Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New User Placement Help

Hello!

I am new to MP, and I need a bit of help deciding where to place my oldest. She will turn 9 at the end of June, and she is finishing up MODG 3rd grade with Singapore Math 3. She was an early reader and can now read middle-school-level books at lightening speed. Her math skills are fine, but she is not very fast with multiplication/division above the five table. At almost-9, I am definitely getting more resistance from her in her school work. She is also very small for her age and socially awkward.

Our current plan is to work on math fact speed over the summer as well as Prima Latina (started a few weeks ago), Mr. Popper's Penguins (to get a feel for the Lit guides), and Intro to Composition (sentence-construction practice). We all do better if schoolwork doesn't come to a screeching halt in the summer. I was then planning to start her with the 4th for New Users in the fall, but I wonder if she wouldn't be better off in the long run if we just start with 3rd as we transition to the new curriculum.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello.

I think Fourth Grade for New Users would be a perfect fit for your daughter next year. And I love what you are doing this summer. Your summer work is a perfect preparation for MP materials.

Tanya

Comment

I am familiar with MODG! You may find the writing in MP to overwhelm in the beginning, so just know that every question does not need to be answered in writing at the beginning! You can work up to more writing. Also, at this level, you use the guide for good oral discussion, but you want her answers in complete sentences. She will orally answer the question, you help her form a good sentence with that answer, then you write it on the board, a piece of paper, wherever and she copies it! (This is similar to how you do the Bible retelling, etc in MODG3).
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

The question that Heather is asking is essentially the same question I was asking in another thread as well but not sure what the answer is still.. We sound like we are in the same place in Prima Latina , we plan to continue through the summer as well , but that wouldn't make us finished with Prima at the start of the new school year. It seems that most people feel that Prima should just be abandoned if you are in a guide where Latina is starting . My daughter is 10 . We have the SC5/6 guide and the 3A guide but we are doing 5 th grade work except for Classical/ Christian Studies and the Enrichment portion w/ 5 th grade science. This year the guides are just guides as a map for our day , next year we hope to be more ' Core' oriented but I can accept the fact that we are not exactly in the core with Latin but also wondering if staying in Prima for the year is too far back for a fifth grader. And , if we are not doing Astronomy this year , wouldn't it be nice to keep up with Prima to get the match up with Zodiacs& Greek Myths? Opinions?

Comment

Prima is really designed for 2nd graders (3rd is good too). If your child is 10 already, I think that LC is the way to go. Prima is 5-6 words but LC is more like 10, but ALL of the words (I think minus the zodiac names) are IN LC. If you are doing a 2 year pace of LC, I think that you will appreciate the layout of LC as well as your child.
          Christine

(2019/2020)
          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Thank you Christine ! I will probably take your wise advice and press on to LC in the fall , 2 yr. pace . I can always add in the zodiac lesson if we have not reached it by the end of summer . Sometimes you just need that extra push into the unknown . I appreciate it!

Comment

You won't have to add in the 12 constellations of the zodiac from Prima Latina because it should just come up in Greek Myths, Astronomy and Recitation in 4NU. I know 3A has the 12 constellations of the zodiac as memory work in both review box and recitation. You can decide whether you want it in alphabetical order or in order they appear in the sky (seasons). I hear the latter is recommended.
              Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
              DD 8-3A
              DS 5-SC C

Comment

Thank you , Enbateau, that is helpful to know . Christine , did I miss something , is EG1 not completed in the SC5/6 Acc. guide? It it starting to look like I should just move Creating Art& Music & the Greek CD to the 3A guide and after that move to 5M .That should make for a smooth transition right ? I know you have done some studying of the guides that is why I am asking . I have to sub out math& spelling anyway and stay on track with grade level science .

Comment

Originally posted by Eve View Post
                  Thank you , Enbateau, that is helpful to know . Christine , did I miss something , is EG1 not completed in the SC5/6 Acc. guide? It it starting to look like I should just move Creating Art& Music & the Greek CD to the 3A guide and after that move to 5M .That should make for a smooth transition right ? I know you have done some studying of the guides that is why I am asking . I have to sub out math& spelling anyway and stay on track with grade level science .
                  EGR1 is completed fully in SC 5/6! If you do 5th grade math, spelling, Core skills 5, and Science?? (verifying this is correct?) Are you doing Classical Composition 1, which set of literature guides? You will still kind of be in an awkard place core wise. (I would not worry) You might wait and see what SC 7/8 brings! At the end of SC 5/6 you will have completed 1/2 of LC, ALL of EGR1, Greek Myths, States & Caps, Christian Studies I/

5M would have EGR II, Classical Studies II, Geography 1 (with review of States and Caps), FMOR, Insects, (Lit) Heidi, Lassie, and Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe + First Form Latin

