Kindergarten supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindergarten supplements

Hello, I'm a new homeschooler and very excited to start my son on kindergarten curriculum this year. My question is regarding supplements. I see a science and enrichment package that seems hefty to add to K work load. I do not want him to be behind in MP 1st after we complete kindergarten if we opt out of science and enrichment set. Can anyone give any guidance on this and also possibly explain the difference in the enrichment that comes in the K curriculum set and enrichment in science set? Thank you for your time in reading and I am sorry if this question has already been asked. I tried finding it in previous thread and was unsuccessful.

Hi! I am planning to use the K curriculum this year for the first time as well. I have received my curriculum, and have looked through it, so maybe I can help a little. The kindergarten curriculum set comes with a music enrichment book, art cards, and a book of crafts. It also comes with a Kindergarten Enrichment Guide. The main kindergarten curriculum manual and the Enrichment Guide tell you what to do for the music, art, and crafts. Separately, there is a package of books you can purchase called the Read Aloud Set. This set includes the main read-aloud book for each week. You can buy this set or gather the books however you would like, buying individually or borrowing from the library. The plans for using these read-aloud books are included in the main curriculum manual and in the Enrichment Guide. They are meant to be an important part of the curriculum. Also separately, there is a package of books called the Supplemental Science and Enrichment set. This set of books includes non-fiction books about nature or science, or books about holidays. I believe they are meant to be a nice addition, but not essential. These books are noted in the main curriculum manual and the Enrichment Guide as a resource. It does not appear that a student would be behind at all in 1st if he didn't read these in K. I do see that some of the supplemental science books are used as resources again in first. I'm still figuring all this out myself, but I hope this helped a bit!
    DD5 - MP K

Comment

LoneStar,

That was a beautiful explanation. I couldn't have done it better! You have a good handle on our enrichment program, so thanks for sharing!

Tanya

Comment

Jessica,
        I love that MP has designed such a rich K curriculum, and I still wish it had been around when my oldest (18) was in K, so that I could have taken full advantage of everything there is to do with it. But since our fifth child was the first one to use it, I have yet to do the entire K curriculum as written! There is just not enough time in our days and weeks to include all the wonderful extras. I have usually been able to include up to the read aloud, and sometimes the science ones get pulled off the shelf too, but as a general rule, we do the bare bones basics from K and our kids have all still been ready to move on to First without missing a beat. The books are all fantastic, and I highly recommend them as a way of building your home library so that your kids have great books to read whenever they want (which also helps if you are not able to do them during “school” time) but you can rest assured that even if you follow just the “core of the core” your child will have a wonderful year of K and be well-prepared to move on.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 7.5
        DD, 5.5
        +DS+
        DS, 18 months

Comment

FWIW, my kids adore the Enrichment portion of MP: the read-aloud, art cards, and science readers. The science/holiday readers are pretty easy to find at the library. The read-alouds are not always so easy to find. That is why we wound up buying both. Now, my kids regularly pull one off the shelf and read it or ask to have it read.

I always figured if you read to your child 20 min/day anyway, why not make it the read aloud and science/ supplemental readers?
          Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
          DD 8-3A
          DS 5-SC C

Comment

I'm "all in" for enrichment.

I have 3 kids very close in age. Last year, I bought one enrichment package (1st) to cover all 3 kids. That did work pretty well for us, as it was our first year of MP. There were some weeks we didn't get all of the enrichment done. I flagged those weeks, and we are doing them over the summer. Also, since my 1st grader finished his literature well ahead of his brother, I have him re-reading the read aloud books to his younger brother and sister. The goal of the read aloud is that they are to be read more than once in the week (preferably 3 times) and there were several weeks we didn't accomplish that - summer re-reading is a great option because the kiddo's reading has improved so much that it's very doable on their own. The science and history ones are only scheduled once a week - however, it's important to know that there is some "overflow" between the grades. Some of the science and history books from K are rescheduled in 1st and 2nd grade as part of the topic supplement. It's worth having them all because you will likely use them again...and again.

