Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindergarten Supplemental Science/Enrichment Integrated Into Curriculum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindergarten Supplemental Science/Enrichment Integrated Into Curriculum?

Good morning! I'm looking into the Kindergarten Curriculum for my son turning 5 this summer. I see there are three Kindergarten book packages available, the Core, the Read-Aloud, and the Supplemental Science/Enrichment. The first two are fully integrated into the kindergarten curriculum and the day-to-day lesson plans. Is the science supplemental also integrated into the lesson plans, or is it just a nice collection of books separate and detached from the MP kindergarten curriculum?

I like the collection of books but would like to know if they are utilized in the kindergarten (or future) lesson plans or enrichment guides, or whether I would need to create my own lesson plans/schedule to incorporate them in the day. If any of you have already done this I'd appreciate hearing what worked for you. Thanks!

The science readers are absolutely woven into the Enrichment (which is the read-alouds as well as art cards and music). Now, sometimes the science (and in later grades history readers) don't tie in overtly as they could, but it's always at least related to the poem or read aloud's plot line, characters or author. For instance, a book might mention travel, and you'll read a book on trains, or it has animals like Stellaluna, and you read a book on bats (like Zipping, Zapping, Zooming Bats).
    Mama to 2

Summer:
    MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
    SY 20/21
    4A

Comment

All the books you mentioned are scheduled in the weekly lessons. The Read-Aloud books are to be read each day and all the science, history, geography, and cultural studies themes are pulled from these. The Supplemental Science/Enrichment Set titles are scheduled to further develop these themes and give the student more age appropriate information on the topics. Many of the Supplemental Science titles are revisited in 1st and 2nd grades when the theme aligns. Students will internalize different material when these are read at the later time. Of the sets the most important, after the core, is the Read Aloud set. We often encourage families to use the library for books that match the theme in the Supplemental Science Set rather than try to get the Read Aloud book in the week it is scheduled because there are many home-school families making good use of their local libraries and they oft times can't get the book when they need it.

Comment

We bought them all, and it was such a time and money saver! The first year we homeschooled, I ran myself ragged trying to reserve, pick up and return all of the assorted books we needed from the library. This one parent and I fought back and forth for a book that got read over 12 weeks, and it was so annoying to have to stop that whole subject for 3 weeks while she had it on hold, read it, and returned it. It took 3 back and forths before we finished it, and just the gas in returning and picking it up would have paid for the book twice over. Pennywise, pound-foolish.

We have all the read alouds for MPK, MP1, MP2 and MP3, as well as all of the science and history supplemental readers for those grades. It has made a beautiful library, and my eldest will routinely get books off the shelf to read for fun. Also, when my kids ask random questions, I can almost always pull a book off the shelf. Two examples: a bat nested in our tree last year, and we had the bats book mentioned above for immediate perusal. We made a bat house at the end, and my kids still talk about the facts they learned in it. Second, my son asked whether all houses are made of brick, and we pulled out the Gail Gibbons book on how houses are made, and he sat through the whole thing, telling his dad all about it when he got home.

Enrichment is my favorite part of MP in the younger grades. Definitely get the read alouds. And strongly consider buying a package of the supplemental readers that go with it. They resell well, or they are great to reuse in higher grades or as a library.
        Mama to 2

Summer:
        MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
        SY 20/21
        4A

Comment

We have had the exact same experience as well and opted to purchase all of the same sets , including all of the 4 th grade Christmas selections. My daughter has reread these books countless times and doesn't seem to be outgrowing them. The science selections have been repeated yearly , somehow they always seem to get incorporated back into the curriculum . I have found that my daughter has more memorized poetry and science knowledge stored away just from returning to the bookshelves on her own each year. It is a beautiful collection worth having .

Comment

Working...
          X