Last edited by howiecram; 06-02-2019, 02:54 PM.
                  Christine

(2019/2020)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Hi Christine!
                    Yes , I am in an awkward place core wise! I am really believing SC 7/8 will somehow bring us out of it all! Having a rough time not knowing what the literature with be ... All of the subjects you said we would complete in 5/6 are perfect and ideal , thank you! We are doing CLE grade 5 Math, LA & Science . We are using R&S spelling 6 with the MP old plans and for Lit . we have The Moffats , My Side of the Mountain and The Cricket in Times Square . Just today though I was thinking of pulling out Cricket just in case it appears in 7/8, filling in with Amercan History selections ? We are not doing Comp .We did Intro to Comp and will finish that up with The Moffats. CLE 5 has enough comp in it this year to hold us over. We did buy all of the MP student guides and will do all of the writing . I probably should have just bought the 4 th grade lit for this year seeing that we didn't want to miss any of the selections but already having The Moffats and wanting to know what selections were chosen for 7/8 threw me off a bit .
                    Thanks again for helping me sort through it all!

Comment

Originally posted by Eve View Post
                      Hi Christine!
                      Yes , I am in an awkward place core wise! I am really believing SC 7/8 will somehow bring us out of it all! Having a rough time not knowing what the literature with be ... All of the subjects you said we would complete in 5/6 are perfect and ideal , thank you! We are doing CLE grade 5 Math, LA & Science . We are using R&S spelling 6 with the MP old plans and for Lit . we have The Moffats , My Side of the Mountain and The Cricket in Times Square . Just today though I was thinking of pulling out Cricket just in case it appears in 7/8, filling in with Amercan History selections ? We are not doing Comp .We did Intro to Comp and will finish that up with The Moffats. CLE 5 has enough comp in it this year to hold us over. We did buy all of the MP student guides and will do all of the writing . I probably should have just bought the 4 th grade lit for this year seeing that we didn't want to miss any of the selections but already having The Moffats and wanting to know what selections were chosen for 7/8 threw me off a bit .
                      Thanks again for helping me sort through it all!
                      Maybe switch Crickets for Twenty One Ballons? I am actually hoping the 4th grade get skipped and the 5th grade are the ones included in 7/8. I am hoping the booklist will be released soon (maybe this fall?)
                      Christine

(2019/2020)
                      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Hello, I am not sure where I need to post this question. I posted it last night but maybe in the wrong place. I'll try again. :O) I am considering MP for my daughter for Kindergarten. She finished PreK 4 in May. She recognizes all of her letters and numbers and can write most of them correctly, writes her name, can count at least up to 50 if not higher, reads 3 letter words by sounding them out, and knows how to hold her pencil. I reviewed the sample of K5 curriculum. I feel like she is ahead of at least what I can see. Please share your knowledge/experience of the Kindergarten curriculum and if you recommend starting from the beginning regardless of her current status or skipping some. We will be new to homeschooling in the fall. I plan to have her keep writing and reading over the summer but I don't have anything else planned right now. Thank you!

Comment

Yes Christine , that would be an ideal choice for us as well! Anxiously awaiting the booklist too!
                          Mom of 3 Arrows, our daughter was an early reader , beginning in PreK , with a lot of the same skills you mentioned your daughter having. We started with MPK because I did not want to start skipping grades when we were just getting started with homeschooling and because MPK is a full an rich curriculum even with a child who has a bit of a head start. The K program will start your daughter off early with a love of learning and get her on strong footing early. We did the Enrichment portion which was the best part for us , reading all of those rich books together .We even dipped into the JrK program to get some of those books read too and we used the layout of JrK as our morning time plan & calendar work. I used a different phonics program but that is because I found it first and it was working and math I've used two programs . Math is working out for us too but I would highly recommend starting out with all MP from the beginning . It is better in the long run to stay the course once you have started and to start from the beginning . Of course I can only share from my personal experience , but being in a similar situation skipping doesn't seem necessary .

Comment

Originally posted by Mom of 3 Arrows View Post
                            Hello, I am not sure where I need to post this question. I posted it last night but maybe in the wrong place. I'll try again. :O) I am considering MP for my daughter for Kindergarten. She finished PreK 4 in May. She recognizes all of her letters and numbers and can write most of them correctly, writes her name, can count at least up to 50 if not higher, reads 3 letter words by sounding them out, and knows how to hold her pencil. I reviewed the sample of K5 curriculum. I feel like she is ahead of at least what I can see. Please share your knowledge/experience of the Kindergarten curriculum and if you recommend starting from the beginning regardless of her current status or skipping some. We will be new to homeschooling in the fall. I plan to have her keep writing and reading over the summer but I don't have anything else planned right now. Thank you!
                            I have a friend whose daughter did K this year. She was at much the same level as yours. They had a great year. Her daughter did great. Because she didn't need all of the repetition that's built in, it gave them time to savor the Enrichment. Honestly, the material in the Enrichment is stuff many adults don't know. MP splits into a regular and accelerated path in 3rd grade, so it can ramp up pretty quickly at that point if you choose. Compact now if you need to, but don't skip.
                            Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

bean, thank you for your advice! much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X