There is a real distinction in the packages though - they are not as interchangeable between grades as I thought they were. My 5 year old didn't do so well with the 1st grade read aloud books - they were just a little too far ahead of him. I'm doing "K -part 2" - for my 5 year old. He has a Sept birthday, and he really needs another year in K before moving on. I'm doing a full on reset for him and we are going to do the K program as written in the guide (he wasn't exactly doing MP last year...more of a hodgepodge of stuff). I acquired the K enrichment program book by book through used book websites and over the summer, I'm slowly starting up his K program ahead of the others kids.

The K enrichment program is really perfect. He is engaged. He is actually getting through the entire book with me before zoning out. He's answering the questions. The books are a little shorter and a bit less wordy that the 1st grade set. The stories are "just right" for him. They are neither too simple, nor too complex, and simply engaging. The Guide....That Enrichment Guide is a thing of beauty. It is so thorough and gives you everything you need to really pull out the details of the books/art/poetry, etc. I love these guides so very much. I was so sad that they disappear for 3rd - granted, when you get to third....you need your own bookshelf just for the teacher guides and the bazillion flash cards so I shouldn't complain I don't have one more book.

Having done only one year of MP, I can't be considered an expert. I can only say that, looking back and knowing what I know now, I would choose the enrichment every time. And I have. I am so "all in" for enrichment now, that I bought K, 2nd, and 3rd. I tentatively plan to do all 3 for all of the kids as prescribed by their grade level. I know for a fact that I will miss some of it and I'm truly ok with it. I'd rather miss a bit, or do some of it over the summer, than miss out on it. It was "that big a deal" for us. It was truly their favorite part. Face it, there's not a lot of fun learning penmanship, practicing math problems, or working through phonics. It's necessary...but I can't call it "fun". Enrichment is "fun", "pretty", "silly", "beautiful", "interesting", and "thought-provoking".... It really does put the real beauty and polish into the program. It's the part they love when they remember the day.

Good luck Mama!

Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
            DS (MP2) - 7/8
            DS (K) - 6
            DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Things have changed a bit over the years, but this fall I am starting my third child through Memoria Press Kindergarten and still to this day the Enrichment is our favorite part. As you can see, what I said in January 2015 still mostly applies. From the Creative Madness Mama blog, search Kindergarten Enrichment. https://creativemadnessmama.com/blog...nder-review-4/

I just received a new (2019) edition of the Kindergarten Enrichment guide and there are a few changes from my 2014 guide. It is spiral bound, yay! and a few books have been exchanged for others (books going out of print and so on, new is Lions and Hubert something). Also new is that the Music Enrichment has been removed from the Enrichment Guide. It is not available in its own little book (I haven't received mine yet, because I was debating just using my old guide for that portion). I'm the original Spotify list maker for the songs chosen back in 2014. However, my understanding that music enrichment has been revamped by a musical expert in its new book for K-2.

Will you be behind if you skip the science, social studies, poetry, art, music, and read alouds? No, not necessarily, but it is an incredibly organized blessing. Could you save money and use the library for the weekly choices? Absolutely, but most mamas will tell you that having the book on hand for the week in question is a blessing and you never know when you are going to find that kiddo sparked and rereading or reexperiencing the pictures and story in a tale that has triggered their curiosity for more. As I said in my reviews for Junior Kindergarten, the read-aloud selection from Memoria Press is wonderful. There was hardly a title I did not like and most I was happy to add to our home library.
              Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020 · 8th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
              Trekking along at a student self-pace...
              DD Summer 2009 · 5th
              DD Summer 2011 · SC4
              DS Summer 2014 · JrK/K
              DD Summer 2017 · Pre
              DS …EDD 11/2019

Memoria Scholé Academy
              Blog: Creative Madness Mama
              CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

