Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a Core Guide for our situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, I did not realize that Latin Christiana would not be completed in SC 5/6...that's an important point of consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Eve View Post
      I have gone back to reading the forum more than offering my thoughts , but since I seem to fit into this post perfectly , I would like to get into the boat with you ladies! We did MP K-2 .We used a different phonics & math program from the start and sometimes added other things it . For third we got a bit thrown off because of too many different things added to the mix and ended up using CLE and MP. My daughter is in 4 th grade. We are in the 407 spot with CLE math& LA & finished bible a couple of months ago so we decided to start learning some of the memory verses for MP CS1 early since the first couple are long. I took Christine's suggestion from another and now this post and bought the SC5/6 manual and 3A . This will help us pick up a few things that need to be covered before jumping into a full core which for the most part we plan to do in 6th , using 5M or SC7/8 depending on the look of it . We are one of the families that could benefit from the SC track because of the time constraint we have in our schedule with my daughter being a competitive dancer. It is a great option and can be tweaked to be more challenging. We did order all the student books for writing . My daughter wanted the challenge of the full memory verses and the writing in EG , so we are doing all of that. She will be reading My Side of the Mountain , The Moffats to do that part of Intro to Comp , and Cricket in Times Square ... because the length of the books& poetry already scheduled will coincide well. She has already read the other literature. We are subbing the 3rd grade Rod& Staff science for CLE 5 because that covers the nature sciences that MP covers in the grammar stage . We don't want to miss any of the great read - alouds from MP and we aren't caught up with all so we are following the scheduling of 3A and inserting the 5/6 ones where we find a book we've already read . We are also doing the 3A cursive , I like the added copybook. We have been learning the states& capitals& presidents SC4 style but I can't see us being done unless we rush , so we will be doing it as written in the new guide using the student book by region and treat it like a new subject even though a good amount are already memorized . It will just make the subject that much easier , I def agree with that suggestion above for myself too. We are still using CLE for LA& math . My daughter loves it and gets LA done quickly. A slight overload but ok. My only unsettled subject and question is with Latin . I own Prima and LC . But , we really just started Prima we ended up really doing the introduction level of it like in SC3 because of time , that being our suffering subject in terms of time spent not lack of understanding or love for it for sure! It just seems like such a waste to toss it aside before completing to start LC in 5 th but at the same time if we don't start LC with any of these cores I have it seems that we will be slightly off balance . Also , wouldn't it be nice to get the Zodiac study from Prima when we are doing Myths since we are not doing Astronomy this year ? And then the stars add in from the copybook? I'd love your thoughts on this ! We are also up to Clara Barton in American Studies , yes slightly simpler work but my daughter now KNOWS who these people are , the times and events and just has a nice grasp on AH without it being at all tedious. I actually have enjoyed the seemless way she has learned to write quality paragraphs about each historical figure. I definitely hope for more compostition style books for the upper grades from Cheryl. If not I will probably go the WWE& Skill route with my daughter also , since starting out there was successful. Intro to Comp has been a great fit too.
      I just want to add something that has been great fun and helpful for us... I think I gleaned this idea from Jen formerly from Japan! With her Bookshark history , I think she said she used the 200 questions flashcards when applicable . Well we started using them as well with the SC AH and with the quotes , timeline cards and facts we are up to 62 of the 200 questions! There is a lot of meat to be gotten from the SC curriculum ! We have loved the enrichment portion of MP and this is what we have done to keep it in without having to search outside of it and get thrown off track . We are looking forward to Creating Art& Music Appreciation .
      I am happy to have moms on this form to move through this curriculum with at a different pace for various reasons , it is so helpful! Forgive my extra long post , getting into mix! And , thank you all for your insight!
      A note or question....., Intro to Comp was changed to line up with the current 3rd grade curriculum. The Moffats is still included, but added to the end. So, you could do Moffats (I have to search to find the book Michael suggested Moffats replaces in 3rd as my memory is fading me on that at the moment), but it is not necessary any more as they did update Intro to Comp.

Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by JenB12 View Post
        Also, I did not realize that Latin Christiana would not be completed in SC 5/6...that's an important point of consideration.
        YES! So, you can always do digital plans and place them all in a binder. In your case though, you could do the 3A plans for Latin and then buy the SC 5/6 guide. (if you buy a core and need a swap in a subject, you can get the plans for that subject as a download. - you would just need to request this). As you have finished Farmer Boy already, you could do the additional supplemental activities at the back of Intro to Comp + Moffats (not scheduled in any curriculum guide now). (There are individual plans for JUST the Moffats, if you wanted). I don't think Moffats is a total replacement for Farmer Boy, but if you end a little early on Literature, I think life will still be good!

At the end of the year, you would just need to evaluate. Cheryl has mentioned she hopes for 7/8 to be released late this year, or sometime in the spring next year. 9/10 would come next, etc. Beginning at the 5/6 level, there will be a one year and two year option available.
        Christine

(2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

The Moffats replaces Poppers& Paddington, is that what you were asking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Eve View Post
            The Moffats replaces Poppers& Paddington, is that what you were asking about?
            Yes!! I could not remember which books you would not do, if you did the Moffats.
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post

YES! So, you can always do digital plans and place them all in a binder. In your case though, you could do the 3A plans for Latin and then buy the SC 5/6 guide. (if you buy a core and need a swap in a subject, you can get the plans for that subject as a download. - you would just need to request this). As you have finished Farmer Boy already, you could do the additional supplemental activities at the back of Intro to Comp + Moffats (not scheduled in any curriculum guide now). (There are individual plans for JUST the Moffats, if you wanted). I don't think Moffats is a total replacement for Farmer Boy, but if you end a little early on Literature, I think life will still be good!

At the end of the year, you would just need to evaluate. Cheryl has mentioned she hopes for 7/8 to be released late this year, or sometime in the spring next year. 9/10 would come next, etc. Beginning at the 5/6 level, there will be a one year and two year option available.
              This sounds like a great possible plan!
              Thank you again!

Comment

One of the reasons I replaced Farmer Boy ( we completed it) with My Side of the Mountain was because I called MP to ask the length of time it should take to complete, since there are no lesson plans yet, and they projected 8 weeks. I thought the poetry days for FB would be somewhat complimentary to this story as well. For us , Cricket .. Is replacing Charlotte's Web ,then the Moffats would replace the books it was meant to replace at the end. I know you already did Cricket.. , perhaps another 4 th grade selection might work? Everyone of course has their own preference , surprisingly to me all the plans divided by subject in a notebook for me ended up not to be as appealing as I thought it would be this year . I felt like I was constantly flipping through to see where we were , instead of having the nice layout of the week to look at. It is a lot less confusing to look at 2 open guides to the same week than the constant flipping . I think you would be much happier with the 5/6 guide& 3A . If you want to accelerate a subject too , then that option is right there on the same week. Just a suggestion from being in the midst of doing it from a binder for the first time this year.

Comment

Working...
                X