X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBentley
    replied
    Forehead Smack.

I just realized a very crucial part of the Lit guides that I've just missed. I don't know why I missed it. I guess I assumed that the assignments were being listed under each book (i.e. these are the Study guide assignments for the day and this is the book passage). Basically, I've been making my son listen to the book on Audible first, then complete his vocabulary on day one. Then on day 2, we read it again together, and complete the comprehension questions. I didn't pick up on the fact that the vocabulary section that is actually filled out in the student guide should be part of the "pre-read". Now that it's pointed out here, I pulled out my guides and sure enough, it explicitly states to do the written vocabulary BEFORE the first reading.

That would have made Animal Folk Tales make a lot more sense I think. We really struggled though that one for some reason.

I'm learning.

Sheesh...

Leave a comment:

• momgineer
    replied
    What you are seeing is a switch from two chapters per week to four chapters per week. It’s not a permanent switch. In older grades some books are schedules two chapters per week and others are four per week and a few times it switches up mid book just depending on how long chapters are.
    With two chapters per week, the student does pre-reading and reading one day and does the rest of study guide the lesson the next day. Sometimes a rereading is assigned, other times it is not.
    In four chapters a week, it could be broken up to do all of a chapter in a day and all of the next chapter the next day. But MP breaks it up where you do pre reading and reading one day, do the rest of the study guide lesson the next day but then instead of waiting till the next day for pre reading and reading the next chapter you start it that day.
    Here is how that looks in our house: day one do pre reading and reading and assign study guide comp questions for homework. Day two go over study guide questions and do the discussion questions and anything else to finish that chapter. Do pre reading for next chapter and assign reading and work book comp questions for that next chapter. Day three go over comp questions, discussion and other study guide activities then do pre reading for third chapter and assign reading and comp questions. And on and on.
    If my student isn’t doing independent answering of questions yet (they usually aren’t up for this till 4th or 5th grade) then I assign reading as homework and the next day do the study guide together and do the prep reading for the next chapter and assign the next reading. What this allows is the ability to have the student read I dependently but still do all study guide work together in one sitting. If all of one chapter was assigned each day I’d have to do pre reading with them, send them off to read (and do comp questions if they are independent on that) then come back to go over study guide and discussion. I much prefer the lesson plan way where I go over the study guide from the previous chapter and do pre reading for the next chapter all at one sitting.
    As far as re reading- during pre reading the student should familiarize themselves with the comp questions. As they read they can mark the answers in the book to find them easily the next day when they answer questions. Or they can simply remember what they read and look back up what they forgot or if they need a quote. There isn’t usually a need to re read fully- just the sections to help answer the questions. By this age the assigned readings are getting pretty long and it takes too long do do a full re read and still do four chapters a week. It is usually not necessary to re read by this age. Although sometimes I think a multi chapter re read is assigned on Friday to re read what was slowly studied that week after having read and done the guide for those chapters. More of a re read and get deeper comprehension now that you have studied it.

Leave a comment:

• MBentley
    replied
    Roger that!

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied
    The lesson plans could vary for rereading based on our teachers and how much time they have in class. The easiest thing for you to do is to follow them as they are written, and if rereading isn't assigned but you feel like your student would benefit from it, add it in. The lesson plans represent a guide to our classrooms, but each teacher varies them throughout the year, based on their class. Sometimes you get behind and have to skip something, sometimes your class just doesn't get a concept like you want them to, so you reteach. Things happen. I used to rewrite every weekend because I got further than I thought in some subjects and not far enough in others. That is the instinct of the teacher, using the lesson plans as a starting point, but knowing that they aren't hard and fast. They are flexible.

So start with them as written, but feel free to tweak in order to meet your individual student's needs.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• MBentley
    replied
    Okay I saw that several times where the students read silently. Are you saying the second reading isn't scheduled at all? As in, it's no longer necessary for a second read through? From here on out, I am unlikely to see "re-read" on literature? I'm asking because I'm in the middle of inputting everything and all other subjects I've input so far into my planner have a "re-read" day (Christian Studies, Greek myths). Whether or not the kiddo reads out loud, I'm just trying to understand the change in format from two reads to one, and the blending of two chapters on the same day. i'm trying to see how reading on day 1 will facilitate answering the comprehension questions on day 2 (without a re-read).

