OT: Catholic Saint Resources

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Catholic Saint Resources

Monica brought up a great question asking for suggestions on Catholic resources on Saints for 10-12 year olds. Fire away!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 7.5
    DD, 5.5
    +DS+
    DS, 18 months

For 10-12 year olds...
    There are several compilations that I really like. One is called, "The Young People's Book of Saints," and has a whole slew of traditional saints of the Church organized in chronological order. It is a reprint of a very old book, so the writing is not 100% PC by today's standards, but I have read the whole thing and it's fine. And the stories are short enough that if you want to pre-read you can, easily. It makes a great complement to the time periods the kids study through FMOR and FMMA too. This would be the easier one of the two, listed as age 8+, but suitable for younger, strong readers.

https://www.sophiainstitute.com/prod...book-of-saints

The second and third suggestions I have both have the same title. Ethel Pochocki (the same woman who wrote the Once Upon a Time Saints books.) wrote a book with this title that is great fun. She wrote this one for an older age group than OUTS, but still with her characteristic tone, so if you like her, this is good. If you don't (or if your boys don't), there is another book by the same title, "Saints and Heroes" by Andrew and Lenora Lang, which is probably more interesting for the age of boy you are asking about.

https://www.ignatius.com/Saints-and-Heroes-P2364.aspx

https://www.sophiainstitute.com/prod...and-heroes-pbk

The fourth one I really like is called "57 Saints for Children," by Anne Heffernan. It has longer stories that develop the life of the saint better, which is suitable for older-ish children. I love this one for my 5-7th graders.

https://store.pauline.org/english/bo...dren#gsc.tab=0

A final suggestion I have is that we use the "Saints for Young Readers for Every Day" books as a short reading with our morning prayers. There are two books - each covering 1/2 the year. Short and sweet, but memorable enough that as they come around each year, you start to remember them and get excited to celebrate their "day."

https://www.amazon.com/Saints-Young-.../dp/0819870811

HTHs!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 7.5
    DD, 5.5
    +DS+
    DS, 18 months

Comment

The Vision Books, Ablaze: Stories of Daring Teen Saints, Holy Heros Glory Stories, Mary Fabyan Windeatt's "Lives of the Saints" series (TAN has a some study guides to go with these).
      Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
      DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
      DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
      DD 9: 4th using 3A
      Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

There are so, so many of these resources out there. Like hundreds of books that range from stand alone books to compilation books, liturgical saint-a-day type books to "15 best loved saints" type books. The mind boggles.

My overarching strategy is The Three Legged Stool of scripture, catechism, and saints. I try to incorporate all three elements each year for my kids, but not every year has to hit on all cylinders in all categories. Once you get to MP's Christian Studies I-IV, you are in there for scripture because it is so well done and so ecumenical. Frankly, IMO it's better than sticking with Seton All the Way every year since it broadens the scope of scripture without watering it down.

That said, here's my general strategy for saints:

K/1: I love the CCC video series: https://www.catholicfamilycatalog.co...of-america.htm

I select "one a month" and we dig deeper into only 8 or 9 saints, roughly one per month. I usually choose a day of the week, and we work though a juvenile saint book for the month, but have the child watch the DVD four times that month. It is the "much not many" approach and the visuals because of the DVDs really help the child to remember the story line.

2/3: Story book style readings, like Once Upon a time Saints or Amy Welbourne. I still focus pretty heavily on only a few saints throughout the year.

4/5: Mary Fabian Windeatte books are great for this age. The writing is more elementary school than the Vision books. I actually usually do these as read alouds.

6-8: Vision books, student reads and writes a short summary at the end of each chapter. At the end of the book, the student should have 1-2 pages of a summary of the saint's life.

Of course, there are probably hundreds of new resources out there since I started homeschooling (the above is the pattern I established in my first few years of homeschooling in the early 2000's). But, since this is only one of the three legs of my stool, I don't overthink it too much. My overarching goal for saint stories is to "meet" real people who loved God with all of their hearts, minds, and souls while on earth.