You've gotten wonderful answers so far! I'd just like to echo that the enrichment portion of the K-2 cores is one of my very favorite parts of homeschooling my littles. The read-alouds are beautiful and we love the music and art study. Our family does the enrichment every evening after dinner before getting ready for bed. One evening we will do the read-aloud, another evening we will look at the artwork, another evening we will do the music, etc. One thing I did last year that was very successful was having the kids watch the music being played by an orchestra (or sung by a singer) on YouTube. Being able to watch the instruments being played really helped them connect to the music.
                Central Ohio

2019-2020
                3rd year homeschooling - 3rd year MP user
                DS 8 - MP3A
                DS 6 - MPK/1
                DS 3

Comment

All good feedback. I really appreciate everyones responses. I definitely want to do the K curriculum as a whole including the enrichment that comes with the K set. My only worry was the separate science set thats labeled "supplemental kindergarten science and enrichment set". In our situation it is financially hard to buy the K curriculum set, read alouds set, and supplemental science set. So I wanted to reassure myself that leaving off the supplemental science set was going to be okay and not put my son behind when he enters 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica Delgado View Post
                    In our situation it is financially hard to buy the K curriculum set, read alouds set, and supplemental science set. So I wanted to reassure myself that leaving off the supplemental science set was going to be okay and not put my son behind when he enters 1st.
                    I was able to get all of the read-alouds and science books from our local library. I would LOVE to own all those beautiful books but it's pretty pricey. I'd reserve about 6 weeks of a books at a time, and if I had an issue getting a book for a particular week, I'd just switch around the enrichment schedule to accommodate when I was able to get the book.
                    Central Ohio

2019-2020
                    DS 8 - MP3A
                    DS 6 - MPK/1
                    DS 3

Comment

Thank you, truely. I definitely want to check our library to see if this could be a option for us. I want to give my son the best I can but the best is really pricey for our situation. Hopefully this can help and also I never thought about switching schedule around to accommodate if books are not available at library. Awesome idea. I'm a newbie to homeschool so it seems a little scary to mix it up a little. I'm sure we will settle into a nice routine before long and I'll feel more confident to play around with the schedule if needed.

Comment

Lots of kids...Lots of books. I have to say that I used thriftbooks.com a lot for these enrichment books for each grade. MP is really kind about giving the exact books for each supplemental program in list format with the ISBN number so that parents have options for locating these books. You can cut and paste it to get the exact book they are expecting you to use (more important as kids get older). I really appreciate that about them because multiple cores means lots of money. Last year, I bought 10 weeks worth of books at a time to break it up (3 orders of about 20 books each came to around $70 each order, and that was for 10 read aloud and 10 science/history enrichment). It can make it much more economical.
                        Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                        DS (MP2) - 7/8
                        DS (K) - 6
                        DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica Delgado View Post
                          Thank you, truely. I definitely want to check our library to see if this could be a option for us. I want to give my son the best I can but the best is really pricey for our situation. Hopefully this can help and also I never thought about switching schedule around to accommodate if books are not available at library. Awesome idea. I'm a newbie to homeschool so it seems a little scary to mix it up a little. I'm sure we will settle into a nice routine before long and I'll feel more confident to play around with the schedule if needed.
                          Another tip: Some of the enrichment read-alouds are holiday-specific. I will also switch around enrichment weeks during the holidays in order to read Christmas books at Christmas-time, instead of January, for example.

And as a newbie, feel free to ask questions on this forum! These mothers have provided SO MUCH wisdom, and the fact that representatives from MP itself come on here and answer questions is invaluable. Perusing the forum definitely has helped me feel more confident not only when I first embarked on the homeschooling journey, but pretty much every year as I come across new things!
                          Central Ohio

2019-2020
                          DS 8 - MP3A
                          DS 6 - MPK/1
                          DS 3

Comment

Better world books is a good way to get some titles cheaply. Sometimes they have very tired copies, but if you hit a sale, they can go as low as $2.50 a piece, shipped.

The Kindy enrichment is awesome. I used it for story time at our library. My mom had ordered the book set at one time, and when her grandkids out grew them, I took them to my MP friend. Her DD actually hugged some of the books when I pulled them out of the box. They had used the library when they went through.
                            Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Working...
                            X