Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organizing curriculum for kids at different levels in different subjects (Grades 2-5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organizing curriculum for kids at different levels in different subjects (Grades 2-5)

We are brand new to Memoria and are looking forward to the journey. However, we have 3 kids who are just not ready for each subject per grade level. For the most part, they are on grade level for Math, but I have 2 struggling readers. My question is for anyone else in similar situation: how do you organize and plan if you are using 3 or 4 different curriculum manuals?

Have you checked out Simply Classical? It might help the transition and move into more full cores? Simply classical for a struggling reader might prove to be even more helpful! Can you share more about your situation? (Age of kids, have you homeschooled before, are the coming home from a school setting?) What are the struggling readers "struggling" with? What can they do, etc? I would not worry about math at all. It's very easy to move up or down a level on that one. So, you might do the 2nd grade core for a 3rd grader, with 3rd math. If you order a core, you would get a download with the plans for 3rd grade math. I literally just printed it out, cut (with real scissors) and glued into the math spot! IT was tedious, but worth it.

If you are working out of several manuals though another option is to get all digital plans and just print them by subject. In all honesty, I almost prefer this in the "learning to read" stage because I have never been able to follow the pace of the curriculum guide day, by day that is. So some subjects might be on week 10 and others on 12, or 14, etc. Hopefully, that is not discouraging. We have a unique situation with a husband with rotating days off, so it is never the same day every week. We might school 3, 4, 5 or 6 days, so we never follow the M-F schedule. The guide is used to help me pace the courses, but we might not be able to do all the subjects that are for "Monday" on "Monday", etc.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Don’t buy the curriculum manuals and buy the individual subject plans instead. Then you can print each subject, put them in a binder divided by subject. Each day you have to flip to each subject and you don’t get to see each week laid out all pretty, but at least it is all in one binder. If desired, buy the editable lesson plans and digitally cut and paste the individual plans into the weekly format.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

When I have had adapt only one subject I have put an address label over that subject and written on top of it.
        Heidi

2018-19
        dd- 3m
        ds- SC 1
        dd- SC B

Comment

Thanks for both of your responses. We have always done homeschooling, mostly unschooling. The oldest (10, grade 5) is doing well, but will be starting Latin, Composition and Grammar, all new subjects for him, hence the gaps in curriculum. The next is 9, technically fourth grade, but will be doing a lot of second and third grade work. Third boy is 8, between second and third grade. None of them have had any Latin, formal writing, or recitation work. I was thinking of starting First Grade recitation because they know a good amount of it and will hopefully build confidence. I'm just really struggling with the back and forth in manuals. I love the binder idea, and can easily do that with dividers. The only negative is that I have the physical manuals already...and dread spending more.

Comment

Did you purchase the manuals from MP? When I ordered 3rd almost all the lesson plans were uploaded to my download section. Have you checked there, if you ordered from MP?
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Have your purchased your cores yet, or are you still gathering information? We wound up in Simply Classical plans for my younger son who really benefits from the extra review, moderated pace and games that drive home the material. Definitely look into that if you have a struggling reader. And don't be afraid to let the three R's be the focus of your children's first year in MP. Really sink in to the math and phonics as the meat of your program, and let anything else like Enrichment be the gravy.
              Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
              DD 8-3A
              DS 5-SC C

Comment

P.s. for your 5th grader, I might consider 4th for new users with 5th grade math and spelling.
                Christine

(2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

My junior high and up children all have different subjects so that they no longer fit into a single core. Since you have the physical manuals, as others have said, editable lesson plans and enter the information into that so that you can print out a new manual with it all in one place. I don't have the editable lesson plan, but I have one that I made a few years back that I adjust for each new year and each new kid. Last year I did not even type it all out - I just hand-wrote the plans into a student planner. It was faster and easier than being on the computer. Yet it is still a chore...no doubt about it. The one thing I will say about it though is that by going through the process of it all, it always makes me more attune to what each child is going to be doing for the year. I am able to remember their workload better, and then also generate a daily schedule for each of them that makes sense given the work they have to do.

Trust me - it's great if they can work out of a single core. But even when that is possible, very often they do not keep on track with each subject all the way through the year. Inevitably, something goes slower than the rest and you still end up flipping back and forth in the manual itself. Don't sweat the fact that they are in a couple different guides. Either use a lot of colored tabs to keep your places in everything, or put the lesson plans into another sort of guide that so it is all in one place for you. It'll still be helpful for you to know exactly what to do each day, however you keep track of it!

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                  DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 7.5
                  DD, 5.5
                  +DS+
                  DS, 18 months

Comment

Thank you all for your responses...they all have been incredibly helpful! I purchased curriculum without even taking a look at Simply Classical...hindsight
                    Also, thank you for reminding me that they most likely will not follow the curriculum manuals. It's good for me to lower my expectations a bit and just let the learning happen at their pace.

Comment

Working...
                    X