What do you add to the Core Curriculum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you add to the Core Curriculum?

My children will be using the Grade 1 Core and Grade 5 Core (with the 3 yo doing Preschool for fun) next year. For those who use the full Cores, what, if anything, do you add to them? I'm specifically wondering about Fine Arts for my grade 5 student. What about health/PE? I'm curious if the Myself & Others books would be an easy add for some basic health/safety/manners lessons. Both will be doing piano and ukelele lessons, and likely some sort of sport, so maybe there's no need to add anything?

Myself & Others would be the perfect addition and beneficial for all though I think you will find little time for too many additions.

Comment

The core curriculum is enough.

There are other curriculum publishers that stack lots of extras in there and pretty soon we have difficulty discerning what is truly necessary.

MP puts ​​​the "have to" in their core curriculum, not the "if we're having a great day and everyone is behaving themselves" stuff.

If you're concerned about fine art, encourage your older child to be a part of the art appreciation at the younger child's level. Just do that as a group. I would recommend the art posters instead of the cards for group appreciation like this.

I think homeschool kids, by and large, get plenty of PE (as long as your child is not glued to a screen non-stop). Especially if there is a sport involved...that's enough.

MP has a "much not many" approach. What this means is there are fewer subjects, which allows a more in-depth approach to studying. So, instead of quickly covering Greek mythology in a week or two and then moving on to some other totally unrelated topic; MP delves deeply for a year long study.

I would encourage you to consider investing in the enrichment portion of first grade. Your local library may even have a lot of the books. This could scratch that itch of "are we doing enough?" for all three kids. It would cover art and music appreciation, gentle science and geography, with fun art projects too.
      Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
      DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
      DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunaN View Post
        My children will be using the Grade 1 Core and Grade 5 Core (with the 3 yo doing Preschool for fun) next year. For those who use the full Cores, what, if anything, do you add to them? I'm specifically wondering about Fine Arts for my grade 5 student. What about health/PE? I'm curious if the Myself & Others books would be an easy add for some basic health/safety/manners lessons. Both will be doing piano and ukelele lessons, and likely some sort of sport, so maybe there's no need to add anything?
        You don't have to add in anything else. Seriously.

If you get finished early in the day, HOORAY! Get outside and explore. Look for slugs, tadpoles, birds, mushrooms, etc.

For fine arts -- you're already doing music lessons. That's more than I am doing with my children.

Pull in your older student into Enrichment and dive deep. You can use the Music Enrichment guide and dive in deep with a composer study, for example.

Myself and Others is perfect for a summer study, if you want to pull it in there.
        Plans for 2019-20
        DD #1 : 24, heading to Chase Law School NKU Fall 2019
        DD #2 : 13 8A: HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
        DS #3 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DS #4 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DD #5: 7, MP 2 at home, HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DS #6: 5, MP K at home

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

The Enrichment is the best part for me! I loved it! Phonics and Math are meat and potatoes, perfect for the emphasis, but I would have gone insane had I not had so many great children's classics to share with my crew.

We added in Music Enrichment last year. Sometimes it felt like a burden to get it in, but I liked that the K-2 book kept it short. Had we tried to look up a succinct bio on each composer and figure what NOT to say (musicians live scandalous lives!), it would have taken far longer. My mom, a 40+yr music teacher, did the music part with the kids most weeks, and it wasn't until the end that she really appreciated that it didn't burden kids with too much information they are likely to forget.

Let me stump for the American Studies Supplemental Readers Set. We haven't read the 5th grade set yet, but I'm so impressed with their picks for MP3. The Landmark books are written in an easy, approachable style. Plus, they have really piqued my eldest's interest in studying American History on her own.
          Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
          DD 8-3A
          DS 5-SC C

Comment

Hi Shauna,
            We did use Myself& Others 3&4 in 3rd & 4 th grade . It was accepted as our health requirement and my daughter loved them . She has read the Peggy Post post book several times on her own long after we finished the curriculum. We still use the art cards& posters with the enrichment guides from her K-2 yrs. and just rotate them. This year I chose the K cards that complimented our Amercan History studies and used the SC3 Enrichment guide& the music selections from the same guide. Next year for 5 th we are using Creating Art & Music Appreciation 1. The art teachers in our family are very impressed with how much our daughter already knows about art & how she can identify artists& paintings . She has become very good at freehand drawing too just from illustrating history , poetry and such , alittle each day does go a long way. She does ballet& other forms of dance to cover PE.