I've been copying and pasting for the last 6 hours so I'm trying to make sure I'm not doing something stupid. Going to make another pot of coffee.

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied
    Hello.

The rereading in 3rd grade is generally the students reading silently at home. We don't reread the chapters aloud in class like we do in the primary grades because we generally have fluent readers by now. By third grade, we are practicing silent reading, read aloud, and listening to the teacher read. In primary, we are spending the majority of our time listening to the student read aloud because we are still working on fluency.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied
    Ahaha, that's so funny. I just looked at my MP2 manual and saw at the end of the week it said to re-read all. Crazy small print. ;-) I never forced it, but the Beatrix Potter ones were enjoyable for her to reread. We stopped re-reading during LHBW unless she couldn't answer the comprehension questions or find them in the text right away.

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied
    At least for the one-year plans in 3A, you don't read Ch 4 until Friday.

It's all about workflow and pairing easy, shorter tasks with longer, harder tasks. I don't know if printing the page would help, but the flow goes like this for Paddington:

Monday
    Ch 2 Prereading (Notes/Vocab take the least time)
    Read Ch 2 (takes the most time--20 pages for each chapter)
    Ch 2 Quotes/Discussion (easy & takes the least time)

Tues
    Ch 2 Comprehension Qs & Enrichment (takes the most time)

Ch 3 Prereading (usually takes the least time)

Wed
    Read Ch 3 (takes 1/2 the time)
    Quotes/Discussion (takes other 1/2 the time)

Thurs
    Ch 3 Comprehension Qs & Enrichment (takes the most time)

Ch 4 Prereading (takes the least time)

Friday
    Read Ch 4
    (and although it doesn't say it, I'm assuming it means to do quotations, discussion AND comprehension questions, the latter being left out)
    Review Ch 1-4 for Quiz

I can see how well thought-out this pacing is when paired with the workload for the rest of MP3. I like that it's broken up to tack easy tasks onto the end of more challenging tasks like writing.

Leave a comment:

• MBentley
    replied
    Originally posted by enbateau View Post
    And yes, even toward the end of MP2, they move away from reading a chapter twice for content and such.
    I'm confused. I'm still finishing up 2nd Lit and it does require at least 1 re-read for everything. In the first 2 books of 3rd (Farmer Boy and Charlotte's Web) both have a 2nd reading too. But that gets phased out around here?

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied
    So, the reason you see two chapters "on the same day" is that the child has supposedly done the notes and vocabulary first, before reading the chapter, then he reads the chapter and does the quotations and discussion questions the day of reading, then does the comprehension questions the next day, hopefully having pre-read the questions and underlined where the answers would be in the book itself. Then you're starting the next chapter's pre-reading activity (vocab and notes) to get the student excited about and prepared for reading the next day. It just sort of breaks this up. And yes, even toward the end of MP2, they move away from reading a chapter twice for content and such.

Leave a comment:

• MBentley
    started a topic 3rd Grade Literature Lesson Plans Question

3rd Grade Literature Lesson Plans Question

So I'm in the middle of creating my master 3rd grade schedule in that digital planner I use. It's taking a while. However, when I get to "A Bear Called Paddington", the format of the lesson changes. It seems to want the students to work on 2 different chapters on the same day. For example:

Week 24, Thursday

A Bear Called Paddington Study Guide Chapter 3
    - Comprehension Questions
    - Enrichment (as time allows)
    A Bear Called Paddington Study Guide Chapter 4
    - Reading Notes
    - Vocabulary
    - Read Chapter 4

The same thing happens for Mr. Popper's Penguins.

In the past, there was basically 2 days of reading the same chapter with one day devoted to Vocabulary and another to the Comprehension/Discussion. Now, that is broken so that previous chapters Comprehension happens on the same day as another chapter's vocabulary. I also see that there isn't a second reading of the same chapter. Is that "reading twice" requirement gone from this point forward?
Working...
X