Editable Lesson Plans questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editable Lesson Plans questions

I have some specific questions about the editable lesson plans.

1. If I buy the ELP and I buy digital copies of individual subjects can I copy and paste from the IP into the ELP and will it keep all the beautiful formatting? Do I need anything other than basic Adobe to do this? I ask because I am trying to make my own template in Sheets and when I cut and paste from my IP it loses the formatting and makes a single cell take up three cells (granted I am not at all experienced in using Sheets so it may be my issue). My goal is to end up with lesson plans that look much like the curriculum manual but with my changes in it (different grade levels etc)

2. Are the Row heights adjustable without a fancy subscription to Adobe pro (or whatever the version is where you can do all the editing)? I ask because each week in the IP have different heights and different subjects have different heights on different grades. I would hate to cut and paste and lose half the stuff because the column height is too short.

3. I understand the subjects are pre-filled to match the subjects in the curriculum manual for that grade. That makes sense in the grades where multiple grades follow the same subjects, but it looks like high school has custom subjects each year. How does that work if I buy the high school template? What if it says American History and we are doing 11th grade World History

4. Can I type in my own plans for subjects that aren't MP? For instance, if I use a different spelling can I type in my spelling plans by hand since I don't have anything to cut and paste from MP?

5. Does this come with 34 different sheets, one for each week? Or is it only one sheet and I have to type a new week number and make a separate print for each week of the year? Is it one big file with 34 different weekly sheets or just one small file with one weekly spread?
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Following! I'm very interested (and confused) about the editable lesson plans. I wonder about #4 and #5 specifically. How do other people use this? I admit I'm kind of tempted to use a spiral notebook because it all looks so confusing.

Comment

Debbie,

I am probably the last person that should answer this question, but i'll try

1. Some formatting is lost. The font changes (italics, bold) and the indention of the check boxes all move to the left.
      2. You wont lose info. If there is more info, the font automatically shrinks to fit it in the box.
      3. I thought at one time I was able to add/remove subjects or at least type next to them, but I can't figure out how to do that anymore. I could be dreaming this.
      4. You can type whatever you like in the plans. It's not just for copy and pasting.
      5. It's one file with 34 weeks. 2 page spread for each week.

Once again, there may be ways to fix or avoid these changes when copying over, I'm just not that savvy.

I'll text you some screen shots of what the plans look like when copy and pasted!
      Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
      DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
      DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
      DD 9: 4th using 3A
      Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

Guys. I know I'm a broken record. But if you are having to "cut and paste" everything, that Homeschool Planet digital planner is kind of awesome. You don't cut and paste into the calendar directly. You create a "Lesson Plan" where you are cut and pasting the class assignments over. So you create a lesson plan for a specific grade and a specific class. When it comes time to creating a schedule for the student, you select the lesson plan and add it to the student for that year. So you do this one time and every time you have an up and coming student, you just add the lesson plan to their calendar that year. You even get pretty checkboxes. I print a weekly calendar for each kid. It's a thing of beauty.

Having said that...this takes hours to do one grade. I'm doing 3rd right now. Since I have 4 kids, this is the last time I have to do it for all 3rd grade subjects for all future 3rd graders. Next year, I'll just use the work I've already done. My 2nd grade year is already built from last year. I am combining my 2nd and 3rd grader in a couple of subjects so it's a big win for me to do this cut and pasting one time.

This works out well since we have every other Friday off (because Hubby is off those days). That alone messes up the perfect 5 day schedule. Sick? No worries. Spontaneous vacation? Weird off day where only half of stuff gets done...It's 2 button rescheduling in about a second, and you can print out a new sheet for the week. It also calculates grades, keeps attendance,and creates a transcript. They let you play with it for several weeks to see if you even like it without charging you.

I wouldn't speak so highly of it - but it's a real helper for this type of intensive curriculum.

Going back to my cutting and pasting now...Good luck guys!

Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
        DS (MP2) - 7/8
        DS (K) - 6
        DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Good afternoon everyone,

Katie, your answers were great; thank you! To address #3, the subjects are not editable, but we tried to make them as broad as possible. The specific subjects in the high school template are:
          • Latin & Greek
          • Math
          • Logic
          • Composition
          • Literature
          • Classical Studies
          • Christian Studies
          • American/Modern Studies
          • Science
          We created these templates due to multiple requests for customizable, MP-style lesson plans. Unfortunately, we have to work within the limits of Adobe's free PDF software. I am sorry that we can't offer anything more than these templates at the moment. If we* ever discover a better solution, we can certainly revisit this project!

*And by "we" I mean somebody who actually has experience with creating editable templates, so not I

HTH!
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

I'd love to know if there's a way for MP to have a CM file (say, 7M), that you can then import/update pre-formatted rows from substituted subjects (kind of like mail merge...?) and then print on demand/bind to send to the person who placed the order. I would gladly pay more for a fully customized CM that I don't have to copy/paste, use sticky notes in, or add adhesive labels to.