Jen

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 11 yrs, 6M: complete!

All homeschooled.

Comment

Catholic Heritage Curricula has a Saints and Seasons program. I do not have experience with this but am considering it for our family. I am not particularly a fan of CHC but this looked promising. Has anyone else seen or used this?

https://www.chcweb.com/catalog/Relig...duct_info.html

Thank you Sarah for starting this thread! I was curious on this topic as well!

Peace,
          Marie
          DD (11) MP 5 R&S 3, SWO C
          DD (9) MPA 3 R&S 2, SWO B
          DD(6) MP K
          DS (4) MP JK
          DS (2)
          Baby due 9/27

Comment

Our saint "studies" have always been through free reading; I guess it never occurred to me to have them do any narration or written summaries. The free reading approach has worked well for us though -- I think it helps them see the saints as friends rather than "school".

Anyways, my kids have loved the Fr. Lovasik books, Windeatt books, Vision books, and 57 Saints is my daughter's absolute favorite -- she was able to hold a conversation with one of her Atrium teachers all about the saints because she's read that book so many times! It's available from RCHistory.

One thing to keep in mind about the majority of saint books: they definitely tend to idealize the saint's life. We have to make sure our kids understand that these were REAL people with REAL struggles and REAL sins. They led lives of heroic virtue through their responsiveness to the grace of God, but that doesn't mean they were perfect. St. Basil and St. Gregory Nazianzan even argued for years over Gregory's unsought-for assignment as Bishop!
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
            MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
            MPOA: High School Comp. II
            HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
            MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
            MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
            HSC: Modern European History

DS12
            7M with:
            Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
            SC Level 4

DD9
            3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
            Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
            SC Level C

Comment

Originally posted by mewjmw21 View Post
              Catholic Heritage Curricula has a Saints and Seasons program. I do not have experience with this but am considering it for our family. I am not particularly a fan of CHC but this looked promising. Has anyone else seen or used this?

https://www.chcweb.com/catalog/Relig...duct_info.html

Thank you Sarah for starting this thread! I was curious on this topic as well!

Peace,
              Marie
              This was released just a few days ago to order, so there are likely zero users yet! . This looks fun for my 4th grader daughter, so I do plan to get it.
              Another Saint series not mentioned is “Saints for Young Readers” There are a few volumes. https://www.amazon.com/Saints-Young-...43966712&psc=1

A note about the 57 Saints, there are a few editions and I have heard one is better than another, but I have never known which one.
              Christine

(2019/2020)
              DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
              DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
              DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by Jen (formerly) in Japan View Post
                There are so, so many of these resources out there. Like hundreds of books that range from stand alone books to compilation books, liturgical saint-a-day type books to "15 best loved saints" type books. The mind boggles.

My overarching strategy is The Three Legged Stool of scripture, catechism, and saints. I try to incorporate all three elements each year for my kids, but not every year has to hit on all cylinders in all categories. Once you get to MP's Christian Studies I-IV, you are in there for scripture because it is so well done and so ecumenical. Frankly, IMO it's better than sticking with Seton All the Way every year since it broadens the scope of scripture without watering it down.

That said, here's my general strategy for saints:

K/1: I love the CCC video series: https://www.catholicfamilycatalog.co...of-america.htm

I select "one a month" and we dig deeper into only 8 or 9 saints, roughly one per month. I usually choose a day of the week, and we work though a juvenile saint book for the month, but have the child watch the DVD four times that month. It is the "much not many" approach and the visuals because of the DVDs really help the child to remember the story line.

2/3: Story book style readings, like Once Upon a time Saints or Amy Welbourne. I still focus pretty heavily on only a few saints throughout the year.

4/5: Mary Fabian Windeatte books are great for this age. The writing is more elementary school than the Vision books. I actually usually do these as read alouds.

6-8: Vision books, student reads and writes a short summary at the end of each chapter. At the end of the book, the student should have 1-2 pages of a summary of the saint's life.