Comment

The Enrichment portion of the curriculum is the component that can be expanded to your hearts delight. It puts focus upon select few themes pulled from the Read Aloud Book but there are other themes you could investigate or just dig deeper into the ones we began. Enrichment is the favorite part of many a teacher whether classroom or homeschool because it is fun to teach and tends to be more discussion oriented. The "meat and potatoes" portion of the Core is trickier to add to because that portion, as written, includes plenty of review and written practice all of which are key to mastery. In most cases it is the perfect amount of written practice without requiring too much. If you begin adding other written work on top of what is already scheduled your student may experience fatigue or possibly just revolt! Dianna gave good advice when she suggested getting outdoors and music lessons. I would add museum trips, art classes, swimming, golf, and karate.

Comment

Thank you for the responses! Am I correct that the Enrichment is only in the Cores for grades K-2? (But that my older student might enjoy listening in as time allows?) Also, how are the read-aloud packages and supplemental American books used? Are they scheduled in the manual, or do you use them whenever/however you can fit them in?

Comment

They are scheduled throughout the week in your core curriculum guide from k-2. American history read alouds appear starting in third grade.

Comment

The enrichment guide lists background info and comprehension questions to promote deeper thinking. Same with music enrichment guide, background information. These would be helpful to dig deeper with your older child, but don't feel compelled to discuss every question.. there's alot.

Comment

How are the read-aloud packages and supplemental American books used? Are they scheduled in the manual, or do you use them whenever/however you can fit them in?
                      Good evening,

For grades 3 and above, both the read-aloud sets and the independently-read American Studies sets are scheduled in the curriculum manuals. We further offer discussion questions for the latter sets. These questions allow you to ensure the child actually read the book and took away some of the key details without your having to add another read-aloud to your own plate.

HTH!
                      Michael
                      Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you for the responses! Am I correct that the Enrichment is only in the Cores for grades K-2? (But that my older student might enjoy listening in as time allows?) Also, how are the read-aloud packages and supplemental American books used? Are they scheduled in the manual, or do you use them whenever/however you can fit them in?
                        While the enrichment is created specifically for K-2, all of my children enjoy it. Enrichment has become part of our family culture. We all listen to the music, discuss the art and read the books. Depending on the activities, my older or younger kids will skip a portion. I’m sure your 3rd grader will enjoy participating in the enrichment.
                        Heidi

2018-19
                        dd- 3m
                        ds- SC 1
                        dd- SC B

Comment

I would definitely expand the enrichment to your other kids! You might want to save the 5th grade read aloud for bedtime--that's what we do and it works great! All my kids (even my high school) are listening to the 3rd grade read alouds. We also add in a family Bible reading.

I always have hopes of fitting in music and art appreciation, but it rarely happens. I finally gave my kids free access to the art program I bought at the beginning of the year (Artistic Pursuits), and they work on the projects in their free time. Next year my youngest will be starting K, and I hope to use the art cards and music selections as a family study. There really isn't much time left over after our lessons. We are doing great to fit in an occasional educational video. We did manage to read 3 Shakespeare plays with our homeschool co-op (and the help of Arkangel CDs), so there is time, but it's often in the evenings and weekends that we get to those things. I also teach the bulk of Jr K on weekends and in the evenings. My son doesn't seem to mind.
                          Last edited by HollyS; 06-12-2019, 06:06 PM.
                          Holly,
                          mom to:
                          DD 16 & DS 13--8M
                          DD 11 & DD 8--3A
                          DS 4--jr. K

Comment

Working...
                          X