OT: Aristophanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Aristophanes

Has anyone read The Acharnians/The Clouds/Lysistrata that would be willing to discuss them with me?
    Lauren
    DS7 - MP2
    DS4 - MP Jr. K
    DS2 - professional distractor

Originally posted by AggieFrau08 View Post
    Has anyone read The Acharnians/The Clouds/Lysistrata that would be willing to discuss them with me?
    I read "The Clouds" years ago in college, but have forgotten almost all of it. I do recall that there was some incredibly crude humor and so I wouldn't recommend Aristophanes for an immature student. (Honestly, I'd skip him entirely until college.) Sorry I'm not more help!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

I suspect Lauren is reading them herself.
      Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Yes, I am reading it myself. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on that!
        Lauren
        DS7 - MP2
        DS4 - MP Jr. K

Comment

Also, if anyone has suggestions for other/better Greeks for me to read (besides the obvious Homer), that would be great!
          Lauren
          DS7 - MP2
          DS4 - MP Jr. K

Comment

I'd suggest Xenophon, Herodotus and Thucydides, if you enjoy history, or some of the little poetry that we have left (Sappho, Pindar, lots of fragments...), the great tragedies (always had a soft spot for Sophocles' Antigone), the philosophers (everyone should read Plato's Apology of Socrates). Menander is the other great comic author, but I don't remember his works at all, not sure he's any "cleaner" than Aristophanes!

Comment

Lauren,
              ​​​​​​I've recently read Clouds & Lysistrata if you want to message me. I think the Greek Tragedies selections from the MP high school set at are a great place to start.
              Good for you for driving in!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
              @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...