Of course, there are probably hundreds of new resources out there since I started homeschooling (the above is the pattern I established in my first few years of homeschooling in the early 2000's). But, since this is only one of the three legs of my stool, I don't overthink it too much. My overarching goal for saint stories is to "meet" real people who loved God with all of their hearts, minds, and souls while on earth.

Jen
                I tell people this ALL THE TIME. You don't have to study ALL the saints. It's impossible. Pick a few that appeal to you, and dive in. To get you started, think about your kids' names, or interests, or family heritage. Examples of favored saints in our family -- St Patrick, because we are an Irish family, and TWO of my sons are named after him. St Elizabeth of Hungary (Rachel's name sake), as well as St Kateri (Rachel's Baptismal saint); St Thomas the Apostle, as well as St Thomas Aquinas (we have a Thomas); and St Catherine of Siena (Maeve's namesake)

I wrote some posts and arranged resources by month, which might be helpful for you. Catholic Saints Books June

I LOVE the Mary Fabian books --- We just finished the story of St Catherine of Siena, and my Maeve loved it. It was also an excellent reminder for me that choosing St Catherine as a namesake for Maeve was so appropriate.

We've also enjoyed the Vision books.

I'd recommend a good anthology --- like the Saints for Young Readers (there are 1 volumes --- one that runs from Jan to June, then one from July to December). These are a quick read and perfect for morning time. Then, as you discover saints you want to learn more about, you can dive in deeper.

We also use Franciscan Media's Saint of the Day app/channel on the Alexa. If you don't use an Alexa, you can pull it up on their website, or I THINK it's available as a podcast, too.
                Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Whoops, I meant to attach this link too: https://www.nashvilledominican.org/a...s-in-practice/

I've dabbled with this set of materials over the years. They are cute, combining saints with virtues.

Jen
                  DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 11 yrs, 6M: complete!

All homeschooled.

Comment

Thank you all for these recommendations. I have been wanting to try Mary Fabyan Windeatt, but hesitated since I can't get them locally to view before buying, but I just ordered two.
                    Looking forward to checking out more of these suggestions.
                    Monica

Comment

We love the CCC videos; the idea to watch the same one once a week for a month is genius.

We have a ton of saint books - picture books to the de Wohl novels and quite a bit in between. My rising 8th grader read quite a bit of the "Young People's Book of Saints" last year (the one Sarah linked). He only stopped because he became very interested in St. Margaret Mary Alacoque and switched over the the Mary Fabyan Windeatt book I had on the shelf.

I start "assigning" the Mary Fabyan Windeatt books around 4th grade (once they are reading well), but all we do is, "Hey, what did you read about today?" though often they tell me before I can ask. From there we move on to the Vision books. We haven't yet read one we didn't like. For the slightly older kids, there's the short F. A. Forbes saint books that TAN sells, and then the Louis de Wohl novels. I wish we had the money, because Bishop Barron has his new Pivotal Players DVDs. We watched a few episodes when he was streaming them free last month and really liked them.
                      Brit

Catholic mom to five
                      Prospective 2019-2020:
                      Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
                      Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA (SFL, biology, Algebra 2), MP 10M lit, US history, and MoDG religion
                      Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, FFL, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
                      Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with SC C adaptations
                      Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                        For 10-12 year olds...
                        There are several compilations that I really like. One is called, "The Young People's Book of Saints," and has a whole slew of traditional saints of the Church organized in chronological order. It is a reprint of a very old book, so the writing is not 100% PC by today's standards, but I have read the whole thing and it's fine. And the stories are short enough that if you want to pre-read you can, easily. It makes a great complement to the time periods the kids study through FMOR and FMMA too. This would be the easier one of the two, listed as age 8+, but suitable for younger, strong readers.

