classical studies (Latin, Christian Studies, English Grammar Recitation, Timeline, Greek Myths, and States and Capitals). In 3rd, the workload really ramps up compared to 2nd. It's one thing if you are teaching a class of 3rd graders, and that is the only thing you are teaching. It's quite another if you have multiple kids homeschooling. They found that it might be a good idea to split the Classical studies into 2 years (3rd and 4th). Parents have the option of doing the original plan (3A) if they choose. I've just got this lined out for myself for my rising 3rd grader. I'm very grateful they did this breakout. From one Sodalitas video I watched, the only thing it means the kid might miss out on is "MetaPhysics"....whatever that is, I don't know yet.

                It might be worth a phone call to them. They are very personable, and believe me, they will work hard to take care of you. I had to do several modifications/deletions/insertions in getting my kids lined out this year. They were very patient with me. i'm not sure what the exact rules are for substitutions but they were pretty amazing and I still got the package discount. Those package prices on the web have some flexibility in the customization. When you get it worked out, they send you a quote to your email with a link to finish it out. I'd give them a call and see what they could do.

                Anyways, If you could only pick one of those...I'd pick the Latin Christiana with it's complimentary Ludere Latina I set ($117 total...ish - but that's the "outside the package cost"...It's $76 within the package for the same things). If you haven't started Latin before, that's a nice one to start with - even at half the pace of the original design.

                Good luck Mama!
                Melissa

                DS (MP2) - 8
                DS (MP1) - 7
                DS (K) - 5
                DD (Adorable distraction) 2

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Fireweed Prep View Post
                  I would also love to know if the talks from this year’s Sodalitas are available for purchase and download yet?
                  Good afternoon,

                  We have so much footage from our conferences that it will take up to 3-4 months before we are able to release this year's videos. At least lots of footage is a good problem, right?

                  HTH!
                  Michael
                  Memoria Press

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by MBentley View Post
                    I feel your pain. I was trying discreetly to do a massive purge of all the other curriculum books I have last weekend. Hubby is actually great though and gives me a lot of leeway as long as he can see results himself. However....sometimes I think he gives me leeway here so that I won't comment at his quirky spending on his hobby....

                    To your question, I would look strongly at the things that would be considered "part 1" in 3rd so that if you do the switch next year for 4th, it's not that big a deal as you would continue with "part 2". What do I mean by that? A few years back, MP took a serious look at their 3rd grade curriculum - specifically, the classical studies (Latin, Christian Studies, English Grammar Recitation, Timeline, Greek Myths, and States and Capitals). In 3rd, the workload really ramps up compared to 2nd. It's one thing if you are teaching a class of 3rd graders, and that is the only thing you are teaching. It's quite another if you have multiple kids homeschooling. They found that it might be a good idea to split the Classical studies into 2 years (3rd and 4th). Parents have the option of doing the original plan (3A) if they choose. I've just got this lined out for myself for my rising 3rd grader. I'm very grateful they did this breakout. From one Sodalitas video I watched, the only thing it means the kid might miss out on is "MetaPhysics"....whatever that is, I don't know yet.

                    It might be worth a phone call to them. They are very personable, and believe me, they will work hard to take care of you. I had to do several modifications/deletions/insertions in getting my kids lined out this year. They were very patient with me. i'm not sure what the exact rules are for substitutions but they were pretty amazing and I still got the package discount. Those package prices on the web have some flexibility in the customization. When you get it worked out, they send you a quote to your email with a link to finish it out. I'd give them a call and see what they could do.

                    Anyways, If you could only pick one of those...I'd pick the Latin Christiana with it's complimentary Ludere Latina I set ($117 total...ish - but that's the "outside the package cost"...It's $76 within the package for the same things). If you haven't started Latin before, that's a nice one to start with - even at half the pace of the original design.

                    Good luck Mama!
                    I did call MP today; thanks for encouraging me to do that. The woman I talked with was incredibly helpful, and corroborated with what everyone on here has already said! I've now purchased Latina Christiana and Ludere Latina with the two year lesson plans. I took four years of Latin in high school so it won't be a huge lift for me, and, I enjoy Latin! I will get my older girl a few of the Lit Guides for later in the school year, or in the summer--we are starting school Monday and wrapping up in April due to a transcontinental move, so she will have time in the car and over the long summer to work on those! The MP representative also recommended that we get the D'Aulaire's Greek Myths book to let her read through casually just for fun, so that a real study of it with the 4th for new users isn't quite so overwhelming. Again, perfect car ride material!

                    For my younger daughter, I'm going to wait on any MP materials until we see what her reading level is around Christmas. It seems that MP expects pretty high levels of reading in the lower grades--which is fine. She won't even be six this year till the end of next month, so I'm ok just working with what we have and then putting her in first grade MP for the 2020 school year if that seems like it will be a better fit for her. She can always do 3A later on if she's getting bored!

                    All in all, I think I've successfully met my agreement with my husband while still lining us up for MP next year, and I'm feeling optimistic about it all!
                    DD1: Third grade
                    DD2: First grade
                    DS 1: preschool bibliophile
                    Me: Autoimmune Protocol athlete who misses Alaska

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Michael View Post

                      Good afternoon,

                      We have so much footage from our conferences that it will take up to 3-4 months before we are able to release this year's videos. At least lots of footage is a good problem, right?

                      HTH!
                      Lovely thanks! Looking forward to it.
                      DD1: Third grade
                      DD2: First grade
                      DS 1: preschool bibliophile
                      Me: Autoimmune Protocol athlete who misses Alaska

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Congrats on a good plan! So happy that it came together well for you!

                        AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                        DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                        DS, 16
                        DD, 14
                        DD, 12
                        DD, 10
                        DD, 7.5
                        DD, 5.5
                        +DS+
                        DS, 18 months

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X