Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

Couple of things to think about...
    Are you sure that HLS is giving the ITBS in K, 1, and 2?
    I got that impression from the MP Reps in the forum. Maybe I didn't ask the question specifically though and got a general answer. You could be right.
    Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
    DS (MP2) - 7/8
    DS (K) - 6
    DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

They do test in K-2 at HLS

https://thelatinschool.org/satitbsscores/

But they don't have a program for children with special needs there. NT kids can and do perform well on these types of tests.
      Mama to 2

Summer:
      MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
      SY 20/21
      4A

Comment

I think your reason for testing shows why you shouldn’t test at this point: teaching them to take a standardized test isn’t going to give a true result. So if the “hit by a bus” thing we’re to happen, they would likely end up being misplaced based on tests that most kids take without prep yet they had to prep intensely for.

The assessments in front of your SC Manual will give your husband and any future educators a MUCH more accurate (and COMPLETE) picture of your children. They would then be able to use that information to administer specialized tests that can only be given by degreed psychologists/teachers to accurately place them within a school system.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
        DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
        DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
        DS11: SC 4
        DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
        DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
        DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

This is a little bit of a tangent, but as far as college acceptance testing goes, y'all might want to look into the CLT. Jeremy Tate (one of the founders of the CLT) just did a fantastic interview with Eric Metaxas about it if you have some time to listen. Standardized testing and all the ways that it affects our educational system is an oddly fascinating subject.

Jodi
          ~~~~~~~
          2019-20 School Year:
          Ethan (7A)
          Matthew (5A)
          Silas (1st)
          Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
          Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

jen1134 We aren't using the SC program actually. This was our first year with MP. He's been doing MP2 and I'm honestly satisfied with his progress. It's taken some time to get on our feet in Literature, and I think if I had started there with SC, I would have been able to help him a little better early on. I've ordered MP3, and I'm still probably going to pick up the SC5/6 2 yr book just as an extra resource and go ahead with those assessments like you said. That alone is probably worth its weight in gold.

We took several different practice tests on Tuesday covering several parts of the expected test. Both kids, one is is as neurotypical (NT) as you get, both had nearly every single answer wrong. Just flat wrong. Like 90% wrong. Wrong on alphabetization, capitulation, punctuation, subject -verb agreement, basic math problems, money... only vocabulary came away unscathed. it was overwhelming and I was truly - privately - in tears. There is no way that was an accurate assessment of what they can do.

I've learned a lot since Tuesday, watching how they start filling in answers. I've had to teach them not to look straight at the multiple choice answers because it seems to make them 1) not spend time doing the actual work like working out a basic math problem manually on their own (that was the NT kiddo), 2) not bother reading the instructions. It's like they seem to assume the just "know" what the question "should" ask, rather than what it actually asks. Does one answer having rhyming words? Oh that must be what they wanted...Nope...they asked for synonyms. Literally, they would turn a page, and in a fraction of a second, they would begin bubbling in an answer. Distractions are a major problem for my older son. Closing the windows helped significantly. Honestly, just making them read every single instruction made the biggest difference. They just got bubble happy! Yesterday was so much better.

Without any guidance today, with completely new material, they were getting 80-90% of them right. Both kids. I did not help a single bit. Where they made mistakes, we went over them afterwards. They are becoming aware of when they forget what the question wanted. It was actually a wonderful morning and we all felt pretty good about it. I thought their answers truly did reflect what they knew, and what we haven't covered yet.

Test taking - especially the standardized kind - is a skill set. For some people, those skills may be more intuitive and for others, it may be an acquired one. I just know which type I'm dealing with now for both of these kids. The next two, this may be completely different. I'm just happy right now. I learned a few things about them, and they learned a few things about themselves too.
            Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
            DS (MP2) - 7/8
            DS (K) - 6

Comment

MBentley I'm so glad it came together for you and your boys!
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
              DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
              DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
              DS11: SC 4
              DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
              DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
              DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Originally posted by JodiSue View Post
                This is a little bit of a tangent, but as far as college acceptance testing goes, y'all might want to look into the CLT. Jeremy Tate (one of the founders of the CLT) just did a fantastic interview with Eric Metaxas about it if you have some time to listen. Standardized testing and all the ways that it affects our educational system is an oddly fascinating subject.
                That was fascinating. Scary and fascinating. That test is in its early years, but I'm wondering just how much its going to grow over the next decade. I'm going to remember this.
                Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                DS (MP2) - 7/8
                DS (K) - 6

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                  MBentley I'm so glad it came together for you and your boys!
                  I just wanted to tell you that I truly, always, appreciate when you provide guidance. When you post, I do pay attention - every single time. You make me "think" outside of whatever direction my mind is barreling towards. I really need those perspectives. I absolutely need to be told "I think you need to re-think this for all these reasons". It helps me grow. I can't tell you how many times I've been charging down a path with one train of thought, only to find out I've been on the wrong track and I'm flat out wrong in my thinking. The only comfort I have about being wrong, is that I don't dwell on it - I will charge just as hard down that opposite path, unflinchingly eating crow along the way. I don't care if I look like I'm flip-flopping. I don't need to be the person that's always right - but I really do need to be "correct" in my thinking. When you post, it's like I get a fresh mind, a new perspective, and a lifetime of different experiences to draw from. If ever I don't fall on the same line of thought as you and several others, my first thought is always going to be "What am I missing? How did I come to one conclusion if this other person or group, who has much more experience, came to a different one?" It makes me seriously go back to my thought process and evaluate it, refine it, and if necessary (too often necessary), chunk it and start over.

Thank you for your time and your thoughts and your perspectives. It's vital, relevant, and needed.

Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                  DS (MP2) - 7/8
                  DS (K) - 6

Comment

Working...
                  X