Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New User Placement Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by bean View Post

    I have a friend whose daughter did K this year. She was at much the same level as yours. They had a great year. Her daughter did great. Because she didn't need all of the repetition that's built in, it gave them time to savor the Enrichment. Honestly, the material in the Enrichment is stuff many adults don't know. MP splits into a regular and accelerated path in 3rd grade, so it can ramp up pretty quickly at that point if you choose. Compact now if you need to, but don't skip.
    Unfortunately, I didn't know about MP when my oldest was in Kindergarten. If I could do K all over again for him, knowing what I know now, this is exactly what I would do.

    This is a great suggestion, Bean.
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

    2019-2020:
    9th grade DS: At a University-Model School this year plus MPOA Henle I
    7th grade DD: Mostly 7M Core and MPOA SFL
    5th grade DD: 5M
    3rd Grade DD: The one that doesn't fit nicely in a core ;) R&S 3rd Grade Math and Grammar, TS II, Prima, some MP2&3 Lit, CSII, Mammals
    2 yo DS Pudding Pie

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by bean View Post

      I have a friend whose daughter did K this year. She was at much the same level as yours. They had a great year. Her daughter did great. Because she didn't need all of the repetition that's built in, it gave them time to savor the Enrichment. Honestly, the material in the Enrichment is stuff many adults don't know. MP splits into a regular and accelerated path in 3rd grade, so it can ramp up pretty quickly at that point if you choose. Compact now if you need to, but don't skip.
      Is this the friend that came with you to the Indy homeschool convention in 2018?
      Christine

      (2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

      Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by howiecram View Post

        Is this the friend that came with you to the Indy homeschool convention in 2018?
        It is! They had a great year and are excited to do MP 1 next year. Her dd is so excited to start cursive my friend had to hide the book.
        Bean. Long time MP user.

        DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by bean View Post

          It is! They had a great year and are excited to do MP 1 next year. Her dd is so excited to start cursive my friend had to hide the book.
          That is great!
          Christine

          (2019/2020)
          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
          DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
          DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

          Previous Years
          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

          Comment


            #20
            Thank you, everyone, for your help! Of course, I still have more questions.

            1. Since my rising fourth grader has already spent 2 years on states and capitals with MODG, should I have her do Geography I this year? She memorized the names but not their locations. I feel like she could pick those up when her sisters go through S&C. She is the oldest of 4.

            2. My rising first grader is already reading fluently. Can we skip all of the first grade phonics work and just get the Storytime Treasures?

            Thanks again for your help! This forum is such a great resource!

            Comment


              #21
              I wish I had known about MP1 when my eldest was going into first grade. The summer before my daughter went into 2nd grade, we did the MP1 math, enrichment, and the literature selections from Storytime Treasures as a catch up to starting MP2. My daughter was also an accelerated reader. She read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in the fall of her 1st grade year, and she was able to discuss characters and thematic elements throughout. We still did almost 45 min of phonics work every day of her 1st grade year, and her reading abilities grew even more. She read every single MP1 science and supplemental reader on her own from Enrichment (these were designed as read-alouds). Phonics work is so important. It helps with spelling (encoding) and keeps fresh the knowledge gained through early reading.

              The FSR E is a tiny investment and a great review of the vowel teams, soft g and c, and the 3 sounds of y. The pros can let you know whether it's a less important component should you stick to Storytime Treasures and More Storytime Treasures. I just found a radical difference in my first grader's ability to write words employing phonics and spelling rules and read words using those same words.

              No matter what, don't skip Traditional Spelling 1. It is such an amazing program. You'll need the Classical Phonics book to go with it (my daughter's favorite part). If you plan to stick with MP, your child will really enjoy the familiar format when she gets to Traditional Spelling 2. We loved TS2. That's why all the moms are begging for TS3.
              Mama to 2, Married 17 years

              SY 19/20
              DD 8-3A
              DS 5-SC C

              Comment


                #22
                These two areas (States and Capitals / first grade phonics) are ones I would not worry about monkeying around with in the plan. Do them as written.

                The S&C is a great, fun program and it offers an opportunity to begin working on MP courses that is solid and age-appropriate. We did S&C with MODG with our oldest too, and it really doesn’t compare to the course the kids do with MP. They learn it so much better with MP. Plus, it’s really not worth switching to something else and having your CG be off in that one subject for years to come.

                As for first grade phonics, again, stick with the plan. You don’t know what your child really knows well, and what needs shoring up. It’s not a huge time saver to skip it, but it is skill-building to do it.

                These are two great examples of something you will want to repeat often while you use MP: “Trust the plan. Trust the plan. Trust the plan.”

                That one reminder will will save you so much face-palming from monkeying around with an expertly-designed and highly-successful path.

                AMDG,
                Sarah
                2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 7.5
                DD, 5.5
                +DS+
                DS, 18 months

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by enbateau View Post
                  I wish I had known about MP1 when my eldest was going into first grade. The summer before my daughter went into 2nd grade, we did the MP1 math, enrichment, and the literature selections from Storytime Treasures as a catch up to starting MP2. My daughter was also an accelerated reader. She read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in the fall of her 1st grade year, and she was able to discuss characters and thematic elements throughout. We still did almost 45 min of phonics work every day of her 1st grade year, and her reading abilities grew even more. She read every single MP1 science and supplemental reader on her own from Enrichment (these were designed as read-alouds). Phonics work is so important. It helps with spelling (encoding) and keeps fresh the knowledge gained through early reading.

                  The FSR E is a tiny investment and a great review of the vowel teams, soft g and c, and the 3 sounds of y. The pros can let you know whether it's a less important component should you stick to Storytime Treasures and More Storytime Treasures. I just found a radical difference in my first grader's ability to write words employing phonics and spelling rules and read words using those same words.

                  No matter what, don't skip Traditional Spelling 1. It is such an amazing program. You'll need the Classical Phonics book to go with it (my daughter's favorite part). If you plan to stick with MP, your child will really enjoy the familiar format when she gets to Traditional Spelling 2. We loved TS2. That's why all the moms are begging for TS3.
                  I whole-heartedly agree with this! My #3 child read very early and very well. Because I didn't know better, I did very little phonics with her because she just read. (I only did AAR 1 with her.) I have kicked myself over and over for not doing phonics with her because we are having to make up so much time with learning how to spell.

                  I didn't know about MP when this particular child was in 1st, but in the lovely wisdom of hindsight, I would have had her go through all of MP 1 phonics, even though she read early. It solidifies phonics in such a thorough, age-appropriate way with just the perfect amount of writing practice.
                  Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

                  2019-2020:
                  9th grade DS: At a University-Model School this year plus MPOA Henle I
                  7th grade DD: Mostly 7M Core and MPOA SFL
                  5th grade DD: 5M
                  3rd Grade DD: The one that doesn't fit nicely in a core ;) R&S 3rd Grade Math and Grammar, TS II, Prima, some MP2&3 Lit, CSII, Mammals
                  2 yo DS Pudding Pie

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X