My husband does data merge in InDesign for one of our clients. I'm going to see if he knows of a way this idea could work! (But would the POD part work for MP??)
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
            MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
            MPOA: High School Comp. II
            HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
            MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
            MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
            HSC: Modern European History

DS12
            7M with:
            Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
            SC Level 4

DD9
            3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
            Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
            SC Level C

Comment

Digital planners (like Homeschool Planet) also remind you to grade and do things like print out transcripts. Almost all of them have a free trial. I have a small laptop so Homeschool Planet’s layout didn’t work for me. I like Homeschool Manager, but it doesn’t keep the formatting as nice. Summer is a great time to try out a few.
              Last edited by bean; 05-23-2019, 03:17 PM. Reason: unclear
              Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Do you have MS Word or other word processing program? I do all my own lesson plans in MS Word. I don't cut/paste for the above mentioned reasons. But, I don't type everything in from scratch. I create a week and then copy it into the other cells and change what needs to be changed. That way I'm not always trying to find the right square symbol, monkey with the font size, etc.
                Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                ds 23, graduated
                dd 15, 9th Grade
                dd 12, 6th Grade
                ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

The row heights are not adjustable. The font size will shrink so you do not loose info. But. Having a row with one line and tons of white space and the having the row next to it filled up with tiny font is not my cuppa tea.
                  ~ Carrie
                  Catholic mom to four - ages 10, 7, 5, and 2
                  7th year homeschooling, 2nd year MP!
                  2019-2020: 5M (LC year 2), 3M (LC year 2), and K enrichment!

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
                    Digital planners (like Homeschool Planet) also remind you to grade and do things like print out transcripts. Almost all of them have a free trial. I have a small laptop so Homeschool Planet’s layout didn’t work for me. I like Homeschool Manager, but it doesn’t keep the formatting as nice. Summer is a great time to try out a few.
                    Just for grins, i'm going to try Homeschool Manager out and see if it's better for me. Why not, right?!
                    Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                    DS (MP2) - 7/8
                    DS (K) - 6

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post

Just for grins, i'm going to try Homeschool Manager out and see if it's better for me. Why not, right?!
                      Here's one more while you're exploring. https://www.scholaric.com/marketing

Our friends developed this one. It's super simple. I used it for a year and this would be the digital planner I would continue to use.. I just prefer to do grades and record keeping the ole' fashion way.
                      Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
                      DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
                      DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
                      DD 9: 4th using 3A
                      Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

So all I want is the ability to create custom lesson plans that I print out at the start of the year. I used to be fond of not planning too far ahead and being flexible till I realized my flexibility just meant procrastination. If I get too far off my MP plans I feel bad and work to get back on track. Each day I write the date at the top of the column and if we do something a different day than the column date I date that box. But I can see how far behind/ahead I am of my original plan. Each week my kids write out their “homework” in their own planner. For my high schoolers, I give them their own print out of the full course lesson plans. With my middle schooler, I just write things like “ read chapter 12” or “do lesson 15.” I might take advantage of being able to print a weekly schedule for them or I might not. I certainly will not be keeping grades digitally or checking off what we did on the computer. I do all that on paper. My mind can’t handle vertical reading much and I need to scribble notes. Since I don’t have an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil, paper will have to do! Ironically, I prefer all my fun reading to be in my e-ink Kindle and not paper though.
                        So- all I want is the ability to cut and paste and type in my own subjects as needed and print a beautifully laid out plan book like the curriculum manual. If my graphic artist weren’t living three hours away and busy with an art commission in addition to her job, I’d have her do it on her indesign program. Instead I will try to use whatever tech my old fashioned brain can handle and wing something together.
                        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                        DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                        DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                        DS, 21, chemistry major
                        DS, 18, Physics major
                        DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                        DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
                        DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

momgineer
                          Here's what mine looks like in the end. Is this something like what you are talking about? I tell the program to assume everything was completed each day so that I'm not checking boxes all day long - only if I truly have to do a reschedule. I don't want to keep a tablet handy either. I just print out sheets for the kids (sometimes for myself too) and write all over those. Anything that needs changing at the end of the week, I do it then or at the start of the next before I print the next week. Graham - Weekly Lesson Plan.pdf
                          Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                          DS (MP2) - 7/8
                          DS (K) - 6

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                            I'd love to know if there's a way for MP to have a CM file (say, 7M), that you can then import/update pre-formatted rows from substituted subjects (kind of like mail merge...?) and then print on demand/bind to send to the person who placed the order. I would gladly pay more for a fully customized CM that I don't have to copy/paste, use sticky notes in, or add adhesive labels to.

My husband does data merge in InDesign for one of our clients. I'm going to see if he knows of a way this idea could work! (But would the POD part work for MP??)
                            I am NOT the technology person, so I have no idea if this would work for us, but I will certainly pass the idea along! Thank you!
                            Michael
                            Memoria Press

Comment

Updating. Google Classroom now has a reasonably well-functioning grade book. You can create assignments in each class by copying and pasting from the digital lesson plans. These will show up in both teacher and student Google Calendar and also on an assignments dashboard. It looks like the teacher can drag to change due date from Google Calendar. You can assign due date times if you wish and it is possible to print a weekly calendar view. Classroom.google.com
                              Last edited by bean; 07-09-2019, 07:23 AM.
                              Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Working...
                              X