Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing between 1st 10 Lessons FMOG or Horatius - WWYD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing between 1st 10 Lessons FMOG or Horatius - WWYD?

I have to be careful no to overload my 12 year old girl. She is incredibly diligent, bright, and will do whatever work I give her without complaint (and on time!), but I have to make sure I give her enough time to be 12.

We were new to MP cores last year, and she worked through a combo of 5M and 6M. We made it through 3/4 of Greek Myths doing the Student Guide and tests until she needed to drop it because it was too much.

Greek Myths was the only exposure she's had to myths at all. I am going to have her listen to D'Aulaire's on audiobook this summer.

So for her 7th grade year, I ordered 7M for her with a few substitutions, but I'm thinking it might be too much for her. Here's my question:

If you had to choose between Horatius and doing the first 10 weeks of Famous Men of Greece, which would you choose to drop?

I wasn't educated classically, so I don't have enough of a big picture view to know if one is "better" than the other. I realize that the first 10 weeks of FMOG is a review for Greek Myths and is optional. My concern is that we didn't make it all the way through Greek Myths and she will need the review.

Which would you choose to drop?

Thank you!
    Lauren
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2019-2020:
    9th grade DS: At a University-Model School this year plus MPOA Henle I
    7th grade DD: Mostly 7M Core and MPOA SFL
    5th grade DD: 5M
    3rd Grade DD: The one that doesn't fit nicely in a core ;) R&S 3rd Grade Math and Grammar, TS II, Prima, some MP2&3 Lit, CSII, Mammals
    2 yo DS Pudding Pie

Lauren, I think what I would do in this situation is to indeed listen to the Myths with the remaining time of summer (how is it this far into July already??) and then definitely cover FMOG in its entirety. I think that would be a good plan. And then maybe next summer, try to do some of the Horatius, even if it is just reading it together and talking about it. It’s such a stirring poem; it never fails to choke me up when my kids recite it. My fourth child will be our third one to learn it this year and I am excited all over again. So don’t skip it entirely, if you can manage!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 7.5
    DD, 5.5
    +DS+
    DS, 18 months

Comment

Thank you, Sarah! My gut is leading me towards doing all of FMOG (without rushing it), and choosing to study Horatius at a different time. I just read through the entire poem and Teacher's Guide for Horatius and it is so incredibly lovely, so I hate to skip it!

So I won't skip. We will just postpone.

Thank you for the confirmation.

Lauren
      Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2019-2020:
      9th grade DS: At a University-Model School this year plus MPOA Henle I
      7th grade DD: Mostly 7M Core and MPOA SFL
      5th grade DD: 5M
      3rd Grade DD: The one that doesn't fit nicely in a core ;) R&S 3rd Grade Math and Grammar, TS II, Prima, some MP2&3 Lit, CSII, Mammals
      2 yo DS Pudding Pie

Comment

Working...
      X