7a-science options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7a-science options

The 7th accelerated curriculum packaged has Exploring Planet Earth as part of the science module, but I believe that HLS uses Novare Earth Science instead ? Also there were a few who suggested to use Novare Physical Science as well? Can someone clarify this for me? I'd certainly appreciate it much. Thank you!
    ***4A and 7A cores for 2019-2020***

I can't find it at the moment, but there is a PDF somewhere on the forum that shows all the science options for 3-12th grades. It really helped me sort it all out! Michael do you know where that's hiding?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
    MPOA: High School Comp. II
    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
    HSC: Modern European History

DS12
    7M with:
    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
    SC Level 4

DD9
    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
    SC Level C

Comment

I'm not Michael (not nearly that smart!) but I think this is the thread you're looking for: https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...-science-paths

Scroll down to post #14 (which happens to be Michael's!) and you'll see the direct link to Cindy's PDF.

Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Thank you, Mary !!
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
        MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
        MPOA: High School Comp. II
        HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
        MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
        MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
        HSC: Modern European History

DS12
        7M with:
        Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
        SC Level 4

DD9
        3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
        Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
        SC Level C

Comment

Good afternoon MG_,

We use Exploring Planet Earth for our 8th (accelerated 7th) grade science because Geography III is such a challenging program, covering physical and political geography, culture, religion, recent history, and more. You could certainly replace Exploring Planet Earth with Novare's Earth Science or Physical Science. It all depends on your plans for high-school science and beyond. I'm attaching to this post the PDF to which Jen referred. It outlines several different science progressions.

HTH!

P.S. HLS does not use Novare's Earth Science because they do not offer an Earth Science class.
          Attached Files
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

Oh, Mary already found a previous thread containing that PDF! Thanks, Mary! (And thank you, jen1134, for suggesting this resource!)
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Michael provided a much easier way to access the PDF. Thanks, Michael!
              Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV
              DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I
              DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Thank you all so much! So MP's track for science puts Novare Physical Science in 8th grade (regular and accelerated track). How about at HLS? Do they use Exploring Planet Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by MG_ View Post
                  Thank you all so much! So MP's track for science puts Novare Physical Science in 8th grade (regular and accelerated track). How about at HLS? Do they use Exploring Planet Earth?
                  You're welcome! You can view HLS' science track by clicking here. Please keep in mind, though, that HLS has master teachers who do not also wear the "mom" hat . In other words, HLS will sometimes differ slightly from our packages, simply because what works for them would not work for most homeschoolers. Does that make sense?
                  Michael
                  Memoria Press

Comment

MG_ It helps to think about what you want to get to in high school and then backtrack. Seeing the MP/HLS schedules are helpful for that. Also keep in mind (you may already know this!) that the student's level of mathematics is going to be a big factor in their science sequence. Make sure you are cross-referencing math pre/co-requisites with middle and high school science.
                    Best to you!
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                    D · 8th
                    D · 5th
                    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Just for another option ---- you can take a peep at the MPOA sequence. Last year for 7A, my daughter did Middle School Science II, which is the Tiner Books (Bio, Chem, Physics). In the fall, she will do Physical Science in the MPOA.
                      Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                      DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                      DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                      DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                      DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                      DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Hello. We do not use Planet Earth at HLS. We do Geography 3 and our students participate in Science Olympiad in 7th. We can't work anything else in, though Cheryl Lowe loved the Tiner books.

Tanya

Comment

Wanted to mention that at HLS-Indy, we use Novare Earth Science in 7th; Novare Physical Science in 8th. Our parents expect a formal science class in both grades, and we are very pleased with the Novare textbooks.
                          Cindy Davis
                          Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
                          ds-25 college graduate: autodidact, working to pay the bills
                          ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
                          dd-21 college senior: Nursing

Comment

pickandgrin Yes! Thank you for the reminder, I'm keeping an eye on both tracks. DiannaKennedy We decided to do Physical Science via MPOA for 8th grade. Thank you for the suggestion!. tanya that explains why I did not see a science class listed for 7th grade at HLS.

Cindy, Thank you! We decided to try Novare Earth Science this year. I looked at the available lesson plans for this class but I could not find any. Are these lesson plans available anywhere or should I just follow the ones included in the cd?

Comment

Originally posted by MG_ View Post
                              We decided to try Novare Earth Science this year. I looked at the available lesson plans for this class but I could not find any. Are these lesson plans available anywhere or should I just follow the ones included in the cd?
                              This is what I am wondering too...
                              Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                              DS -18 (9/4/00) Graduated from homeschool
                              DS -14 (9/9/04)
                              DS -13 (7/3/06)

Comment

Working...
                              X