https://www.sophiainstitute.com/prod...book-of-saints

The second and third suggestions I have both have the same title. Ethel Pochocki (the same woman who wrote the Once Upon a Time Saints books.) wrote a book with this title that is great fun. She wrote this one for an older age group than OUTS, but still with her characteristic tone, so if you like her, this is good. If you don't (or if your boys don't), there is another book by the same title, "Saints and Heroes" by Andrew and Lenora Lang, which is probably more interesting for the age of boy you are asking about.

https://www.ignatius.com/Saints-and-Heroes-P2364.aspx

https://www.sophiainstitute.com/prod...and-heroes-pbk

The fourth one I really like is called "57 Saints for Children," by Anne Heffernan. It has longer stories that develop the life of the saint better, which is suitable for older-ish children. I love this one for my 5-7th graders.

https://store.pauline.org/english/bo...dren#gsc.tab=0

A final suggestion I have is that we use the "Saints for Young Readers for Every Day" books as a short reading with our morning prayers. There are two books - each covering 1/2 the year. Short and sweet, but memorable enough that as they come around each year, you start to remember them and get excited to celebrate their "day."

https://www.amazon.com/Saints-Young-.../dp/0819870811

HTHs!
                        AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        Thank you Sarah. I somehow missed your post when I first read the replies, but finding it today, I looked up the resources and see they are the long lines of what I'm looking for.
                        Monica

Comment

Originally posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
                          We love the CCC videos; the idea to watch the same one once a week for a month is genius.

We have a ton of saint books - picture books to the de Wohl novels and quite a bit in between. My rising 8th grader read quite a bit of the "Young People's Book of Saints" last year (the one Sarah linked). He only stopped because he became very interested in St. Margaret Mary Alacoque and switched over the the Mary Fabyan Windeatt book I had on the shelf.

I start "assigning" the Mary Fabyan Windeatt books around 4th grade (once they are reading well), but all we do is, "Hey, what did you read about today?" though often they tell me before I can ask. From there we move on to the Vision books. We haven't yet read one we didn't like. For the slightly older kids, there's the short F. A. Forbes saint books that TAN sells, and then the Louis de Wohl novels. I wish we had the money, because Bishop Barron has his new Pivotal Players DVDs. We watched a few episodes when he was streaming them free last month and really liked them.
                          Thank you, Brit. This is I had not heard of Forbes or Louis de Wohl and I'm looking forward to reading them. I saw some of Bishop Barron's series last month too and it/his ministry is a great resource.
                          Monica

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                            Our saint "studies" have always been through free reading; I guess it never occurred to me to have them do any narration or written summaries. The free reading approach has worked well for us though -- I think it helps them see the saints as friends rather than "school".

Anyways, my kids have loved the Fr. Lovasik books, Windeatt books, Vision books, and 57 Saints is my daughter's absolute favorite -- she was able to hold a conversation with one of her Atrium teachers all about the saints because she's read that book so many times! It's available from RCHistory.

One thing to keep in mind about the majority of saint books: they definitely tend to idealize the saint's life. We have to make sure our kids understand that these were REAL people with REAL struggles and REAL sins. They led lives of heroic virtue through their responsiveness to the grace of God, but that doesn't mean they were perfect. St. Basil and St. Gregory Nazianzan even argued for years over Gregory's unsought-for assignment as Bishop!
                            Thank you, Jen, this is encouraging as it's the approach I take with the saints as well - to see them as friends and as people who have struggled with their own sinful tendencies. We've mostly had Lovasik so far and the Tomei de Paola stories and other library books and just my retelling of stories, so I'm grateful for age appropriate titles that give deeper insight into the saints lives.
                            Monica

Comment

Monica,
                              glad it was helpful! It was delayed for approval because I had to edit it too soon - for words that were not my doing. Just the glitchy-ness of this new forum! (Kinda like now when it would not fetch your quote for me to reference.).

Oh well! A few glitches can’t stop us from gabbing!

AMDG,
                              Sarah
                              DS, 16
                              DD, 14
                              DD, 12
                              DD, 10
                              DD, 7.5
                              DD, 5.5
                              +DS+
                              DS, 18 months

Comment

Working...
                              X